Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:07 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I didn't say the welfare recipients were stealing, but rather on the receiving end of stolen goods ( money forcibly taken from the paychecks of American workers).
well, I know a person who is a single father of two. He is a struggling artist and his wife passed away. He is a great person with a lot of pride, he works two jobs but still cannot be able to make ends meet.

He has two small children, what else can he do when he lost his job? Being on welfare is temporary. Not everybody is "stealing" your money.

I have never been poor, and I am a trust fund baby, but I am not arrogant enough to claim that others are using MY money to survive.

sheesh. come on now, people.

If you believe the system is flawed or tax is unjustified, fight the system, shaming others solves nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I get to know the names if I feel like making the foia request as anyone can.

This isn't even a debate, it is settled law.
As with most FOIA requests, names are redacted unless it is a position of a manager, political appointee, etc.

Also, FOIA only applies to the federal government.

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Almost all that information can be obtained via foia requests and is already available.

You want to read up on court cases, head down to your local courthouse, they have hundreds of thousands of files you can take a look at. Some people make a full time job of reading new court filings so they can sell the story of interesting cases to media outlets. Tax liens are public record, traffic tickets are public record, deadbeat dads are public record, all public employees pay and address are pic record.

Why should we carve out special rights and privlage a to the poor that are not afforded to rest of Americans?

Because they didn't break the law!

Add to my previous post about also publishing:

1. The names of "corporate welfare" handouts in the area and the taxes they pay.

2. The names of businesses with employees on public benefits:

If anyone is going to "criminalize poverty" in this way, i also want to see:

3. A list of all family and corporate "Trusts" in the area. Because believe it or not, *some* younger people on benefits have "Family Trusts" set up for them to receive both benefits AND nontaxable "gifts" of under 14k per year. THIS would be more helpful to see who is actually SCAMMING the system in this way.

4. A list of elderly who are on public benefits who put all assets in a "Family Trust" so they could receive food stamps and Medicaid and not have to touch "their money" because they put it in a trust (i.e., hid it from the government.)

These elderly people also did not technically "break the law" but it is basically SANCTIONED SCAMMING and it happens way more than people think! And it costs WAY MORE than run of the mill poverty. It can be up to 100K for nursing homes. Multiply this x2 if both parents are still alive. Multiply it x5 years and you have 1 MILLION DOLLARS of tax payers money. To put it in perspective, the taxpayers are LITERALLY FUNDING "Trust Fund Kids."

Most lower, working and middle class don't even realize that this is happening!!!

THESE are the people who need to be exposed!

Old 09-26-2015, 11:10 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
You must of shook your head to the point where your brain no longer functions properly.
I didn't say the welfare recipients were stealing, but rather on the receiving end of stolen goods ( money forcibly taken from the paychecks of American workers).
So how much money is taken from your paycheck for welfare. You have no idea right

Old 09-26-2015, 11:15 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So how much money is taken from your paycheck for welfare. You have no idea right
if I steal a hundred dollars from you it's okay, but if I take a thousand you'll call the cops?
What is an acceptable amount of money to be taken from you and given to someone else without your permission?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Because they didn't break the law!

Add to my previous post about also publishing:

1. The names of "corporate welfare" handouts in the area and the taxes they pay.

2. The names of businesses with employees on public benefits:

If anyone is going to "criminalize poverty" in this way, i also want to see:

3. A list of all family and corporate "Trusts" in the area. Because believe it or not, *some* younger people on benefits have "Family Trusts" set up for them to receive both benefits AND nontaxable "gifts" of under 14k per year. THIS would be more helpful to see who is actually SCAMMING the system in this way.

4. A list of elderly who are on public benefits who put all assets in a "Family Trust" so they could receive food stamps and Medicaid and not have to touch "their money" because they put it in a trust (i.e., hid it from the government.)

These elderly people also did not technically "break the law" but it is basically SANCTIONED SCAMMING and it happens way more than people think! And it costs WAY MORE than run of the mill poverty. It can be up to 100K for nursing homes. Multiply this x2 if both parents are still alive. Multiply it x5 years and you have 1 MILLION DOLLARS of tax payers money. To put it in perspective, the taxpayers are LITERALLY FUNDING "Trust Fund Kids."

Most lower, working and middle class don't even realize that this is happening!!!

THESE are the people who need to be exposed!
All businesses who have a contract with the federal government have their names and contract amount published. All businesses who receives grants, subsidies, etc have their names published and the amount awarded.

Federal workers have their names published, the salary they received, job title, and agency they work for are published. Arrest records despite having no conviction are available for the public; yet you do not think those who receive public funds (welfare) should not have their names published or at a minimum, available publicly?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:18 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
if I steal a hundred dollars from you it's okay, but if I take a thousand you'll call the cops?
What is an acceptable amount of money to be taken from you and given to someone else without your permission?
and publishing welfare recipients names and addresses can solve this problem?

It perhaps will fix the anger problems of some posters in this thread. LOL But it is also TEMPORARY.

Those who committed fraud perhaps don't even mind to be "shamed", the only people this is going to hurt are those who really need some help.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:20 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. How much money is taken from your paycheck. And btw, did you know that you also pay for those that are uninsured.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:38 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I didn't say it was my job to "police" the poor, but you don't think it's anyone's job to find out who is on welfare, and how long they've been on it? REALLY? It's not "anyone's" job?
Obviously when i said it's not "anyone's job" i meant that it certainly was not the ANYONE IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

And, yes, what you said was essentially saying it WAS YOUR job to "police the poor." (i.e., What if you see them still on it after 5 years.) So what if you do? You don't know their circumstance and it's none of your business.

It's disgusting that people who are always crying wolf about "invasion of privacy" would think that for some reason, this essential human right only applies to those rich enough to qualify for it.

I get it. You are paying for subsidies that you don't wanna pay for. I pay for A LOT of government subsidies that i don't want to pay for (e.g, the military, corporate welfare, the salaries for those in congress which i think should be either volunteer or a small stipend position since they do so little, those who put money into "Family Trusts" to save their 100k+ in savings to get free medical care, etc.) But it is not MY JOB (or your job, or "any member of the general public") to police this spending unless that is- wait for it...- their actual job!!

Anyone who wants to spend their time "policing people" should realize that this is a gross invasion of privacy. If you really wanna HELP END POVERTY, you should volunteer your time to- brace yourself for this earth shattering idea- HELP END POVERTY! I know it's not as much fun as sitting back and reading about poverty in the paper and then biitching at it in a self-righteous non-compassionate way, but one way will help stop poverty, and the other will merely make it more difficult for the poor to "recover" and contribute to the never ending class warfare.

If i was in that town and the mayor did this, frankly, i would just move beforehand. If all of them moved, this would mean:

1. Reduced consumption for business owners, possibly to the point of people losing jobs. (? more corporate welfare) Those without cars tend to shop in their own neighborhoods.

2. Reduced rental rates- bad for landlords.

3. Reduced school enrollments- probably decreases in education funding and need for as many teachers.

4. A possible increase in drug use and homeless as they come into the neighborhood and squat in the empty apartments.

PS- THIS is why "trickle down economics" is BS. It is more like "TRICKLE UP." Business owners in the USA should thank their lucky stars for "handouts" on so many levels....

Old 09-26-2015, 11:42 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
You must of shook your head to the point where your brain no longer functions properly.
Again, its nonsense. Every time I hear the cry "OMG they are stealing my money!" I reflect on how much that person has also stolen. You know...by being protected by our military, and support structures as a child, public school, etc etc etc. you are part of a society. Act like a responsible adult involved in such a society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies