Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Thanks for digging this up & exposing this fraud.
What fraud???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lets see what you had to say about the price of oil in the past.. I wonder how many times you've flip flopped on the issue.

The Keystone pipeline will have no effect on our gas prices. In fact, the pipeline will actually increase the price of gas in the Midwest. This is because Canada will then have the means to export globally whereas now most of it is piped only as far as the Midwest creating an abundant supply (supply/demand effect on price) there
So increasing the supply of oil from Canada will increase the price of gas, but increasing the supply of oil from Iran is causing it to fall?

Please share with me whats so special about the Iran oil.

So increasing the supply of oil from off shore isnt going to reduce the price of gas, but only that special oil from Iran can do it..

Again, whats so special about it?

So gas was going to go higher, not that long ago and the only solution was alternative fuel sources..

So if we drilled more, it wouldnt matter if we increased the supply, because they would just export it. Since all oil enters the same world wide supply, please share with me why iran oil entering the supply is dropping the price, but not if the US drilled more and allowed that to enter the supply?

Ahhh, oil went up because of speculation. Got it, so what happened to all the speculators? Did they kill themself or something?

is the President, or not, responsible for the price of oil?

Ahh, its the AVERAGE price of gas during Bush that matters, but not Obamas..

Ooooh, the price of gas prices fell because we had a recession under Bush.. I guess this means the economy is tanking under Obama.. oh wait..

Right before gas prices hit record levels

So Presidents cant control the price of gas? A minute ago Bush was responsible..

So the only way to reduce the price of gas is to nationalize the oil companies?

Guess you were wrong again..

Wait, I thought green energy was dropping the price of gas, dramatically.. haha

So they hit an all time record for early February, despite all of the "successes" listed above? ooooh my..

So we shouldnt rely upon another country to supply us with oil.. ooh wait, iran? yeah, now its a good idea..

ooh I could go on, but I think the amount of flip flopping the left will do in order to claim Obama is "successful" while making excuses for his failures, is very obvious
You take quotes out of context which make this entire post meaningless. Perhaps you want to review the supply and demand ecomonics for pricing. Economics Basics: Supply and Demand | Investopedia

The Keystone Pipeline, if built, would increase the price of gas in the Midwest. The reason is then Canada can ship it down to a port city in Texas for export on the global market. Get it? The Keystone Pipeline would decrease supply in the Midwest. Not rocket science. Keystone XL Won't Lower Gas Prices, It Might Raise Them - Forbes

Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Keystone Pipeline would decrease supply in the Midwest. Not rocket science.
Just so we have this clear. Iranian oil that will will most likely never make it to US producers is going to lower prices but a product being produced in Canada and piped to US refineries will increase prices? Seems to me you are going around circles.

That said if there is a market for oil in the Midwest that needs to be filled because it's being diverted by the pipeline it's all the incentive another producer needs. That's economics 101, if there is a demand for a product someone will fill that demand.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Day after this "deal", fuel prices went up a nickle.. Why's that ? anybody?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
You take quotes out of context which make this entire post meaningless. Perhaps you want to review the supply and demand ecomonics for pricing. Economics Basics: Supply and Demand | Investopedia

The Keystone Pipeline, if built, would increase the price of gas in the Midwest. The reason is then Canada can ship it down to a port city in Texas for export on the global market. Get it? The Keystone Pipeline would decrease supply in the Midwest. Not rocket science. Keystone XL Won't Lower Gas Prices, It Might Raise Them - Forbes
YOUR OWN POSTS disputed supply and demand economics,

Oppose pipeline, oppose offshore drilling etc..

Irans oil is going ot go on the GLOBAL market ALSO.. The VERY SAME global market Canadian oil enters..

Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
YOUR OWN POSTS disputed supply and demand economics,

Oppose pipeline, oppose offshore drilling etc..

Irans oil is going ot go on the GLOBAL market ALSO.. The VERY SAME global market Canadian oil enters..
No, my posts don't.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Lets see what you had to say about the price of oil in the past.. I wonder how many times you've flip flopped on the issue.

The Keystone pipeline will have no effect on our gas prices. In fact, the pipeline will actually increase the price of gas in the Midwest. This is because Canada will then have the means to export globally whereas now most of it is piped only as far as the Midwest creating an abundant supply (supply/demand effect on price) there
So increasing the supply of oil from Canada will increase the price of gas, but increasing the supply of oil from Iran is causing it to fall?

Please share with me whats so special about the Iran oil.

So increasing the supply of oil from off shore isnt going to reduce the price of gas, but only that special oil from Iran can do it..

Again, whats so special about it?

So gas was going to go higher, not that long ago and the only solution was alternative fuel sources..

So if we drilled more, it wouldnt matter if we increased the supply, because they would just export it. Since all oil enters the same world wide supply, please share with me why iran oil entering the supply is dropping the price, but not if the US drilled more and allowed that to enter the supply?

Ahhh, oil went up because of speculation. Got it, so what happened to all the speculators? Did they kill themself or something?

is the President, or not, responsible for the price of oil?

Ahh, its the AVERAGE price of gas during Bush that matters, but not Obamas..

Ooooh, the price of gas prices fell because we had a recession under Bush.. I guess this means the economy is tanking under Obama.. oh wait..

Right before gas prices hit record levels

So Presidents cant control the price of gas? A minute ago Bush was responsible..

So the only way to reduce the price of gas is to nationalize the oil companies?

Guess you were wrong again..

Wait, I thought green energy was dropping the price of gas, dramatically.. haha

So they hit an all time record for early February, despite all of the "successes" listed above? ooooh my..

So we shouldnt rely upon another country to supply us with oil.. ooh wait, iran? yeah, now its a good idea..

ooh I could go on, but I think the amount of flip flopping the left will do in order to claim Obama is "successful" while making excuses for his failures, is very obvious
Great post.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM

188 posts, read 193,132 times
Quote:
Unless you consider fighting against ISIS as terrorism against the US, I have no idea what you are talking about. 1979 is long over. Should we have keep our war going against Britain also?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/wo...s-us-says.html
Iran is considered a state sponsor of terrorism by the US.

Also, I saw some youtube video saying that Al Qaeda pops into Iraq from Iran.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Interesting. I always thought conservatives were happy about lower gas/oil prices. Remember when conservatives chanted, "Drill baby drill?" It was their mantra.

Now, they don't want gas prices to go down because Obama is president? LOL!

Gee, what else would you like to not see: lower food prices, lower healthcare costs, intact social security, Osama dead,........?
All of us who drive gas-powered automobiles would like to see gas prices go down, and it won't just because Obama made the deal with Iran. We import most of the oil from Saudi Arabia and other OPEC members, and if oil prices did drop, the Iran deal had nothing to do with it.

On the other items, I don't know which fantasy world you're living in, but have you shopped in a grocery store lately? I'm paying a lot more for groceries now than I did since Obama took office, not to mention higher health care costs and insurance premiums, and I have no idea why you're boasting about "Osama [being] dead", you kill one cockroach, that doesn't mean you've eliminated every one of them.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:13 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times
Exclamation Oil is still finite and depleting every second underground

Quote:
The price of oil has been dropping in anticipation of a deal with Iran....

Oil prices dive below $51 as Iran deal looms - Jul. 6, 2015

Now that a deal has been reached, we can buy oil from Iran again and gas is predicted to fall below $2.00 per gallon!

$2 gas will be back after Iran nuclear deal - Jul. 14, 2015
Do you plan to waste more oil for that temporary reason? Most Americans seem to. They don't bother to understand geology and just take what's put in front of them like robots. The average blind taker thinks lower oil prices are a cue to burn more oil, or run out and buy the V-8 option. It makes no sense when you consider how badly we'll need oil for decades to come.

Geology shows that oil is finite at any price point. The price at any given time is a function of global supply & demand, current extraction flow-rates, refinery capacity and politics. None of those things are creating "more oil" at its underground source. Global crude oil production plateaued in 2005 and we've been seeing wild price swings since then, as tight oil tries to fill the gap and OPEC boosts its output to starve U.S. shale producers.

Oil is constantly being depleted around the clock and money is a false measure of future supply. A falling price doesn't mean oil is more "plentiful" except in the context of short attention spans. A resource can only be more plentiful (in future terms) if it's not finite, such as the capacity for certain plants to keep growing. But even they need finite amounts of water, land and sunlight impinging on the Earth.

Abiotic oil (aka abiogenic petroleum) has never been proved, despite wishful experiments by the likes of Thomas Gold. The peaking dates of oil producing nations show that oil follows the depletion bell-curve we'd expect from a finite resource that ramps up and fades away. Shale oil fracking peaks much faster than conventional crude wells due to its thin deposit layers and much less total volume. Kerogen shale remains a pipe dream with very poor net energy returns, yet gets touted as America's Saudi Arabia. All such hype ignores the fundamental law of oil extraction; you are pulling it from finite reservoirs and you must put energy into get energy out (EROI or ERoEI).

I think all Americans should be taught this in high-school. It's difficult to witness so much ignorance of such a critical resource. Most people pragmatically treat oil as disposable once it's cheap enough for them to afford. That's dumb and dumber as it keeps getting scarcer under the ground, with no likely replacement for its unique properties of energy density and easy portability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies