Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,996 times

Advertisements

In you guessed it...Detroit.

Satanists unveil sculpture in Detroit after rejection at Oklahoma capitol | US news | The Guardian

Quote:
A Satanic organisation unveiled a controversial bronze Baphomet sculpture in Detroit just before midnight on Saturday, after trying in vain to have it installed near a Ten Commandments monument in Oklahoma.

Due to planned demonstrations, the group, which is opposed to Bible-themed displays on government land, kept the location of the unveiling of its nine-foot-tall monument secret until the last moment, when it emailed the information to ticket holders.

The Satanic Temple unveiled the one-ton statue at an industrial building near the Detroit River just before 11.30pm local time as supporters cheered: “Hail Satan.” Some of the hundreds in attendance rushed to pose for photos.
Very fitting city.

The Satanic democrats have something to prostrate before other than an Obama cardboard cutout stolen from a trash pile now.

I give it a day before it's stolen and sold for scrap. Detroit is Detroit after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Excuse me.

But it's the hard right that keeps insisting on putting up religious icons on gummint property.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

Satanists unveil sculpture in Detroit after rejection at Oklahoma capitol | US news | The Guardian

Very fitting city.

The Satanic democrats have something to prostrate before other than an Obama cardboard cutout stolen from a trash pile now.

I give it a day before it's stolen and sold for scrap. Detroit is Detroit after all.
Let the Golden Calf sacrifices commence!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:

Very fitting city.

hope they didn't use copper

Old 07-27-2015, 07:09 PM

906 posts, read 712,810 times
I dont think this is acceptable

Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:

Very fitting city.

"Lawmakers in the socially conservative state responded with threats to seek the impeachment of the court’s justices and pledged to push for changes to the constitution."

Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Excuse me.

But it's the hard right that keeps insisting on putting up religious icons on gummint property.

Exactly! The statue was unveiled in Detroit, but their goal is to bring the statue to Arkansas, and place it near the ten commandments to promote religious freedom for all.
Most vitally, though, the group does not “promote a belief in a personal Satan.” By their logic, Satan is an abstraction, or, as Nancy Kaffer wrote for The Daily Beast last year, “a literary figure, not a deity — he stands for rationality, for skepticism, for speaking truth to power, even at great personal cost.”
“We chose Baphomet because of its contemporary relation to the figure of Satan and find its symbolism to be appropriate if displayed alongside a monument representing another faith,” Blackmore said.

The monument she refers to is a six-foot marble slab engraved with the Ten Commandments, controversially situated on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol. In 2012, state representative Mike Ritze fronted $10,000 out of his own pocket to have the marker installed in the shadow of the capitol’s dome, prompting the ire of those who believed it flagrantly violated the separation of church and state. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the state of Oklahoma; the Satanic Temple fought fire with fire. If the Christians could chisel their credo onto public property, the argument went, why couldn’t they?

I current live in Detroit, and this was all over the news. The unveiling was met with protests from Christian groups. The people coming to see the statue were highly supportive of the protesters expressing their religious freedom.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Wow, that sculptor sucks.

That statue doesn't look anything like Valerie Jarrett.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hope they didn't use copper
That was my first thought. lol

These morons must not have heard that Detroit's scrappers will steal copper from a live streetlight.

Or that two were killed when a building collapsed on them while they were stealing it's I BEAM. lol

My money says this sucker is scrapped by Thursday morning.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
How fitting.. poor Detroit. It was once a great American city... Sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies