Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:30 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,661,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Not really, they can't afford to. If you are talking about taking a train a few miles to the next country like us going from one state to another you might be right, but they aren't going to other continents.
I must disagree here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,988,615 times
Quote:
Not really, they can't afford to. If you are talking about taking a train a few miles to the next country like us going from one state to another you might be right, but they aren't going to other continents.
Not really. According to the US government, the US registered 305 331 visitors from Denmark in 2014. That is about 6% of the population of the country visiting the US in one year. In comparison, 0.08% of the Indian population visited the US in 2014. So people in Denmark visited the US at a rate of almost 100 times more than people in India last year.

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...ion_Report.pdf

Old 08-26-2015, 01:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,988,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm not sure. The medical system is 5-8% tax, and the mass transportation is not so costly and covers itself with the ticket prices.
In fact, 44% of health care spending in the US is public spending. That is pretty much the exact cost of the health care system in Western European countries. The American people pay about as much in taxes now for health care as other developed countries use on their universal health care system. The inefficiencies and waste in the US system is astounding.

Last edited by PCALMike; 08-26-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 01:59 PM

8,650 posts, read 9,165,955 times
Quote:
Funny you posted this. I saw an episode of Oprah where she was in Denmark talking to a local there and the propaganda was amazing. I use it as an example all the time. Oprah saw all the people riding bikes and not driving cars and she framed it as if they really care about the environment that's why they don't drive and the stupid local woman said "oh yeah, we take the environment very seriously." Then Oprah was taken inside her dinky little one room apartment and asked, "Where are your closets?" The local woman said "we don't have closets". Oprah responded with "Where do you keep all your stuff?" She replied, "We don't have stuff, we have what we need, food, drink and healthcare". The local woman went on to brag about how they can get UE for years upon years and how much they get for their taxes paid. Those people over there don't know what real life is like, they are drones to the system and don't know any better. Funny watching people pile in bags of groceries into their three wheeled bicycles. No thanks!!!!! One more thing, gas was over $10/gal
There is some truth to this, but we are a consumer oriented country now, where 75% of our work is service oriented, living in a Global consumer debt world, us leading the charge.........not working, will fail, is failing and finally no thanks.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM

8,650 posts, read 9,165,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
In fact, 44% of health care spending in the US is public spending. That is pretty much the exact cost of the health care system in Western European countries. The American people pay about as much in taxes now for health care as other developed countries use on their universal health care system. The inefficiencies and wasate in the US system is astounding.
Its catastrophic and deadly to some.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,786,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Go to Denmark (I've been twice). Lovely country, lovely people, and you won't see the 'horrors' you are prattling on about. The last time we visited it happened to be the weekend when students were graduating from high school: their tradition is that said students wear sailor's caps, in recognition of their seafaring history. It was a lot of fun to see the students having fun.

In Copenhagen, visit the Tivoli Gardens, where Walt Disney (while visiting with his wife and Art Linkletter and his wife), was inspired to build Disneyland.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain.
Well, damn! I keep thinking I have good ideas, and old Mark Twain has hit on almost all of them before my Great Grandpa was a gleam in anyone's eye! Coming from Missouri (home or Rush Limbaugh), he surely had some first hand experience with folks who had all the answers about everyone, but had never been out of their own hollow.

I lived for a couple years in Sweden many years ago. It was an eye opener. The cities were far more organized, cleaner, and had a generally nicer lifestyle than most of us. And they knew a bunch more about the world.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,265,238 times
Denmark mandatorily takes money for your vacation fund. You have no option. According to my mother who was born there.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,786,670 times
Quote:
They are satisfied because they don't know any better.
Perhaps, but I suspect they are much better traveled than your typical American.

Danes often get happiest folks in the world status. Perhaps delusion, but you could also argue their life quality must be pretty darn good.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,850,250 times
The population of Denmark is about the same as Houston and Chicago, combined.

Everyone is taxed 8% of their income before deductions and has skin in the game. The total of all progressive taxes is capped at 51.5%.

There are state, municipal and land taxes not to mention the 25% VAT, too.

63% own their own homes which are, on average, half the square footage of a U.S. home. 1/3 ride bikes everywhere and their appearances reflect their physical fitness.

About 3% of government spending goes towards defense and their incarceration rate is 73 compared to a mind blowing 707 in the U.S.

People don't worry about paying for healthcare, university education, paying the bills if they become employed or eating cat food when they become too old to work. They don't have the same motivations to save as the U.S. people, despite that most U.S. people don't.

Despite high taxes, Denmark consistently ranks as the happiest population in the world.

It works for them.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:27 PM

47,022 posts, read 26,109,380 times
Well, I will certainly follow this with interest. It appears I know a lot of wealthy Danes, what with car ownership being such a privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies