Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Putting a question on an application to an institution of higher learning that has NO basis in scientific fact is part and parcel of the political correct movement and furthermore it is ridiculous. As an educational consultant I would hope you could understand the logic in my argument. We are not supposed to substitute facts for feelings when we educate.
Read the LA Times article - which talks about the self-identification matter.

Applying to a UC campus? Now you can choose among six gender identities -- if you want to - LA Times

Actually, you're the one who is substituting facts for feelings here because you clearly don't understand why there is a reason, and it is about collecting data for statistical purposes to better serve students who self-identify with these categories. It seems that you neither acknowledge nor accept the presence of LGBT people - which is a reality - so you are the person who doesn't accept a societal reality but prefer to bury your head in the sand.

You've made my point about folks who can't articulate an argument out of intellectual laziness other than to cry about political correctness.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:35 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I was mocking the poster that Goinback2011 was responding to.

The poster (who shall not be named) said political correctness is good because it eliminates bad words and phrases and will eventually get rid of unacceptable thoughts. Yes, really.

Goinback2011 pointed out just how creepy and Orwellian that was. The I made that comment.

I have to wonder if a person can really post such drivel in earnest.

"political correctness is good because it eliminates bad words and phrases and will eventually get rid of unacceptable thoughts"

How can anyone with a brain actually believe such nonsense? Nevermind the fact that in this country it's the polar opposite of political correctness.

The act of being politically correct would be to defend the constitution. The ability to think and speak freely, freedom of the press, freedom of expression is the FIRST amendment. IT WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT PROTECTION in THE FIRST PLACE!

The beauty is that it also protects an idiots right to be an idiot, even when the idiot wishes to give that right up.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

"political correctness is good because it eliminates bad words and phrases and will eventually get rid of unacceptable thoughts"

How can anyone with a brain actually believe such nonsense? Nevermind the fact that in this country it's the polar opposite of political correctness.

The act of being politically correct would be to defend the constitution. The ability to think and speak freely, freedom of the press, freedom of expression is the FIRST amendment. IT WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT PROTECTION in THE FIRST PLACE!

The beauty is that it also protects an idiots right to be an idiot, even when the idiot wishes to give that right up.
Reps.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Political correctness is just a cover to make people feel good about themselves, personally I would rather call ot as I see it. Most people I know who are PC are just hiding their true feelings.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Read the LA Times article - which talks about the self-identification matter.

Applying to a UC campus? Now you can choose among six gender identities -- if you want to - LA Times

Actually, you're the one who is substituting facts for feelings here because you clearly don't understand why there is a reason, and it is about collecting data for statistical purposes to better serve students who self-identify with these categories. It seems that you neither acknowledge nor accept the presence of LGBT people - which is a reality - so you are the person who doesn't accept a societal reality but prefer to bury your head in the sand.

You've made my point about folks who can't articulate an argument out of intellectual laziness other than to cry about political correctness.
Denying scientific fact is the pinnacle of intellectual laziness. There are, in fact not six genders and there never will be no matter what the politically correct shout from the rooftops. Try going back for a course in biology, it might be helpful.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It seems like they bring the "political correctness" argument into everything. If they're not whining that something somebody else said or did is "politically correct" then they're defending something offensive or stupid that they said or did with "I wasn't being politically correct". I have felt for a while now that to the right political correctness has become a go to argument that they trot out when they can't come up with a real one. Two from the Trump candidacy really stand out to me. The first being Trump's excuse that he insults women because he "doesn't have time to be politically correct" How the hell do you "not have time" to not insult people? The other was when his Iowa Co Chair, Tana Goertz, was on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell and she said of John McCain took "the politically correct" route when he said that Obama isn't an Arab. So now it's "politically correct" to say that a person who isn't an Arab isn't an Arab??????????????????????????????????
I kind of prefer being open and direct, and that's how I prefer politicians to be, too. Don't you? That's why I like Fiorina, Cruz, Trump and Carson.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I kind of prefer being open and direct, and that's how I prefer politicians to be, too. Don't you? That's why I like Fiorina, Cruz, Trump and Carson.

How about when the politician is open and direct in ways you don't like? You still prefer them?

Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
How about when the politician is open and direct in ways you don't like? You still prefer them?
Give me an example.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:51 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I absolutely agree with you.

But I will add to it, that when certain words are no longer part of the common parlance, the ideas that prop them up begin to fade away as well, because the ideas are not being spoken as commonly and those ideas become foreign and disgraceful.
Once again the reading comprehension level of the PoC forum is so low, that I will have to quote and explain myself since people are attributing words, that I have never written, to me.

I will explain the above with an example from my own life. My kids grew up never hearing the N-word in their lives, so eventually I had to explain to them what it was and what it meant, the mentality behind people still using that word. You should have seen the looks of incredulity on their faces - people actually talk that way about other people? Out loud?

My kids were not raised in a bigoted environment, they never used words that were bigoted against other people and rarely heard them. Consequently, they are not bigots and are shocked and disappointed that people are still so ignorant as to have prejudice against a person because of their skin, their gender, the way they look or dress, the people they love. And it's actually quite sad that so many adults cannot see how completely imbecilic it is to feel that way.

People can think whatever they want, but believe it or not when you live in an environment where people don't go around calling each other vile names based on nothing but ignorant pre-conceived notions with no factual basis, they actually start thinking that all people are equal and should be treated as such.

Shocking.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Actually he is misattributing, and mocking, me, but I never actually said that. I quoted and explained my own post if you care to read what I actually wrote.

Ol' Frankie seems to have a problem with me because I call him out on his BS and he responds by calling me names and putting words in my mouth, which is always the mature thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies