Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 02:57 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times

Advertisements

We have seen a lot about the Confederate Battle flag of late. The Nazi banners were never in dispute as "offensive". Why, then, is the Japanese Rising Sun, banned following WW2, being displayed so proudly? The JDF still uses it, and I see it flown on all manner of import hot rod, bike and car. What makes Japanese facisim different from German? Was the genocide in Asia so different from the one in Europe? Why , then , is the Rising Sun,(an attractive banner...I do admit, though no less"offensive than a swastka) tolerated? We lost many lives taking that banner down, in the Pacific.

Does the Pacific matter less than the Atlantic? Please respond....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 03:03 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,772 times
What does it matter why the Japanese choose to display it? It is their own country and their own flag, they can do whatever they want with it.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
I'm not offended by any flags. But if you are listing flags that have flown over tyrannical governments or governments that have killed millions of people you would have a long list. Probably the Chinese flag would be at the top of the list.

Flags that might be offensive;
Chinese flag: Mao killed 50 - 80 million civilians
Soviet Union flag: Stalin killed 23 million civilians
Nazi flag: Hitler killed 17 million civilians
Belgium flag: Leopold II killed 2 - 15 million civilians
British flag: Invaded 90% of the countries in the world
US flag: lots of invasions

Etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:09 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,592 times
Edit>Advanced>Congtoversial-Controversial.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
What does it matter why the Japanese choose to display it? It is their own country and their own flag, they can do whatever they want with it.
Why? Because their cause (fascism) and their banner were defeated. You didn't answer the question, WHY is this symbol acceptable, when Germany can't fly the Nazi Swastika? What's the difference? We lost 10s of thousands of men taking the Rising Sun down. Why....WHY! is it so different from the Nazi banners?

So....the Confederate battle flag shouldn't be controversial , at all
Nor Bonny Blue, or the first second and third National flags of the Confederacy. Getting the point?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:24 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We have seen a lot about the Confederate Battle flag of late. The Nazi banners were never in dispute as "offensive". Why, then, is the Japanese Rising Sun, banned following WW2, being displayed so proudly? The JDF still uses it, and I see it flown on all manner of import hot rod, bike and car. What makes Japanese facisim different from German? Was the genocide in Asia so different from the one in Europe? Why , then , is the Rising Sun,(an attractive banner...I do admit, though no less"offensive than a swastka) tolerated? We lost many lives taking that banner down, in the Pacific.

Does the Pacific matter less than the Atlantic? Please respond....
Flag sensitivity is a learned behavior and can be sucessfully taught to villianize any inatimate object or word to gain power for perceived victims by activists who make a living training people to fear symbols.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Flag sensitivity is a learned behavior and can be sucessfully taught to villianize any inatimate object or word to gain power for perceived victims by activists who make a living training people to fear symbols.
Indeed? So...it seems k have opened up a new aspect to the flag debate. I want to know WHY a symbol of fascism is glorified on o e front , and villkfied on another. The Confederacy is to be , eternally damned, while the Japanese Empire is glorified? Nazi Germany is villified, why is Japan set aside? allowed their symbols, even glorification of those symbols, by we, the Allied powers?

I don't get it. I really don't....

Old 11-07-2015, 03:55 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Why? Because their cause (fascism) and their banner were defeated. You didn't answer the question, WHY is this symbol acceptable, when Germany can't fly the Nazi Swastika? What's the difference? We lost 10s of thousands of men taking the Rising Sun down. Why....WHY! is it so different from the Nazi banners?

So....the Confederate battle flag shouldn't be controversial , at all
Nor Bonny Blue, or the first second and third National flags of the Confederacy. Getting the point?
Because Germany has a better way dealing with the past, Japan does not. Plain and simple. However, there are no differences between German nationalists and Japanese nationalists. I have met both, both are scary.

Plus, I have no ideas why Americans want to display rising sun flag, that is an ugly flag for one. I've seen Japanese proudly displaying Nazi flags in Japan, I also have seen Koreans and Chinese flying that Nazi flags, surprise surprise. Don't ask me why, I don't know why.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:32 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Because Germany has a better way dealing with the past, Japan does not. Plain and simple.
Bears repeating.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:49 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Symbols have power. We seem to be wired that way.

Strolling in Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th wearing a Rising Flag t-shirt will probably get you thrown inverted into the harbor. And I for one can't really find fault with that on an emotional level, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies