Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 AM

223 posts, read 604,405 times

Advertisements

I always found it funny how defensive conservative or right wingers get over their talk show hosts. Say something bad about one of them and its "you wish, liberal scumbag" or "you flip floppin dern librul"

Its almost like god to them; lets see, A voice in their head that comes from the sky and preaches to them what they should say, do and believe....hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh, kind'a like the conservative talk radio shows are going to be in 2009 eh?

LOL

Ken
Maybe so. We'll just have to wait and see. However, I doubt that many will want the Constitution to be ignored as the Gore supporters did in 2000.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:41 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Maybe so. We'll just have to wait and see. However, I doubt that many will want the Constitution to be ignored as the Gore supporters did in 2000.
We'll have to wait and see about that too.

Ken

Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Do you think that the talk shows are still influencing the establishment of priorities and the framing of issues, or have they had less ability to get traction concerning what issues need to be addressed?

Do you think they have been effective in shaping the perceptions of the war in Iraq?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I realize the liberal talk shows never gained much traction, but does it seem that Rush Limbaugh and company are starting to run out of steam in terms of influence?
I used to only listen to talk radio when I was on my morning and evening commutes but now that I've retired, I listen to it for longer periods of time while I'm doing other things at home. I take great comfort in it and I get to listen to Rush Limbaugh more. I'm listening to him right now as I type this.

What's falling off for me is the TV News Opinion shows. I turn them on but I surf while they're on.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I used to only listen to talk radio when I was on my morning and evening commutes but now that I've retired, I listen to it for longer periods of time while I'm doing other things at home. I take great comfort in it and I get to listen to Rush Limbaugh more. I'm listening to him right now as I type this.

What's falling off for me is the TV News Opinion shows. I turn them on but I surf while they're on.
Do you find that his take on issues appears to be in line with overall sentiments, or are you finding that his opinions are less in the mainstream (as indicated by voting outcomes or proposed legislation)?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
With the gains made by John McCain and the lack of traction by candidates such as Tancredo and Hunter, does it seem that talk radio may have reached the point of lost influence?

Considering the Democrats taking control of the House and Senate in 2006, and the results in the Republican primaries so far, does it seem that the conservative talk show host may have reached their saturation point, and aren't really gaining any additional support for their expressed sentiments?

I realize the liberal talk shows never gained much traction, but does it seem that Rush Limbaugh and company are starting to run out of steam in terms of influence?

Politics | Radio Talkers on the Line Against McCain | Seattle Times Newspaper
When did talk radio ever have any influence? I have never heard anyone say that they will be voting one way or another because of what they heard on talk radio. Therefore, if talk radio never had this influence you assume they had, how could they lose what they never had?

I think you are giving talk radio far too much credit. Radio talk show hosts are "info-tainers", nothing more. They provide listeners with their slant on political information in an entertaining manner, but they have no political influence.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When did talk radio ever have any influence? I have never heard anyone say that they will be voting one way or another because of what they heard on talk radio. Therefore, if talk radio never had this influence you assume they had, how could they lose what they never had?

I think you are giving talk radio far too much credit. Radio talk show hosts are "info-tainers", nothing more. They provide listeners with their slant on political information in an entertaining manner, but they have no political influence.
Yeah RIGHT!

So obviously the MSM that the folks on the right are always complaining about have no influence either.

Ken

Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree with you in general, but I do think that there are people that really identify with some of them and are influenced. I don't think that it really means anything though that Limbaugh's candidate isn't winning though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah RIGHT!

So obviously the MSM that the folks on the right are always complaining about have no influence either.
I think the influence they have is largely by controlling the topic of political conversation in the country. Their reach is far greater than radio. They dictate the topic, and the radio listeners who are interested in politics listen to further discussion and exploration of the issue. The majority of the population accepts the story by MSM as the way it is.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Rggr-

And talk radio hosts don't control the topic and direction of the conversation on their shows - and "dittoheads" don't accept the story the way Rush presents it?

I know several people who were swayed by conservative talk radio back during it's hayday. Plenty of folks are able to be convinced (Hitler is proof of that) over to a particular point of view. True, the core of right-wing talk radio listeners are folks who lean to the right anyway, but folks in the middle who tune in can (and are sometimes) pulled in that direction. After all, if you listen to someone continually harp on a subject (or group of subjects) long enough and it's not unusual to come around to that point of view yourself - either that or be completely turned off.

The other thing that conservative talk radio did very well, was energizing the base, firing them up and getting them to get out and vote. I think in this regards they played a huge part in the Republican victories during the 1990's and 2000.

So yeah, I think that conservative talk radio was very influentual (not nearly so much now though as the mood of the country is changing away from their particular point of view).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies