Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM

47,074 posts, read 26,198,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Then their car sales tax rate is 180%, which makes cars out of reach except for the wealthy.
Quote:
They have 480 cars per 1000 people.
So - 48% are wealthy. That sounds - good.

Now, let's be serious: Copenhagen, which holds 40% of the Danish population, was founded in 1167 and the streets weren't laid out for cars. So yes, people commute by bicycle and public transport. And the thing is, it works. Are Copenhagen apartments small? Yes. That's because Copenhagen is expensive. And it's expensive, weirdly, because it's a really attractive place to live.

Do Danes travel? Oh yes. Six weeks of vacation and winter weather that's designed to make you depressed, of course they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM

31,298 posts, read 20,823,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Are we really so much better because we spend an average of half an hour each way in our cars on our commute because we don't have public transit options? I live in a city with one of the best public transit systems in the US, but I still have to drive a car for 45 minutes to get 10 miles because it would take more than 2 hours via public transit. That's just not the case is much of Europe, including Denmark. I'd gladly give up my car in a second if it meant getting a first world transit system.
Not me. I love cars.

And BTW, Germany, Norway, Spain and Italy have almost as many cars per person as the USA.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Those are what we call useless statistics.
Come on, now. 6% of Danes traveled to one specific overseas destination. What's the percentage of US citizens who cross an ocean, per year?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,575,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Come on, now. 6% of Danes traveled to one specific overseas destination. What's the percentage of US citizens who cross an ocean, per year?
Denmark is a tiny country surrounded by many tiny countries.

The whole continent of Europe can be compared to US.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Scandinavians have a better lifestyle than we do. They work less, they are not angry like in the US, and they enjoy more time with the family.

Scandinavians countries would never allow their people to be replaced by illegal workers.
Having the highest debt ratio in the world would make me angry. So, no thanks.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,423,812 times
Quote:
What is the big deal about driving a car? I think it is boring and a waste of precious time.

In any event the car will disappear in the next 300 years, perhaps soon. Cars have only been around for a very short time. I think walking or biking to work is way better. A short work week with no worries is also incredibly nice.
I am a conservative, and actually agree with this. I live in a very walkable neighborhood and can go weeks without using my car other than to go to work. I walk to the grocery, drugs store, mall, dentist, barber, bank, etc. I enjoy that. It saves time, wear and tear on my car, and gets me off of my butt for some exercise.

But why not let the individual make that choice rather than taxing cars 180%, or gas 300%, in order to force everyone onto transit, bicycles and walking? Why not 'to each his own?' What if some politico decided that he didn't like walking or biking and decided to impose a massive bike tax and toll booths on sidewalks?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
What is the big deal about driving a car? I think it is boring and a waste of precious time.
Then don't buy one. Cars represent freedom. I love cars, and especially fast ones. None of my cars are boring and none of them waste any time at all.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
480 vehicles per 1000 people in a densely populated country with good public transit seems perfectly reasonable. So every family has at least one car according to that statistic. That's certainly very far from your initial claim that Denmark had "one of the lowest car ownership rates in the world."
Not even close. For example, car ownership is 29.1% in Copenhagen.

Copenhagenize.com - Bicycle Culture by Design

Old 08-26-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I don't know, but comparing that number to India is a useless statistic.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Not me. I love cars.

And BTW, Germany, Norway, Spain and Italy have almost as many cars per person as the USA.
I don't think you'll find many Danes who love the 180% vehicle tax - I sure don't - but it's really not that big of a deal, either. If you looked into what a car dealership in Denmark will charge for a car - before taxes - you'd realize that dealers and manufacturers are ripping you off.

A bare-bones Honda Fit like the one I drive over her - stick shift, no frills, love that thing - starts at about $15,000. In Denmark, with the 180% tax, I would pay how much? About 150,000 DKR, or $23,000, give or take. Turns out it's not just government who'll happily take what they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies