Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 05:23 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Also, I might add, the article you are quoting (that was part of an Ohio State archive), is six years old, using SNAP data from 1984-2002.
Yes, it's a LONGITUDINAL study. Do you know what that means? Longitudinal studies follow the same people for years, in this case, nearly 20 years. That's what makes the findings so valuable. The results aren't a snapshot. They're nearly 2 decades worth of data collected on the same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What? My response includes references to both the University longitudinal study and the USDA data.

Thank you, though, for continuing this discussion which enables me to inform all that those who receive food stamps have a higher obesity rate, even when controlled for income, education, and residential location.

You cannot cross pollinate data or outcomes from five different studies and reports, lol.

Those? You're lunping everyone together too. You cannot do this.

You should spend some time on a Coursera statistics course. It would then inform you of how silly you sound by repeating these things without any rational basis or understanding of research and stats.

Explain to us though, what "control" means in your own words, statistician. I didn't see anything in the full article regarding residential location--what geographical identifier did Zagorsky use?

Also, you never answered why White women receiving SNAP gained double the rate of pounds as their Black female counterparts did on your own 2006 quoted study?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's a LONGITUDINAL study. Do you know what that means? Longitudinal studies follow the same people for years, in this case, nearly 20 years. That's what makes the findings so valuable. The results aren't a snapshot. They're nearly 2 decades worth of data collected on the same people.
The researcher analyzed data pulled from the NSLY dataset.

The data is old. That's the point. There's tons of recent articles doing the same thing, using more recent data from the same program. You just had to search high and low to find a web site page embedded in an Ohio State archive, to try to further your agenda.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You cannot cross pollinate data or outcomes from five different studies and reports, lol.
There is no cross pollination. Both studies I cited find that food stamp recipients have higher obesity rates. One, a snapshot; the other, longitudinal.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
The researcher analyzed data pulled from the NYSL dataset.

The data is old. That's the point.
Do you have data more recent than May 2015 (USDA release) that finds that food stamp recipients don't have a higher obesity rate than income-eligible nonparticipants and those with higher incomes?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
There is no cross pollination. Both studies I cited find that food stamp recipients have higher obesity rates. One, a snapshot; the other, longitudinal.
Yes, that's cross pollination. You can't smush one study looking at a subset of people from 1984-2002, that may report X. Then take another study from 2012, that may report Y. Then include a percentage or rate from a third report, from another entity with a audit focus rather than a study, that may report Z. Finally, take all these different things together and design your own outcome.

It's not only illogical, it's against the principles of research.

I found multiple, recent PubMed studies that state differently. I can't pick and choose what I want to fit a theme. That's kinda what you're doing here and disregarding everything else every other poster is noting or contributing to the thread.

Why are white women receiving SNAP in the Zagorsky study gaining double the rate as their Black counterparts?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Why are white women receiving SNAP in the Zagorsky study gaining double the rate as their Black counterparts?
A combination of eating more and exercising less. Next question.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Do you have data more recent than May 2015 (USDA release) that finds that food stamp recipients don't have a higher obesity rate than income-eligible nonparticipants and those with higher incomes?
Yes, I linked quite a few recent 2015 articles about 20 pages ago but you disregarded those too for the sake of repeating the same three things.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Find me where it says that in the article the other poster linked, please.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep. Obesity doesn't discriminate. Eating too much results in higher obesity rates regardless of race or ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies