Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,640,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Sorry that the facts intrude on your narrative. In 1991 DC had 482 murders. Last year 103.
You left out this year. Murders are up 42.4%. Whoops.

That means DC is trending to be on par with the murder reduction for the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
You left out this year. Murders are up 42.4%. Whoops.

That means DC is trending to be on par with the murder reduction for the entire country.
Annual murders bounce around. Murders are up, but from a base that is down 80% from the peak. Other crime is also down over that period. Now that the Supreme Court has authorized home ownership of handguns, crime should be down even more, but it's up????

The real world doesn't fit your RW narrative.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,640,883 times
Quote:
Annual murders bounce around. Murders are up, but from a base that is down 80% from the peak. Other crime is also down over that period. Now that the Supreme Court has authorized home ownership of handguns, crime should be down even more, but it's up????

The real world doesn't fit your RW narrative.
It seems you've missed the point again.

DC homicide is down over that period, sure. So is everywhere else. Some places more, some places less. All without handgun bans.

So by all means, pretend the gun ban helped. I wore a blue shirt one day during that time period, so that probably helped too.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 AM

23,270 posts, read 10,561,208 times
Hell, It don't matter, The thieves and criminals are sitting in places of power and nowadays crime is committed legally against people.

At some point in the future, I will have put on my sponge bob t-shirt unaware of a new law banning the offensive said image and they will put me in prison. Somebody will go through my trash and find that I hadn't recycled and they will put the cuffs on me. Somebody will find out that I believe in laws of morality and there I go. God forbid that I should become a business owner and the government finds out my opinions. At least they are going after those dairy farmers on the homeland security watchlist, those terrorists dared to put too much money in the bank at one time and the government wants everything they own. God forbid you own a gun in case you have some crazy idea of protecting yourself, call the police stupid, they will be there in at least 15 min.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-15-2015 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-15-2015, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,907,727 times
HF - I am glad I do not live in your world.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:17 AM

50,533 posts, read 47,317,846 times
Quote:
Sorry that the facts intrude on your narrative. In 1991 DC had 482 murders. Last year 103.
Forbes Welcome

Most urban violence actually involves people who already know each other. A startling amount occurs among members of the same gangs, for example.

“Violence begets violence,” he said. “When those youth get pushed out by gentrification, they take the violence with them.”

Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,702,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Maybe it isn't about the childish notion of "blame".

Maybe it's about solving the problem.
...and that problem would be criminals and the mentally unstable.

Over half of all gun deaths are from suicides, But does anyone think we could end all those suicides if we could somehow gather up and destroy all guns?

Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM

23,270 posts, read 10,561,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
HF - I am glad I do not live in your world.
I don't even live in my world most of the time, Damned spirits falling from heaven and such, they think they own me but I got plans to get rid of them, yeah, thas the ticket, I will show them!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,924,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think you are skirting the issue when you are comparing countries that have banned private citizens from having guns.
What difference does it make what country it is, or that countries population?
Simply put, those countries have proven removing guns from private hands, works.
If it can work in one country, it can work in any country.

The problem with doing any disarming in this country is spelled out in three words, NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION, and that is why it has never been done in this country.
Politicians who are funded by nra, are not going to go up against them, and my guess would be All except Donald Trump are , and always have been funded by nra.

Bob.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/rec...?id=D000000082

I didn't know that $9,900 was considered as funding. I checked on newly elected Rep. Tom Cotton https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...?cid=N00033363 . He raised and spent $14.3M in his campaign. So the NRA funded .069% of his campaign. $9,900 does not buy a radio ad in Little Rock.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,924,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
ANSWER:

These repetitive false equivalencies are hackney.

We only "blame" those who hoard guns and/or use to kill people and pets.

None of us are "anti-gun." When we say "pro-gun," it refers to people who cherish their guns more than *actual lives.* There are way too many of them. (But Ironically, they deeply care about clumps of cells in a uterus and declare it "like.)

We are merely suggesting that some regulations be put in place to at least *cut down* on gun deaths. It is the pro-gun group who are against this and they are nuts for being so.

Let's see if you change your mind about common sense gun laws when someone you love is killed by one. And no, the solution is not just to "have your loved one carry a gun." Gun nuts never seem to understand that there are many possible outcomes in that case and in most of them, your loved ones would still die from a gun.
What is our definition of hoarding? 1, 2, 20, more?

My sister would have died due to the use of crack and other drugs if cancer had not taken her first. I still am in favor of abolishing all of the unconstitutional federal drug laws. Feelings should not be considered when enacting or applying the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies