Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,666,924 times

Advertisements

Oh. Sure. He was holding a knife. Well, that explains it.

Except...

Where's the knife? Did it grow legs and run away because it was afraid of getting shot? I only ask because, well - they don't appear to have recovered one from the scene.

And that would be rather curious, wouldn't it? A man is shot dead because he's holding a knife, and as soon as he's dead the knife just magically disappears?

Anyone else find that curious?

Old 09-02-2015, 09:53 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,359,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Then many of the ideas you present and the commentary you offer seems to originate in disgruntlement. Its pretty obvious.
Well I would hope the hell so! Damn right I'm "disgruntled" in fact I'm mad as hell.

Quote:
Maybe step away from the bash all police and take a fresh look at what you're saying.
Since I've made it perfectly clear on numerous occasions that I do not believe or ascribe to the idea that even a majority of police much less all are deserving of bashing, so no fresh eyes are completely unnecessary.

Quote:
Maybe focus on the root of the problem instead of ignoring it.
I'm not the one avoiding the problem. There will always be individuals who will pursue criminal activities. There will always be people who do not act rationally when confronted by the police, that is why we have police. But the police have to operate at a higher and more professional standard than the mentally ill, irrational, and drug addled masses whose job it is for the police to deal with.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:04 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,607,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

Except...

Where's the knife? Did it grow legs and run away because it was afraid of getting shot? I only ask because, well - they don't appear to have recovered one from the scene.

And that would be rather curious, wouldn't it? A man is shot dead because he's holding a knife, and as soon as he's dead the knife just magically disappears?

As I understand it, there is now a second citizen-made video in evidence which does show the guy holding a knife, as the officers said in their report …

Of course, I wasn't there, and neither were you …

The case will be investigated as the case that it is … From what I have heard and read thus far, it seems to me likely that the officers will be exonerated, as was that cop in Ferguson, MO (although of course, he is still being punished simply for doing his job, and in fact defending himself, as is every citizen's right to do …)

But in today's media hype frenzy of anti-police bias, it will possibly be … dicey … going forward ...

Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,531,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well I would hope the hell so! Damn right I'm "disgruntled" in fact I'm mad as hell.

Since I've made it perfectly clear on numerous occasions that I do not believe or ascribe to the idea that even a majority of police much less all are deserving of bashing, so no fresh eyes are completely unnecessary.

I'm not the one avoiding the problem. There will always be individuals who will pursue criminal activities. There will always be people who do not act rationally when confronted by the police, that is why we have police. But the police have to operate at a higher and more professional standard than the mentally ill, irrational, and drug addled masses whose job it is for the police to deal with.
The police. Don't you have to hire better qualified people, support them with superior training, good policies and well written procedures or does all this fall onto only the police? Your singular focus seems strange considering the end results you want.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM

8,972 posts, read 11,854,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

Except...

Cops control the crime scene and who can access the crime scene. It's pretty easy for them to plant a weapon there if they wanted. Man, that uniform gives them some serious power trip. Who knows why they killed the victim. Maybe they were just target shooting. Maybe they were pissed off because they had to walk faster than they normally do.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 PM

51,231 posts, read 24,704,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
That was your response to a post that said: "It should not matter if the guy has something (a knife even) in his hand)."

As a school principal I had to confront middle school aged children with knives a couple of times, and once even a student who had a loaded gun. Funny, I retrieved the knives and the guns with no real problem. Or maybe I should have just shot those 12 year olds to death?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capntrips View Post
i cannot understand why people who may be otherwise rational during the rest of their day-to-day lives fail to see why one does not jump to conclusions in matters of life and death until all the facts are in.

A proper investigation could well end up in charges against the officers. It is not being a police apologist to search for the truth.

People who rant and prejudge based on a incomplete view of the incident are just working out their own issues in a safe place. I suggest a tennis racquet and a pillow, its more socially constructive.
because we don't believe that in the internal world of police departments that there are "proper investigations". We believe that more often than not, there are white washes.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I don't think people's reactions are to just this one incident. The proliferation of citizen videos capturing the conduct of officers, which started with Rodney King video but has really taken off more recently, has people re-thinking how they view police. I'd always thought police were overall good, with a "few bad eggs". With one video after another coming out, it's been an eye-opener to see how many bad eggs are out there.

What gets even more disturbing is thinking about how, without this video going public, this shooting would likely have been swept under the rug. it makes one wonder how many "good shootings" from the past were anything but.

In my opinion, people are rightly outraged because so many cops are abusing the trust that we as a society have put in them.
Well stated, and parallel to my own evolving sense of what is happening between the police and the public.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Do some municipalities and local PDs cover up in these cases? Really? What a surprise!
Do you think there is a difference between police brutality cases and cases involving other forms of local government corruption, like bribery, drug dealing, etc? Local governments never cover those up.

The point is that we cannot prejudge whether there is going to be a coverup any more than we can prejudge whether there was a crime committed by either cops or suspect. The local police agency is entitled, and obligated, to conduct the primary investigation because it is primarily their employees and their problem. If there is a question about a coverup, there are other layers of review, at the state level, and then at the federal level. Plus, there is no shortage of private attorneys who will take on an excessive force case for the publicity alone.

Sorry folks, there is no better answer than to take these cases one at a time, investigate them thoroughly and impartially, according to established procedures, and if there's any doubt about the outcome, investigate the investigators. As I said in a previous post, tho, sooner or later you have to trust someone. The alternative is to brand everybody a thug or a Nazi from the word go and hit the streets to loot and burn. As tough as the first option is, the other is much worse.
You offer no solution; just keep doing what we've always done. A waste of a post.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Police are now saying the guy had a knife in his hand.

I watched the video again; the guy can be seen walking down the sidewalk with his hands by his sides, fingers loose, not clutching anything. All he was wearing was a pair of shorts. He could have had a knife in his pocket, but it would have been an awfully small knife.

Did the police yell at him to put the weapon down before shooting him? Did they tell him to get on the ground? Who knows? In any case, whether he had a knife or not, he was just standing there with at least one arm raised. Hardly any time went by between the time the guy raised his arm and he was killed.

In other words, he was not 'lunging' at the cops as so many pets are prone to do these days.

Now the police are also speculating that this guy may have wanted to commit suicide by cop.

Stupid way to do that, I think, just standing there with at least one arm raised. I mean, c'mon! Shouldn't he have tried to rush the cops or something?

I guess in this day and age people who want to commit suicide by cop have it easy...no running or lunging necessary...just stand there.
Suicide by cop is getting to be another popular reason to excuse police shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies