Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:39 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,631 times

Advertisements

No more spankings in school nor can we physically handle our children, but cops can? This is really becoming a critical legal issue.
WATCH: S. Carolina cop brutally throws high school girl to the ground for ‘not leaving class’

Old 10-26-2015, 05:52 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
I can only tell you that in 33 years of teaching and administering, I never saw such violence in any of my schools.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:08 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
It's harrowing to see the (lack of) reactions from everyone else in the classroom. Basically "this is how things are. Oh okay."

Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 PM

396 posts, read 409,968 times
Disturbing excessive display of force that should not be excused, and whatever she did beforehand doesn't justify him slinging her across the room, but it is amazing how disgraceful students today can be. I have no way of commenting on this specific situation, because we don't know all of the facts; however, as I teacher I have seen some surprising displays of force by administrators and SROs (sometimes justified sometimes not.)

Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Here's a novel concept: How about parents start teaching their children RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY?

If the student had done as she was told, the officer wouldn't have had to manhandle her.

I have no pity for her. What should they have done? Dismissed class for the day and hope her highness would behave better tomorrow? FAT CHANCE of that once she knew SHE was in control.

Should we allow disruptive, disrespectful children to hold education hostage to their whims? To hell with the students who are there to learn?

The same goes for police.

If you do not want to be manhandled, tazered or shot, respect their authority and do as you are told.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:19 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can only tell you that in 33 years of teaching and administering, I never saw such violence in any of my schools.
I have to ask the question as to why the cop has to deal with this at all? Shouldn't a student that refuses to leave class been removed by someone from the school administration? Yes I see that the students don't even flinch. Almost like this happens all the time or this student pushed everyone so far that no one gives a crap. No doubt this cops actions look terrible. Get him away from the schools and put him somewhere the hell away from kids. Lastly the author of this story is the notorious BLM activist Shaun King who is white but passed himself off as black. Now he is working at the Daily News pushing his anti cop agenda. Family Member Confirms to CNN That Shaun King is White | Mediaite

Last edited by retiredcop111; 10-26-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 PM

396 posts, read 409,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here's a novel concept: How about parents start teaching their children RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY?

If the student had done as she was told, the officer wouldn't have had to manhandle her.

I have no pity for her. What should they have done? Dismissed class for the day and hope her highness would behave better tomorrow? FAT CHANCE of that once she knew SHE was in control.

Should we allow disruptive, disrespectful children to hold education hostage to their whims? To hell with the students who are there to learn?

The same goes for police.

If you do not want to be manhandled, tazered or shot, respect their authority and do as you are told.
Having had to live through situations like that before (though admittedly not nearly as bad), I want to agree with you. The problem is the old adage: two wrongs don't make a right. If anyone deserves to be slung around a room it is bad parents, not idiotic kids who half the time genuinely don't think they are doing anything wrong.

Disrespectful asinine kids? The world will break them. We don't need cops throwing them around like rag dolls.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:29 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Having had to live through situations like that before (though admittedly not nearly as bad), I want to agree with you. The problem is the old adage: two wrongs don't make a right. If anyone deserves to be slung around a room it is bad parents, not idiotic kids who half the time genuinely don't think they are doing anything wrong.

Disrespectful asinine kids? The world will break them. We don't need cops throwing them around like rag dolls.
You are right. It is bull crap that a cop is there even addressing that garbage. Leave it to the schools!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Completely uncalled for, she wasn't being combative or posing any threat.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Our school system would have never tolerated that behavior by the cop. In fact, that's why our school system was one of the earlier (though certainly not a trail blazer) school systems to develop the school resource officer relationship with the police department. First in all the high schools, and eventually in the middle schools, too. The idea was that police officers would receive training in how to successfully work with kids, as opposed to a police officer with no skills in working with kids being pushed into a situation in a school where he doesn't know the building, or the personnel, the kids, or the general environment. It worked quite well, and it benefited the police because they would develop positive role models with kids in the broader community. Our first SRO was hated by the kids and dislike by the staff. The second was highly respected by the faculty and practically hero-worshiped by the students.

Of course we don't know the situation, but the first line of discipline should be the teacher; if the teacher can't control a classroom, they will never be respected by the students. Should a situation be so bad that a teacher cannot control the situation, then an administrator should be there to attempt to resolve the issue. Again, if an administrator can't resolve the vast majority of situations, they will not be respected by the students. Having a police become physically involved in a situation is the absolute last resort. And, to answer an earlier poster, yes, the classroom should have been evacuated before that kind of situation ensured...for the safety of everyone; take the other students to an empty classroom or the cafeteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies