Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 04:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times

Advertisements

[quote=InformedConsent;40553505]If food was costing them SO much, and it was SO hard for them to get, why are 44% of adult SNAP participants obese? [quote]

From the USDA:

Quote:
Food deserts are defined as parts of the country vapid of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas. This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and healthy food providers.

This has become a big problem because while food deserts are often short on whole food providers, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, instead, they are heavy on local quickie marts that provide a wealth of processed, sugar, and fat laden foods that are known contributors to our nation’s obesity epidemic. The food desert problem has in fact become such an issue that the USDA has outlined a map of our nation’s food deserts, which I saw on Mother Nature Network.

No surprise.... most at risk areas are in the conservative south....

Again.... it depends on what food you are eating.

Quote:
No, I want to see liberals stop enabling adult SNAP participants' obesity and ruining their health. What kind of a sick person physically abuses others like that just so they can hypocritically "feel good" about themselves?
But you support policies that causes a race to the bottom.....

Is it a coincidence that states with the most SNAP usage, lowest educationally attainment, and most Medicaid births are mostly conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 04:23 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This might come as a surprise to you... overeating does in fact cause obesity.
LOL, you cannot assign cause.

Specifically, because you love to redirect, I'll state it again. And be specific. And make it a different color.

You cannot assign a causal relationship to SNAP use and obesity. In the context of this thread, the context of NHANES, the context of the OIG report, etc. you cannot assign cause. I know you want to, but, you cannot.

I think most people with an understanding of this thread, understand the basics of consumption, digestion, activity, energy in, energy out, etc. Some people clearly understand the multifaceted drivers (and mediators) of obesity, many of them working together simultaneously. With this, we are beyond those simple principles. Even though we've shared about 30 pages worth of back and forth, you forget them every time you post.

You cannot assign cause in this context, you cannot assign a causal relationship to SNAP use and obesity.

So, now that we've covered this again, can you please answer a few of my questions? Thank you.

I won't post them all again, you can scroll above. But, this, I reiterate again, because I want to better understand your rationale for the focus on this program, and, what you may do, outside of the City Data world, to actually effect some sort of positive change?

Do you work with the poor? In public health? Governmental policy? Nutrition? Research? Social Services? You've ranted on this thread for two days now, but, in reality, outside of City-Data, do you actually try to improve the system (and the health of the poor children and adults you have in your mind when posting these graphs), the system that you've dedicated about 15 pages worth of commentary alone to via this thread?

Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 PM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Again.... it depends on what food you are eating.
It ALSO depends on HOW MUCH they're eating. STOP giving them MORE than they need to eat the recommended daily nutrition. That means eliminating overlap and the duplication of 2 or more FNS programs for the same meals.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
This might come as a surprise to you... overeating does in fact cause obesity.

Both the OIG and FNS authorities themselves have gone on record stating FNS participants are getting overlapping and duplicate FNS program food services and food stamps. They're getting too much in public assistance food benefits and are eating too much. 44% of adult SNAP participants are obese, as opposed to only 33% of the income-eligible who don't get food stamps, and only 32% of higher income earners.
Again.... you should actually find a website with a direct link to cause. Data on what exactly each separate group's nutrition would be much more helpful in establishing cause, along with your information on funding. As of yet, you haven't established nutrition, which is significant in obesity.

Again.... We should be eliminating redundancies.... But you still support welfare right, as it is an issue of management and dispersion, not an issue of welfare working.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It ALSO depends on HOW MUCH they're eating. STOP giving them MORE than they need to eat the recommended daily nutrition. That means eliminating overlap and the duplication of 2 or more FNS programs for the same meals.
And nutrition...... YOU HAVE YET TO ADDRESS NUTRITION. You've just focused on the funding aspect with your links.

Can you address the food desert dilemma?

Old 07-25-2015, 04:30 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Quote:
Again, because many of you are so slow to catch on...

The obesity rate of poor people who don't get food stamps is only slightly higher than that of higher-income earners. But the poor's obesity rate takes a HUGE jump when they are given food stamps.
Maybe because they don't have food to eat.

I have been poor and was never on any assistance. We could afford rent on a room, gas for the car to get to work and some food. Car needed a new tire or some other occasional or surprise expenditure? We ate ramen or potatoes and nothing else for a month.

I think some people don't quite understand that there are poor people out there who do not get assistance and suffer along the best they can. You lose weight on 2 bricks of ramen every day for a month, believe me, but it's only $1.00 of food each day for 2 people and you can't buy fresh veggies or eggs on that.

That being said, I'm applauding the people here who are trying to educate about food deserts etc.

People see "fat!" and get all riled up and angry at the overweight people. It's worse when they're fat and poor! The food stamps system should be fixed, in my opinion, but the rest of the story has to be considered as well.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Again.... you should actually find a website with a direct link to cause.
You actually need a website to tell you that overeating causes obesity?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
And nutrition...... YOU HAVE YET TO ADDRESS NUTRITION. You've just focused on the funding aspect with your links.

Can you address the food desert dilemma?
Yes. Neither the USDA report nor the OIG report indicated SNAP recipients were undernourished. Quite the opposite. The USDA report indicated that SNAP recipients had a much higher obesity rate than the income-eligible who didn't receive SNAP benefits, and the OIG confirmed duplication of benefits for the same meals.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Maybe because they don't have food to eat.
Not true. 33% of them are obese, though adult food stamp recipients have an even higher obesity rate of 44%.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:22 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
I believe it. I worked at a grocery store in college. I could always tell when it was foodstamp card refill day because the store was flooded with fat black women who would approach the register with a cart filled to the top with groceries. Non foodstamp customers had carts that were only partially filled.

The majority of the items in the cart were garbage. Sodas, sugary juice drinks, cheap canned meats, Ramen soup, etc.

Had a 10yr old kid come up one time and try to buy a TracFone refill card with his mom's EBT card. Of course it didn't work. Pretty pathetic that these folks train and condition their young children on how to use foodstamp cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies