Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:15 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times

Advertisements

Here's another example of really stupid poor shaming, that's come out once again here in Wisconsin:

Chris Rickert: Photo ID no-brainer would bring a little sense to two brainless GOP initiatives | Recent columns by Chris Rickert | host.madison.com

Basically the gist is that the Wisconsin Republicans are going to make people on food stamps (Quest/Foodshare) get a photo ID, which grocery clerks won't even be able to ask to see, and it's going to cost the taxpayers millions of dollars. The Democrats proposed making the photo IDs valid for voting, and of course the Republicans said "no way, not happening." True "fiscal conservatism", indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Haven't you been paying attention? The poor have no right to privacy. At least that seems to be the argument being made by many posters here.

Yes, I have, and it's really sad.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:19 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, its nonsense. Every time I hear the cry "OMG they are stealing my money!" I reflect on how much that person has also stolen. You know...by being protected by our military, and support structures as a child, public school, etc etc etc. you are part of a society. Act like a responsible adult involved in such a society.
You have bought into all the ideology. Your last sentence is correct, but should be directed to people who systematically take advantage of the things they do not deserve. This country has lots of able bodied but unwilling adults who are a drain on those who contribute meaningfully to society. What is truly not responsible is by living on top of others while others work, and then attack in return for undeserving sympathy on perceived victim hood. It is sickening. And it must stop.

Some of these people are also the ones who are screaming how immigrants took their jobs. You know, the jobs they wouldn't even look at, the jobs they see as beneath them. Guess what, they must be made of special materials that they are proud to publicly taunt the privilege they must enjoy out of reasons no one is aware of. The rich took your jobs. The capable and hardworking took your jobs. The ambitious took your money. And now foreigners, immigrants, h1bs took your money. They all owe you, stole the money you thought were yours.

You are part of a society. Act like a responsible adult. Do it now.

With all this time spent on whining, how about go learn something, hone your skills, just something that is more meaningful than the silly stupid criticism over capitalism that offers nothing new than what it was a century ago.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Why do you need to know the names of people. I am honestly asking why. What difference does it make to you knowing their names.
So they can be shamed..haven't you heard, that's becoming the cool thing to do.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
You have bought into all the ideology. Your last sentence is correct, but should be directed to people who systematically take advantage of the things they do not deserve. .
Do you know how hard it is to get welfare? It's not like you just sign up and start rakin in the dough, you basically have to prove you are destitute. In most states you can only receive welfare for 24-48 months, I think the federal limit is 60 months. Oh, and the amount that you get...in Nevada it's a whopping $383 for 3 people. I think I'm gonna go get me some of that money wow!

Just tell me one thing- why would anyone 'systematically' commit a felony to apply for $383 that they don't deserve

Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just like how public access to how much government employees gets paid has lead to the uncovering of abuse and fraud.
Have any examples of that?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
You all have been given plenty of examples of other people who have their names listed, their salary listed, or how much they are getting from the government. The fact that you all choose to ignore those examples, real life examples, tells me that some of you all refuse to live in reality, and would rather hold on to your little pipe dream that everyone is honest.

Guess what? Not everyone is.

So what if someone is ashamed to be on welfare. Do you want them PROUD to be on welfare?

Do you know what shame did before welfare became a lifestyle for too many? They got their help, and then they worked their tails off to get OFF of that help. THAT is what we need.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
NOT having read ALL 11 pages.

Wouldn't this be against Privacy Acts?
I on SSD the Only Welfare I receive is SNAP No I wouldn't care to have that & where I live announced to the world.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What do you say about the fact that pensioners have their names posted for receiving a government check? Is that exploiting pensioners? What if it was just the names, and not addresses of those on welfare?
I say..what's fair is fair..Post each and every elected official their name, address. email address. their paycheque amount and anything else that according to them is PUBLIC INFORMATIONS...Is there no allowance of privacy?? sorry..I'm wondering about Conservatives who shriek when their privacy is exposed..Ohh my..wonder how may of those welfare recipients were Republican voters???

Between Fat Shaming, welfare shaming..unemployed shaming..whatever SHAMING..It's time to stop the BLAME GAME and just maybe do your elected duty and make a difference..But NOPE..too busy licking boots of lobbyists and whomever else pulled the elected purse strings!!

Surely there's some sort of LAW protecting personal information of taxpayers..??

Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You all have been given plenty of examples of other people who have their names listed, their salary listed, or how much they are getting from the government. The fact that you all choose to ignore those examples, real life examples, tells me that some of you all refuse to live in reality, and would rather hold on to your little pipe dream that everyone is honest. Guess what? Not everyone is. So what if someone is ashamed to be on welfare. Do you want them PROUD to be on welfare?
Do you know what shame did before welfare became a lifestyle for too many? They got their help, and then they worked their tails off to get OFF of that help. THAT is what we need.
Guess what..I live in reality every single day, just because I disagree with you does not make my opinion less valuable than yours. I used to work with women on welfare to try to find them housing that they could afford on their big fat $383 welfare check. Most were not poor until they got married and had kids. A good number of them were victims of domestic violence, others were unfortunate enough to have married a guy who disappeared and left them with nothing. They did not want to be on welfare, they hated their existence they were ashamed and afraid that they had no future. How would it have helped them to publish their names? That is supposed to provide an incentive for them to 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps'?

My name is in a public database because I receive a government pension, but that is not a list that people usually cluck at or wag their fingers at. How about if we list all the people who get disability benefits, including disabled children? Or maybe we should list all military personnel who are receiving foodstamps- that'll teach those moochers. Or if you deduct charitable contributions from your income tax, then you are basically getting my money to pay for your charity of choice, so let's make that data public too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies