Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a religion/belief system that is violent and a threat be banned in the USA?
Yes 24 47.06%
No 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The indigenous people treated each other the same way.
No they didn't. There was conflict, sure, but to say it's the same is the same as waving a banner saying the only history courses you took were in high school.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
yea because you know.... I mean....

like... uhm....

what happened in 1503 is exactly the cause/reason why christains do what they do today.

geez.
I can agree with this to a point. That point is that its kind of a double standard to have a holiday named after this guy but were supposed to just forget about the bad stuff.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
A religion and belief system that supports and demand killings of various people like non-believers of that religion and homosexuals, preaches hate, violence, anti-freedom, and permitting rape and justify barbaric acts, as well as women having no freedom and rights; shouldn't that religion and belief system be banned in the United States, a country that is pro-freedom and tolerant? A religion that calls for that is a threat and should be regarded as such and totally against American/Western value.
The first amendment is very clear; "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; "

So you would first have to amend our constitution.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
To whom shall the power to ban certain thoughts (beliefs) be entrusted?
Me, and you and every other citizen. Certainly not the government.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:47 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Only in the Old Law. The New Covenant abrogates the Old Law for most Christians. This fact makes your claim false.
I said there are passages in the Bible that support pretty much all of those things, but Christians choose to ignore the bad parts.

When Christian Bibles stop coming with both the Old and New Testaments packaged together, then maybe you will have a point.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sure!

Start with the U.S. government then go from there.

exactly what i was thinking.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:08 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Quote:
A religion and belief system that supports and demand killings of various people like non-believers of that religion and homosexuals, preaches hate, violence, anti-freedom, and permitting rape and justify barbaric acts, as well as women having no freedom and rights; shouldn't that religion and belief system be banned in the United States, a country that is pro-freedom and tolerant? A religion that calls for that is a threat and should be regarded as such and totally against American/Western value.
That would be fine with me since it would ban virtually every religion except maybe Buddhist.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
there are laws that ban some PRACTICES in religions already-- take Santeria for example -- if you not going to eat the chicken leave it alone! and leave the snakes in the yard!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:16 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,162 times
Quote:

Yes, you can BELIEVE whatever the hell you want in America. How the hell are we going to police thoughts? And no, we can't ban the Bible or Koran and we shouldn't even try to. The last country that made a big show about burning books didn't go to well...

I am half black but I am more offended by attempts to ban and suppress things like "The Birth of a Nation" or "Amos and Andy" or "The Turner Diaries" then I am those works themselves, and I would probably march down the street in protest if any law was passed banning the KKK.

They can run around in their sheets shouting "white power" all day long for all I care, as long as they don't actually kill anyone. Likewise, we should tolerate Marxists and the works of Marx and Lenin and Mao, as long as no one actually tries to put anyone into gulags or goes around killing land owners, it is fine by me.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Old 10-16-2015, 06:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I don't know, try all of them?

The 'cool pope' got a magic pass from a super liberal media despite his views on contraception, which are basically pro AIDs, and the recent revelation that the Vatican was protecting child molesting priests from prosecution. Super conservative religious communities, like Orthodox Jews or the Amish constantly still deal with issues of child sex abuse or spousal rape, which to them isn't a thing because the all loving God vaguely mentioned that men are masters of women. Scientology of course pumps out crazies and cults (which Scientology basically is one) still pop up all the time. Or Mormons, who have all of the above problem. And hell, there are even Buddhist radicals in Tibet who are slaughter religious minorities.

There's a different between only getting your information from the mainstream media and actually knowing that all religions are still a destructive force to the progress of humanity. Sure, the evangelicals aren't going to blow you up, but they'll sure do their best to make sure every gay person you know commits suicide so sky daddy can send them to hell sooner.
Of course the atheist USSR was responsible for a few atrocities themselves. People will always find an excuse to kill other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies