Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

I wonder how the movie compares to Notorious and Hustle & Flow. I thought both of those were decent, pretty good bored afternoon rentals. Of the two, I though Hustle & Flow was a little better.

Has anybody seen all three (including Straight Outta Compton) that could give a comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 AM

325 posts, read 255,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I used to listen to this kind of music when I was younger. Some beats are nice and the music gives you that "badass" feeling.

But I stopped. I want to have nothing to do with culture that glorifies crime, violence, disregard for society, glorifies "Gentle Giants" but sings "F the police", is only about "me me me and f everyone else", culture thats about glorifying you-lose-i-win instead of win-win.

I stopped after Zimmerman affair. I saw a man who defended himself vilified and persecuted and a thug glorified and that was the last straw for me. I donated to Zimmerman defense fund and decided never to give another dollar to anyone associated with this culture of depravity.

If you have kids who listen to this garbage, have a serious talk with them and explain to them what this music and culture really stand for and glorify.

P.S. Knock out game this.
I also want nothing to do with a culture where you lose your wife, job, dog and truck in such a sad proximity of events that drives you to self medicate through alcohol. That is why I don't listen to country and won't see a rodeo.

I will also have a serious talk with my kids and explain to them how important it is to earn "A" grades in school and not be in a position to listen to anything other than Bach or Mozart, and leave country music for the lower-middle class.

P.S. Get 'dis done for Jesus

Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Right, because those urban city dwellers were buying burned copies of music instead of paying for it.
Stealing music is not exclusive urban city dwellers. Why the hate?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So if white kids were illegally downloading music how were they paying to fund rap music as was previously stated?

Live shows are the main way artist make money now.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:10 PM

399 posts, read 547,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Rappers make the bulk of their money from white middle-class and upper-class suburban teens and young adults. Not from urban city dwellers. Be careful your presupposed prejudices are showing.
Unfortunately, these kids are too stupid to understand what this music stands for. That's why parents should educate them. And who buys it is another matter. What really matters is what this music glorifies and what it stands for. That's the problem. This music perfectly reflects the "hood ideology" which is a menace to society. An ideology where a black kid studying hard and getting good grades is seen as "too white" or "trying to be white" or "square" but the gentle giant thug is cool. What kind of a sick culture is this?

Last edited by vistas; 08-27-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, these kids are too stupid to understand what this music stands for. That's why parents should educate them. And who buys it is another matter. What really matters is what this music glorifies and what it stands for. That's the problem. This music perfectly reflects the "hood ideology" which is a menace to society. An ideology where a black kid studying hard and getting good grades is seen as "too white" or "trying to be white" or "square" but the gentle giant thug is cool. What kind of a sick culture is this?

Many kids at my son's high school listen to rap and it has a 97% graduation rate and 30% of these stupid kids have a higher than 4.0 gpa.

Most kids that listen to it don't dissect the lyrics. Most don't even care. It all about the beats. The kids that do care about the lyrics understand that these rappers are more or less using their music as social commentary or as a vehicle for storytelling.

The music reflects in many cases the life the artist live or lived. Should their stories not be told because you object?

How is a gangsta rap album any different than a gangster movie?

Where is your outrage against country music that promotes drinking and partying?

And your black kid ideology analogy is not a new one it's also one that is prevalent across all socioeconomic classes and races.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
It's pure, talentless garbage!
Thanks for that intelligent, well-informed opinion. You certainly brought a lot of valuable insight to this discussion.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
It's hard explaining things to people who honestly believe every member of one race behaves the same.
Lawlz.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Same feeling here and let your kids write down the lyrics and/or do the same and than you realize what you are singing as the word come out of your mouth combined with the music you often don't realize what they are actually singing and it is so bad that even if a white person say the words they are racists but it is so ok if they make millions singing and buying their music.

I guess we were so called racists when we bought their music and bought some clothes from their clothing lines but when we got sick of it and realized how stupid we actually were we all of a sudden were racists while we stopped buying their stuff when they started to cause everyone of being racists so in a way they turned us away from being fans to disliking them but not because of their color but because of their actions and remarks.

There are so many great people from all backgrounds and colors and religion but this particular group is not what we like.

Btw I still remember and love going to a concert of Rappers Delight when I was 16 in a local disco and still are a huge fan of them!

Quote:
I used to listen to this kind of music when I was younger. Some beats are nice and the music gives you that "badass" feeling.

But I stopped. I want to have nothing to do with culture that glorifies crime, violence, disregard for society, glorifies "Gentle Giants" but sings "F the police", is only about "me me me and f everyone else", culture thats about glorifying you-lose-i-win instead of win-win.

I stopped after Zimmerman affair. I saw a man who defended himself vilified and persecuted and a thug glorified and that was the last straw for me. I donated to Zimmerman defense fund and decided never to give another dollar to anyone associated with this culture of depravity.

If you have kids who listen to this garbage, have a serious talk with them and explain to them what this music and culture really stand for and glorify.

P.S. Knock out game this.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Yeah, I don't care for THAT music at all......do my best to avoid it entering my ears.

Unfortunately here in spoKOMPTON....every Wi66@h in the "hood" has a boom-car and cranks that c6@p way up, so it is hard to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies