Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:32 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sanctuaries do serve a purpose although on the surface it appears they do not. Yet another overreaction to one incident same as the planned parenthood videos. I don't believe this will pass reducing law enforcement funding in these areas is a non starter not to mention a lack of community support.

I guess this is what passes as immigration policy.

You must not read the news much. Illegal aliens are responsible for hundreds, if not thousands of deaths in the US each and every year. This isn't about "one incident".

The only purpose sanctuary cities serve is to bolster support for Democrats. That's it. It's entirely and cravenly political.

This decision today by Democrats is straight up anti-American. If that's who you want to throw in with, fine. But, like your post, you'll be forced to lie about almost everything to maintain your party membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
The vote was 54-45. 2 Democrats and 1 Republican broke with their party.

As I understand it there are 300-350 ( sources vary) sanctuary municipalities, some going back decades. And it's certainly not just so called liberal cities.

On the surface there seems no rational reason to continue funding these municipalities.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:10 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Senate Democrats block bill to strip federal funds from 'sanctuary cities'

Senate Democrats block 'sanctuary cities' legislation

Unreal.

But are we really surprised? In my view, the rule of law/constitution is being ignored left and right on so many levels, it's pathetic. Will the voting public ever wake up to what's going on? Honest answer....no.
"The bill offered by Sen. David Vitter, R-La., would have cut off law enforcement grants — including money to hire police officers — to more than 300 cities, counties and states with sanctuary policies. The legislation also would have stripped them of community development block grants, which are used to provide housing to low-income and moderate-income families and to help communities recover from natural disasters."

A bill to have less police officers, make people homeless, and stop federal funding for disasters in American cities (now that's a republican bill.)

And the same destroy America attitude comes out with bills republicans block,

GOP blocks minimum wage, sick leave proposals | TheHill

GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News

GOP Blocks Senate Small-Business Tax Cut Bill : Roll Call News

GOP Blocks Credit Card Bill, Endorses Skyrocketing Interest Rates | ThinkProgress

Senate Blocks Bill to Lower Student-Loan Interest Rates - WSJ

Senate Republicans Vote Against American Jobs By Blocking Bill To End Outsourcing Tax Breaks

Old 10-20-2015, 06:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,492 times
Libs love Sanctuary Cities (more demrat votes) UNTIL one of THEIR loved ones is killed by a third worlder in one of those cities...

Old 10-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,565 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Senate Democrats block 'sanctuary cities' legislation

Unreal.

But are we really surprised? In my view, the rule of law/constitution is being ignored left and right on so many levels, it's pathetic. Will the voting public ever wake up to what's going on? Honest answer....no.
Sanctuary Should not exist, it is one of the few area I would agree with republicans.

That being said, it isnt illegal.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post

A bill to have less police officers, make people homeless, and stop federal funding for disasters in American cities (now that's a republican bill.)
So, harboring known felons and violent criminals, at taxpayer expense, all while in violation of federal law... is OK with you.

Let me ask you a question: What federal laws do YOU get to violate?

Old 10-20-2015, 06:54 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
In the elections section their is an interesting thread staring trump is actually getting more support from unions than Clinton for that exact reason, seems the unions are tired of playing second fiddle in the democrat party.

The democrats are worried that if sanctuary cities go away they would lose some of their voting block.
They will still have the cemeteries.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 PM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
We have two pinheads in Pa for senators. I'm going to vote against both of them, one's a republican and one's a democrat. I call them the Blind Squirrels, they occasionally find an acorn and vote correctly on an issue. But they both clearly serve their own interests and their bosses and neither serves their constituents.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
They will still have the cemeteries.
Bwhaha!!!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
"The bill offered by Sen. David Vitter, R-La., would have cut off law enforcement grants — including money to hire police officers — to more than 300 cities, counties and states with sanctuary policies. The legislation also would have stripped them of community development block grants, which are used to provide housing to low-income and moderate-income families and to help communities recover from natural disasters."

And the same destroy America attitude comes out with bills republicans block,

GOP blocks minimum wage, sick leave proposals | TheHill

GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News

GOP Blocks Senate Small-Business Tax Cut Bill : Roll Call News

GOP Blocks Credit Card Bill, Endorses Skyrocketing Interest Rates | ThinkProgress

Senate Blocks Bill to Lower Student-Loan Interest Rates - WSJ

Senate Republicans Vote Against American Jobs By Blocking Bill To End Outsourcing Tax Breaks
Stop the partisan nonsense. My OP wasn't to play "our team is better" which your post is obviously about. In my view there's much to be sick about from the actions of many politicians no matter if they have an R or D attached to their name.

The point of my OP was this is an issue about enforcing our existing rule of law. As for "less police officers" in the more than "300 cities" who decide to play "let's ignore the rule of law at the fed and state level and local level", those cities wouldn't have to worry about getting such funding cut and this type of legislation wouldn't have to be proposed if cities followed the rule of law in the 1st place.

And given you seem to believe you are a "compassionate" person, may I suggest you state the views you have posted to the parents of Kathryn Steinle and explain your high moral "compassionate" ground of why sanctuary cities are ok and maybe, just maybe, see another side of reality of how their tragedy feels.

Kathryn Steinle's murder and immigration - Business Insider

And then you can come over to the Phoenix area and talk to the mom of this police officer who was killed by a convicted criminal illegal alien driving drunk about your thoughts on the issue.

Mother of Brandon Mendoza killed by illegal immigrant driver pens letter to Barack Obama | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies