Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 12:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
///////////////////////////////////////

No I lived there and everything is controlled to a point your rights are taken a way. American despite our problems is a much better place to live and raise Families.
Dumb, meaningless statement. You can't even back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I have a friend that moved to the Netherlands. She says the standard of living is much much higher than the U.S.

And their tech startup culture is one of the top 20 in the world.

The World

Old 08-01-2015, 12:53 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I'd much rather the U.S. be like the countries you've mentioned than places like Russia, North Korea, Iran, etc..

Bingo.

OP, I don't know if "liberals" want to turn the US into Europe. But it sure seem as though conservatives, or at least the GOP, want to turn the US into another India or China, with a very small but wealthy, privileged elite controlling the insanely low-paid, poorly educated masses, and little in between. They seem to want the US to adopt an Indian-style caste system.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:57 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I have a friend that moved to the Netherlands. She says the standard of living is much much higher than the U.S.

And their tech startup culture is one of the top 20 in the world.

The World
She's wrong about what she said.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
She's wrong about what she said.
She lives there. She's lived all over the U.S. her entire life. She can choose either country. Do you live in the Netherlands?

Old 08-01-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
She lives there. She's lived all over the U.S. her entire life. She can choose either country. Do you live in the Netherlands?
Been there plenty of times and I checked several sites like OECD, CIA FactBook, cost of living sites...in all cases the standard of living is higher in the USA than in Netherlands. One person's subjective opinion doesn't trump all other statistical data and other's opinions. Glad she's happy there , it's a nice country with a nice airport but I have zero desire to live there and I could if I wanted to.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Been there plenty of times and I checked several sites like OECD, CIA FactBook, cost of living sites...in all cases the standard of living is higher in the USA than in Netherlands. One person's subjective opinion doesn't trump all other statistical data and other's opinions. Glad she's happy there , it's a nice country with a nice airport but I have zero desire to live there and I could if I wanted to.
So you visited and checked some websites. I don't think she's basing her choice on your choice but the idea that the U.S. is the only place to live and European countries lack entrepreneurial innovation is quite incorrect. She'll likely sell her homes here now that she's found a home there to buy.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
So you visited and checked some websites. I don't think she's basing her choice on your choice but the idea that the U.S. is the only place to live and European countries lack entrepreneurial innovation is quite incorrect. She'll likely sell her homes here now that she's found a home there to buy.
At least they don't have 35 million illegals sucking off their social services and depressing wages. Everyone can make their own decision but I would have a much worse standard of living in Netherlands than I do in the USA.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
At least they don't have 35 million illegals sucking off their social services and depressing wages. Everyone can make their own decision but I would have a much worse standard of living in Netherlands than I do in the USA.
Well, she's very educated.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:33 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
I dont see what's so great about having no paid vacation days to improve health and family connections unlike the Netherlands which has 5 weeks for every worker, no right to paid time off to say goodbye to a dying parent, no paid time off to bond with a newborn baby and no right to overtime pay for tens of millions of people.

The conservative president Taft argued that every worker should have the right to 2-3 months of paid vacation in 1910. Today, a 100 years later, the conservatives are acting like modern day slave drivers, and trying to convince the peons that they should embrace their shackles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies