Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Thanksgiving Day shopping be banned?
Yes, let employees stay home with their families/friends 51 26.70%
No, let individual store decide 140 73.30%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:51 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Well, this is something isn't it.

Black Friday is giant add campaign. It's all BS. The best deals are not black Friday; better deals happen in December and right after Christmas. In fact, right after the holidays is when you'll really save money. I know there's a small trend in giving a 'coupon' for a gift, in which a person pledges to buy an item after Christmas. This of course dismantles the novelty of opening a gift, which is why it's not popular. Much of Black Friday shopping is self indulgent. But the people who sell don't benefit from informed buyers. They never do, but especially now. If people knew they could buy things for themselves for less after Christmas instead of before, they would.

Retail is ****. Everyone knows it. There's the arrogance that many have where they think they're better than people in retail. I see it all the time. The guy who has to wait in line at customer service who wants to speak to a manager because he knows he's above waiting. The reality of course is that he's a far worse person than the guy who did show up to work the customer service desk. He has a miserable job and doesn't even get the sweet release of calling that self-entitled prick what he really is.

People who talk down to retail are people who have never worked retail. I work retail part time while I go to college. It sucks. A lot of the people I work with are also on welfare because they don't make enough. The entitlement narrative that the right has for these people is unfair. Yes, there are those who think they deserve free money, but I've never seen a more entitled bunch that the well off people who think it's unreasonable that their coupon has an expiration date.

The crap that retail workers have to put up with is unreasonable. I do think that everyone should be able to take Thanksgiving off, even if that means a group of con-artists can manipulate stupid people into buying **** they don't need.
I'm Conservative, have worked in retail, and have worked on holidays. I do not have an "arrogance" towards those in retail. When someone chooses a job in retail, they have agreed to what the employer asks of them. If at any time they do not agree with those terms, they are free to leave the establishment. No one is forced to work on Thanksgiving, everyone has a choice.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If you are going to ban malls and retail stores, what about utilities? The malls and store need electricity, water, sewage, etc, even on Thanksgiving. I did my thirty years with a electric utility and we always had people on shift 7/24/360.
Do you want to just shut down everything?
Just retail. You can keep your cops,ambulances, and seven elevens up and running.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
i had a Its a wonderful life saved on my DVR from 2010(i believe) all the Black friday ads were in the commercials, and most places opened at 4 AM.

Opening on Thanksgiving day has only been happening for the last 2 years.
most people who work retail, in the service industry or work in hospitals or emergency services have worked xmas, thanksgiving, weekends. it really is not that unusual. the guy at the gas station works on holidays, should we close down all the gas stations? should cops and medical emergency workers not go to work on thanksgiving? there are also thousands if not millions of people who don't care about traditional thanksgiving and enjoy the fact they can still get a grand slam breakfast at 4 in the afternoon on turkey day at the local denny's.

easy choice, don't work in a field that might make you work holidays if having them off is important to you.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:54 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Why do some people always look for more government intrusion? Are you so helpless that you need Big Brother to solve all your problems? More government is virtually never the right answer.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
In recent years', more and more malls and retail stores has started opening on Thanksgiving Day (which is traditionally a big family holiday) due to competition from other malls and stores that has started opening earlier and earlier, but also some now full-day shopping on the entire holiday. However, some stores still value their employees and decides to remain closed. Few New England states ban stores from being open on Thanksgiving as part of "blue laws".

Do you believe malls and retail stores should be mandated to stay closed on Thanksgiving Day?

Yes, all Government employees...
Since government controls them.

Police, Sheriffs, doctors, fire fighters, EMS drivers, snow plow operators..... ect.
Ya, all those employed people need to be off for Thanksgiving and Christmas too.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Well, this is something isn't it.

Black Friday is giant add campaign. It's all BS. The best deals are not black Friday; better deals happen in December and right after Christmas. In fact, right after the holidays is when you'll really save money. I know there's a small trend in giving a 'coupon' for a gift, in which a person pledges to buy an item after Christmas. This of course dismantles the novelty of opening a gift, which is why it's not popular. Much of Black Friday shopping is self indulgent. But the people who sell don't benefit from informed buyers. They never do, but especially now. If people knew they could buy things for themselves for less after Christmas instead of before, they would.
If you are buying holiday decorations, winter coats, or anything "season" oriented, then yes. With other items, i would say no, it is best to get it during Black Friday sales unless you know for a fact that a new model will come out near Christmas.

Further more, there are other things to take into account on Black Friday than simply the price of the item, like the cost of everything that goes with it.

Best Buy has a habit of dropping the prices of all its TV's by 30 to 250 dollars the week of before Christmas, but all the accessories are full price. If you want the full package, you actually pay out more.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why do some people always look for more government intrusion? Are you so helpless that you need Big Brother to solve all your problems? More government is virtually never the right answer.

Mommy always solved their problems for them...... Now out in the real world, they cannot cope, unless it is just like mommy taking care of them, because now, freedom is a very scary thing.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, all Government employees...
Since government controls them.

Police, Sheriffs, doctors, fire fighters, EMS drivers, snow plow operators..... ect.
Ya, all those employed people need to be off for Thanksgiving and Christmas too.
No no no no no no no.

When you signed up for the slushy mart job you knew it was open 24/7 365.

When you signed up for Bloomingdales thanksgiving was a day off ( until recently thus the need for the law to draw the line to what should have been obvious )

Not even comparable

Old 10-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
most people who work retail, in the service industry or work in hospitals or emergency services have worked xmas, thanksgiving, weekends. it really is not that unusual. the guy at the gas station works on holidays, should we close down all the gas stations? should cops and medical emergency workers not go to work on thanksgiving? there are also thousands if not millions of people who don't care about traditional thanksgiving and enjoy the fact they can still get a grand slam breakfast at 4 in the afternoon on turkey day at the local denny's.

easy choice, don't work in a field that might make you work holidays if having them off is important to you.
this is untrue. I have worked in retail going on 6 years now. Never worked on thanksgiving(until 2013) even as i moved up into management.

The freight truck comes in on monday or Tuesday and we stage all day Wednesday even closing early on that day.

It hasnt always been like this.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm Conservative, have worked in retail, and have worked on holidays. I do not have an "arrogance" towards those in retail. When someone chooses a job in retail, they have agreed to what the employer asks of them. If at any time they do not agree with those terms, they are free to leave the establishment. No one is forced to work on Thanksgiving, everyone has a choice.
This is a a fallacy of a choice.

You need a job to provide for your family, you cant just quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies