Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 05:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We have seen a lot about the Confederate Battle flag of late. The Nazi banners were never in dispute as "offensive". Why, then, is the Japanese Rising Sun, banned following WW2, being displayed so proudly? The JDF still uses it, and I see it flown on all manner of import hot rod, bike and car. What makes Japanese facisim different from German? Was the genocide in Asia so different from the one in Europe? Why , then , is the Rising Sun,(an attractive banner...I do admit, though no less"offensive than a swastka) tolerated? We lost many lives taking that banner down, in the Pacific.

Does the Pacific matter less than the Atlantic? Please respond....
Initially the rising sun flag was banned by the JMSDF. However, the flag has more cultural meaning to Japan than just it's use during WW2.

I was in the US Navy and I visited Japan many times and saw the flag on their naval vessels and after a double take didn't think much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 05:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Symbols have power. We seem to be wired that way.

Strolling in Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th wearing a Rising Flag t-shirt will probably get you thrown inverted into the harbor. And I for one can't really find fault with that on an emotional level, at least.
It is very offensive, I agree.

But I think most Asians really don't know what the Nazi symbol really means. In Asian culture (this is what I have been told by my Asian friends) the Nazi symbol means luck (If I remember this right) And many Asians in Asian countries found Nazi uniform very appealing for some reasons. (like fashionable)

Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Because Germany has a better way dealing with the past, Japan does not. Plain and simple. However, there are no differences between German nationalists and Japanese nationalists. I have met both, both are scary.

Plus, I have no ideas why Americans want to display rising sun flag, that is an ugly flag for one. I've seen Japanese proudly displaying Nazi flags in Japan, I also have seen Koreans and Chinese flying that Nazi flags, surprise surprise. Don't ask me why, I don't know why.
Have you? Indeed, I have never seen the Nazi banner flown by an Asian. Yet the Rising Sun flys proud above (mostly) Japanese fronts. Mc Caughther. Tore down that flag. Same as the Swastikas was tore down in Germany. It is a symbol of Fascist oppression. Yet, we see it flown, proudly, without protest, when other banners are villified. I don't get it. That flag belongs on the cockpit of a Hellcat F6F. Nowhere else. A symbol of victory. A kill. Yet, here it is.

I don't vet the difference between that flag and any other Axis banned.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:05 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Have you? Indeed, I have never seen the Nazi banner flown by an Asian. Yet the Rising Sun flys proud above (mostly) Japanese fronts. Mc Caughther. Tore down that flag. Same as the Swastikas was tore down in Germany. It is a symbol of Fascist oppression. Yet, we see it flown, proudly, without protest, when other banners are villified. I don't get it. That flag belongs on the cockpit of a Hellcat F6F. Nowhere else. A symbol of victory. A kill. Yet, here it is.

I don't vet the difference between that flag and any other Axis banned.
Oh yeah I have. But these Asians think that the Nazi symbol is somewhat sexy and fashionable perhaps.

like this one was during ww2

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ugend_1938.jpg

This one is during modern days

http://i2.wp.com/www.chinasmack.com/...cosplay-09.jpg

I think this poster is right about the rising sun. Most Japanese don't associate it with ww2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Initially the rising sun flag was banned by the JMSDF. However, the flag has more cultural meaning to Japan than just it's use during WW2.

I was in the US Navy and I visited Japan many times and saw the flag on their naval vessels and after a double take didn't think much about it.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
We have seen a lot about the Confederate Battle flag of late. The Nazi banners were never in dispute as "offensive". Why, then, is the Japanese Rising Sun, banned following WW2, being displayed so proudly? The JDF still uses it, and I see it flown on all manner of import hot rod, bike and car. What makes Japanese facisim different from German? Was the genocide in Asia so different from the one in Europe? Why , then , is the Rising Sun,(an attractive banner...I do admit, though no less"offensive than a swastka) tolerated? We lost many lives taking that banner down, in the Pacific.

The Rising Sun flag (with the red rays) is the Naval standard for Japanese ships , it served that purpose for the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) and now serves that purpose for The Japanese Naval Self Defense Force. The Japanese Imperial Household still uses the Chrysamthmum flag as it did for a thousand years. The white flag with the red meatball was the flag of Imperial Japan and is the still the flag of Japan. The Japanese Head of State is Emperor Akihito of the same Royal line that has existed in Japan for over a thousand years. You can't beat Japan for keeping with tradition.

Now you can understand why Japan, Korea and China don't get alone all that well.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Symbols have power. We seem to be wired that way.

Strolling in Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th wearing a Rising Flag t-shirt will probably get you thrown inverted into the harbor. And I for one can't really find fault with that on an emotional level, at least.
Thank yon! In spades! As I said , that flag has its place in history on the co kpit of an F6F, or F4U. Kill. 5 gets Ace.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:38 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is very offensive, I agree.

But I think most Asians really don't know what the Nazi symbol really means. In Asian culture (this is what I have been told by my Asian friends) the Nazi symbol means luck (If I remember this right) And many Asians in Asian countries found Nazi uniform very appealing for some reasons. (like fashionable)
I have a Chinese style rug with little Asian swastikas all around the edge. You have to stare at it for it is an optical illusion There is a difference between the Asian swastika and the Nazi banner. One is clockwise (Asian) the other counter clockwise (Nazi) . They both mean good fortune or luck. It is used in India and has an origin with the Indo-European people who brought Sanskrit to the subcontinent.

One of the reasons the SS had such stylish uniforms was a Nazi supporter named Hugo Boss designed them and Hitler and Himmler liked the design. Check out the Esquire magazine, you can still buy stylish and expensive German made suits and other articles of clothing and accessories from the House of Hugo Boss! He survived the war and prospered in post war Germany.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The Rising Sun flag (with the red rays) is the Naval standard for Japanese ships , it served that purpose for the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) and now serves that purpose for The Japanese Naval Self Defense Force. The Japanese Imperial Household still uses the Chrysamthmum flag as it did for a thousand years. The white flag with the red meatball was the flag of Imperial Japan and is the still the flag of Japan. The Japanese Head of State is Emperor Akihito of the same Royal line that has existed in Japan for over a thousand years. You can't beat Japan for keeping with tradition.

Now you can understand why Japan, Korea and China don't get alone all that well.
Indeed! Thus Nanking. And other massacres. I just don't understand the level of animosity toward Amerfrican banners , from history, and ignorance of others. Under whjcch far worse atrocities took place. My h more combat , to tear it down. Yet, its tolerated, even venerated, today.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
IIRC the Rising Sun flag is only used by the JMSDF. The JMSDF seems to retain much more of the IJN traditions than the JGSDF and JASDF do IJA traditions. JMSDF vessels also have the Chrysanthemum emblem on the bow just like the old IJN, they also use the same ship names. They also still use "Army style ranks" for officers, ie: what we call a Captain they call a 'Naval Colonel', etc.

Modern Japan has come a long way since 1945. They are a valued friend and ally, they deserve to have their traditions. I also think that Japan should be allowed to have a traditional military and formally declare the Emperor as the head of state.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:44 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

I don't give a crap about whatever flag someone wants to fly.

I tend to not take offense at whatever other people are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies