Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 04:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Then I owe you a sincere apology as I did in fact take it as an insult. I apologize.
Apology accepted.

Question, if you'r a Sanders supporter, why do you have Tory in your CD moniker?

Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm talking about events where there WAS an armed civilian that saved the day.

You in the US have more armed civilians than Canada or France, yet you have more gun deaths. Where are all the hero's in the US ?

I wonder how many people in the US that do carry guns, for the purposes of protection or stopping a crime, believe they do NOT have the ability to assess the situation. Human nature tells me, probably most of them believe they do have that ability. Wrongly of course, but hey, that's people for you.
Could a large part of the gun deaths in the US be attributed to the gangs that roam unchecked in most of our urban centers? Chicago, L.A., New York. Very little is done to combat these thugs and the strangle hold they have on certain parts of these cities.

I have no doubt there are many people who wrongly feel they can handle a gun safely. But there are probably an equal amount or more who can.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
The Internet is full of thousands of examples of armed civilians taking down shooters before, during and after shootings that most likely would have turned into "mass shootings"

Old 10-02-2015, 04:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Even heavily armed troops get ambushed and shot to heck, despite being prepared, armed and LOOKING for the enemy!

Old 10-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Could a large part of the gun deaths in the US be attributed to the gangs that roam unchecked in most of our urban centers? Chicago, L.A., New York. Very little is done to combat these thugs and the strangle hold they have on certain parts of these cities.

I have no doubt there are many people who wrongly feel they can handle a gun safely. But there are probably an equal amount or more who can.
Of course it can be attributed to gangs....however....where did those gangs get guns? The gangs in Canada get guns illegally too...but those guns came across a certain border.

Also mass shooters are usually not gang members.

Then there is the issue of accidental gun deaths. Even if the whole country were law abiding gun owners, you would still have many accidental deaths. Higher than other places.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:34 PM

659 posts, read 312,731 times
"Our thoughts and prayers are not enough."

I am not much a gun enthusiast, so it wouldn't bother me to see a lot fewer on the streets, but I am becoming resigned to the grim reality, like with terrorism too, both are here to stay and be a part of our lives, like it or not.

The NRA has good reason to celebrate, because there really does not seem to be any way to stop gun violence now that so many are available on the streets. Obviously, no matter what you do from a legal standpoint, those who want to perpetrate gun violence will find the gun and do their crazy gun thing.

Same with the terrorist, be they Muslim, Christian or Zoroastrian, someone wants to kill innocent people and maybe themselves too while they're at it, pretty much impossible to stop.

So from a practical standpoint, what to do?

Keep a cool head, trust thy neighbor but be wary as well. This is our new world, the new normal, and no doubt Obama is right to point out this has somehow become routine.

Why? Because terrorism and gun violence is now routine, and there is nothing anyone can think to do that can actually stop this problem from occurring again.

Sleep tight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The Internet is full of thousands of examples of armed civilians taking down shooters before, during and after shootings that most likely would have turned into "mass shootings"
Please share them. You should, especially if it proves your position.

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
This is funny and very American. Your guns agains tanks, jet fighters etc. Ya, that's going to work. At best you will be holed up like in Waco, Texas...eventually....

Also this attack on Liberals, as if they are the only ones for saner gun laws. I'm sure there are many people from all political stripes that favour gun control.
How many years did Russia spend trying to put down an insurgency in Afghanistan? 20+, wasn't it? Afghan rebels weren't armed with tanks and jets, they were armed with rifles and a few RPGs. Yet, they fought one of the largest armies in the world to a standstill.

As for liberals and gun laws, don't forget that liberals supported both the AWB law, which was allowed to sunset because it had zero effect on crime, and the gun free zone law, which has helped to double mass shootings since it was passed by giving psychopaths their own little hunting preserves. Using the terms "liberal" and "sane" in the same sentence is the definition of oxymoron. The vast majority of shooters have been shown to be liberal, come from liberal backgrounds, or support liberal agendas.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Apology accepted.

Question, if you'r a Sanders supporter, why do you have Tory in your CD moniker?
Actually, I am not a Sanders supporter. What did I say that gave you that impression? Tory is actually my first name.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Please share them. You should, especially if it proves your position.
I'm not here for your pleasure. I could give a crap whether you believe what I post. You want the information go dig it up.

The truth is out there your problem is that you would prefer that is wasn't. Doesn't fit into your neat little Hoplophobic box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies