Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of this?

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/mai...atabase/?fb=dd

Quote:
A mayor in Maine has a unique idea for how to treat citizens on welfare: put their names, home addresses, and details of their assistance all online, where anyone can easily find them.

In an op-ed published Thursday in the Twin City Times, Robert Macdonald, mayor of Lewiston—population around 36,000—declared that “enough is enough,” and that Mainers deserved such a database...
Read the rest from the link.

I'm not sure what I think about this. On the one hand, it holds people accountable, and I remember a time when it was not something to be proud of to receive a hand out; people may have needed help, but they worked hard to get off of welfare because it was not something to brag about.

On the other hand, their addresses? I do have an issue with that. I don't think it's right to post their address. As far as the names...I'm really torn here because I know some people ARE embarrassed to need welfare - not everyone uses it as a lifestyle choice.

I'm curious what your opinion is, and if you think other towns/cities should follow suit, or if you think this mayor is way out of line.

To add, this is a good point:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-publish-name/

Quote:
“In Maine there is a website that lists the pension amounts received by everyone who is issued a monthly check by the State of Maine. No privacy here because this is being paid out by the State; accordingly, taxpayers have a right to know,” he continued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:13 PM

260 posts, read 428,293 times
That just sounds horrible. It's exploiting the poor, it really doesn't matter if they "deserve" it or not.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
That just sounds horrible. It's exploiting the poor, it really doesn't matter if they "deserve" it or not.
What do you say about the fact that pensioners have their names posted for receiving a government check? Is that exploiting pensioners? What if it was just the names, and not addresses of those on welfare?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Yes, let's shame people for being poor. What a great idea.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Information should be available as a foia request. This is just like how anti gunners have posted lists of ccw permit holders.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:34 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
No way should they publish anyone's names.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
You can find my opinion of welfare in many of my posts. I don't think I like this but I also don't like it when people who have not paid their taxes are printed in the newspaper.

The only reason I see this as a good thing is if it cuts down on fraud. I don't think that everybody who receives these checks really need them.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
You mean...like some places do the names and addresses of gun owners?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You can find my opinion of welfare in many of my posts. I don't think I like this but I also don't like it when people who have not paid their taxes are printed in the newspaper.

The only reason I see this as a good thing is if it cuts down on fraud. I don't think that everybody who receives these checks really need them.
You bring up another good point. Pensioners have their names posted, people who don't pay taxes have their names posted...is there a reason not to post welfare recipients names?

But again, to all of you:

I do not agree with posting their addresses, as I think that opens them up to things...let's not be naive about what could happen.

But just names...if it's okay for pensioners, those who don't pay taxes, gun owners, why not for them?

And I'm asking seriously. I'm still a bit torn on this, I actually want to know what people think about this.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You bring up another good point. Pensioners have their names posted, people who don't pay taxes have their names posted...is there a reason not to post welfare recipients names?
So you are equating poor people with criminals?

(There is no shame attached with receiving a pension, so that, IMO, is not a valid comparison.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies