Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Was More at Fault???
Sandra 32 60.38%
Police 17 32.08%
I can't choose. They are exactly equally at fault. 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's certainly possible that she was but it shouldn't have happened while in custody as there was no justification for it. This story really isn't about her.
Stop the madness. She said NO on the form when asked if she was suicidal. Not the jail's fault. She owns ALL of it herself. Are you under the impression that prisons and the CO's are responsible when someone gets stabbed to death in prison? Well they aren't.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Stop the madness. She said NO on the form when asked if she was suicidal. Not the jail's fault.
She noted that she had been suicidal before but that really isn't the point. She should have never been arrested. As an aside though, I can't imagine putting plastic bags in jail cells. This is something anyone should know is not a good idea.

Quote:
She owns ALL of it herself. Are you under the impression that prisons and the CO's are responsible when someone gets stabbed to death in prison? Well they aren't.
That would depend, but again, this isn't really about her.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Stop the madness. She said NO on the form when asked if she was suicidal. Not the jail's fault. She owns ALL of it herself. Are you under the impression that prisons and the CO's are responsible when someone gets stabbed to death in prison? Well they aren't.
She indicated on a form that she signed that she had attempted suicide in 2014. It was the jail's responsibilty to put her on suicide watch, why do you think the Texas Commission on Jails wrote them up for it after she died? Quit being obtuse in order to be an apologist for this useless POS cop

Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course she committed suicide, that's irrefutable, but the insane amount of time spent on these forums dreaming up reasons to excuse the cop and blame her?

Emotional instability is not a capital offense

As I said (I believe in this thread) I think that a--hole power hungry cop should be fired.

As right wing as I am I hate totalitarian nazi cops; they are part of what is going wrong in this country.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Lesson learned...do not change lanes without signalling in Texas, unless you want to hang yourself in jail.

'On July 10, an officer stopped Bland for not signaling during a lane change in Waller County, Texas, 50 miles northwest of Houston. The Chicago-area native was in Texas to start a new job.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEeSOYAaUs

Video shows arrest of Sandra Bland, woman found days later hanging in Texas jail cell - CBS News
you obviously really do not know the whole story and you do not live in Texas. I did, for 13 years, I think all kids are taught turn signals are put on cars just for fun. NO one in Texas uses them. There is a lot more to this story than you want to accept.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I think that Sandra was depressed, upset and then suicidal because she was agitated by not having any cigarettes to smoke (ever been with a smoker trying to quit?) and not having her friend answer her calls requesting that he come down and bail her out.

From the video, Sandra Bland's body language was very defiant. Maybe because of the blacklivesmatter movement, she thought that she could get away with talking back to the officer. I know that I will never be in her situation because I never talk back to police officers (I've had my share of speeding tickets over the years, all over the country), even if they have the wrong impression of the situation. I feel that it can all be sorted out later on. I am always polite to the officer, have my drivers license and registration handy, and have my hands on the steering wheel as they approach my open window.

I did see an article about Texas cracking down on distracted drivers. Not using a turn signal is indeed very dangerous because it can lead to collisions between cars moving to the same lane at the same time.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that Sandra was depressed, upset and then suicidal because she was agitated by not having any cigarettes to smoke (ever been with a smoker trying to quit?) and not having her friend answer her calls requesting that he come down and bail her out.

From the video, Sandra Bland's body language was very defiant. Maybe because of the blacklivesmatter movement, she thought that she could get away with talking back to the officer. I know that I will never be in her situation because I never talk back to police officers (I've had my share of speeding tickets over the years, all over the country), even if they have the wrong impression of the situation. I feel that it can all be sorted out later on. I am always polite to the officer, have my drivers license and registration handy, and have my hands on the steering wheel as they approach my open window.

I did see an article about Texas cracking down on distracted drivers. Not using a turn signal is indeed very dangerous because it can lead to collisions between cars moving to the same lane at the same time.
I worked in a jail and never encountered a suicide or attempt because a smoker was having nicotine withdrawls. She admitted depression, she admitted a previous suicide attempt she had significant evidence of self-cutting, something that every one who works in a jail would NORMALLY recognize as a reason to put the individual on suicide watch.

I am sure that everyone who posts on these forums is absolutely polite and courteous with Police Officers. I am also aware that part of a Police Officers training (a BIG part) involves how to deal with difficult people, because unfortunately, people do get upset and angry at times- and cops are generally taught NOT to escalate a situation.

As far a the horrible danger of not using a turn signal..I'm sorry, I don't buy it. It "could" be dangerous but to claim it is de facto a dangerous act is just laughable. On roads with no traffic, few people use signals. When pulling over for an emergency vehicle (which is what Sandra Bland did) I would guess that fewer than one in ten drivers signal before they pull to the right.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

As far a the horrible danger of not using a turn signal..I'm sorry, I don't buy it. It "could" be dangerous but to claim it is de facto a dangerous act is just laughable. On roads with no traffic, few people use signals. When pulling over for an emergency vehicle (which is what Sandra Bland did) I would guess that fewer than one in ten drivers signal before they pull to the right.
The cop would be doing the signaling for them.

Cops are lazy, and don't like doing other people's responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies