Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Thanksgiving Day shopping be banned?
Yes, let employees stay home with their families/friends 51 26.70%
No, let individual store decide 140 73.30%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Lol, yeah.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
even the score? who said life was fair? you want to force business owners to close? that sounds like a policy that would work in America why should a business owner close because you think they should? their business they can open or close when they want. lets force them all to close on sunday eh?

to millions of people, holidays have no real special meaning, so who gets to make the call? people who care? people who don't? or the owner of the business? don't want to support a business that's open on a holiday, easy don't shop there.
I don't know anyone who objects to a paid holiday, other than the guy who has to pay for the worker to be away from work instead of making him more money.

I'd rather not force anyone, but it's obvious you can't expect corporations to do the right thing over the profitable thing. Contrary to the legalese developed and pushed onto the books by corporate headquarters, a corporation is NOT a person and should not have the freedom and rights of a person.

People first, corporations second. Seems like we should be more concerned with the needs of the 99% than the 1%.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't know anyone who objects to a paid holiday, other than the guy who has to pay for the worker to be away from work instead of making him more money.

I'd rather not force anyone, but it's obvious you can't expect corporations to do the right thing over the profitable thing.
I work for a corporation and get paid holidays.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Quote:

I'd rather not force anyone, but it's obvious you can't expect corporations to do the right thing over the profitable thing. Contrary to the legalese developed and pushed onto the books by corporate headquarters, a corporation is NOT a person and should not have the freedom and rights of a person.

People first, corporations second. Seems like we should be more concerned with the needs of the 99% than the 1%.
It either a paid holiday or pay them time and a half to work, so you go with the paid holiday, LOL.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Me too (well, legally anyway as it's also local government)... good for us! My employer is also closed every legal holiday, which is very nice.

I feel bad for the people who are forced to work them even though it is nonessential for their work to be open for business on a holiday. It's just plain greed that keeps them open on holidays in first place.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:32 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:

again who gets to say what the right thing is? has there been a national survey that says 99% of the people think stores should close on Thanksgiving? why should a store owner close if he has business? the best way to express your displeasure with it is to not shop there on the holiday and let everyone else who does want to shop, shop.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:34 PM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Just to throw in here, one of the drivers to these stores opening on holidays is the competition from online retailers who only close if their servers go down.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:35 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Me too (well, legally anyway as it's also local government)... good for us! My employer is also closed every legal holiday, which is very nice.

I feel bad for the people who are forced to work them even though it is nonessential for their work to be open for business on a holiday. It's just plain greed that keeps them open on holidays in first place.
not everyone that work a holiday cares they are working it. many families celebrate holidays on other days because schedules conflict. they get together on the week end and not on Thursday. have xmas before or after the 25th. the point of thanksgiving is to be thankful it shouldn't have to be on Thursday.

greed btw is another man's capitalism.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Okay, consumerism based....didn't realize we were splitting hairs here.

You do realize stores wouldn't open on Thanksgiving if customers didn't show up to shop?
The point is why customers want to show up. Who benefits from the frenzy that we see televised?

Here in the US, stuff is just stuff. We have mass produced stuff coming out of our ears. Why do people trample each other for cheap TVs? Because they've been emotionally manipulated, and are somehow blind to the fact that perfectly good TVs can be had for cheap or free - I've passed up two this week myself. No, the one that they trampled each other for three years ago is no longer worth having, even though it works as well as it ever did.

Nevertheless, no law is needed. Except for groceries, I don't shop for anything between Thanksgiving and December 26. I don't trample anyone for anything either, I fail to see the fun.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The point is why customers want to show up. Who benefits from the frenzy that we see televised?

Here in the US, stuff is just stuff. We have mass produced stuff coming out of our ears. Why do people trample each other for cheap TVs? Because they've been emotionally manipulated, and are somehow blind to the fact that perfectly good TVs can be had for cheap or free - I've passed up two this week myself. No, the one that they trampled each other for three years ago is no longer worth having, even though it works as well as it ever did.

Nevertheless, no law is needed. Except for groceries, I don't shop for anything between Thanksgiving and December 26. I don't trample anyone for anything either, I fail to see the fun.
Personally I prefer shopping online these days over going in store, but I will say marketing is a science and the marketers in the US have Americans figured out to the T.

With that said, my wife and I did hit up Target last year on our way home after Thanksgiving to pick up a few things and it was pretty calm at 10pm that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies