Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Right now the feds are paying 100% of expanded medicaid, that will reduce slightly each year and in 2020 and all years after the most they will have to pay is 10%. I don't buy the story about how it will hurt their budget, I think it's purely a political pander to get themselves re-elected by constituents who hate welfare or any social service programs unless they are the ones receiving it.
100 percent funding of expanded Medicaid ends in 2016.

States would spend $38 billion more on Medicaid from 2015 to 2024.

Savings on reduced uncompensated care would offset between 13 and 25 percent of that additional state spending.

After the Affordable Care Act passed, the amount of money the federal government provides to hospitals for uncompensated care was significantly reduced.

Wow - that's strong-arming. "We won't give you money for uncompensated care - but we'll give you Medicaid. Our way or the highway."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
That sucks, so sorry to hear it. From what I hear Texas refuses to review plan rates and leaves it up the HHS to do it. In California the State reviews the rates and is pretty good at making sure rates are competitive and that companies serve most of the states population.
The Texas Department of Insurance reviews rates:

Quote:
TDI reviews proposed rate increases and determines whether each is actuarially justified. Actuarial justification means that an insurance company or HMO must demonstrate that claims experience supports the increase and the premiums collected are reasonable compared to the benefits provided by the plan.
https://wwwapps.tdi.state.tx.us/inte.../aca/index.asp

Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So they just do like lots of poor people do, and have always done, and go to the ER when they're sick and then they just don't pay the bill. So the hospitals get stuck, like they always have by some people.
I think it's more complex than just hospital costs. Certainly hospital costs for uninsured people are still increasing the rates hospitals charge, but probably not as much as before, but one thing that I found interesting is that the rate of increase in health insurance rates seems to have a whole lot to do with what state you are in and how aggressively the state deals with insurers who want to raise rates, here's an example:

The Iowa insurance commissioner, Nick Gerhart, approved rate increases averaging 29 percent for Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, the state’s dominant health insurer, and 20 percent for Coventry Health Care. The higher rates, he said, were justified based on the plans’ experience.

Rates will rise next year by an average of 4 percent in California, one of the few states that actively negotiate prices, state officials said. In New York, state officials said rates would rise by an average of 7 percent. In Florida, consumers will see increases averaging 9.5 percent, the state said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us...ases.html?_r=0

Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
The Texas Department of Insurance reviews rates:
https://wwwapps.tdi.state.tx.us/inte.../aca/index.asp
Ok, my information must have been old, I did find an article that said that Texas was one of 5 states that refused to review rates. But I just posted a link to an article that shows that California kept rate increases to 4% by negotiating with insurance companies, so maybe some states just don't play hardball like California does

Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, my information must have been old, I did find an article that said that Texas was one of 5 states that refused to review rates. But I just posted a link to an article that shows that California kept rate increases to 4% by negotiating with insurance companies, so maybe some states just don't play hardball like California does
Who knows? Our medical system is a ridiculous mess.

And they're going to get you some kind of way when it comes to taxes, insurance, etc. Here in Texas, we pay high insurance premiums, but we have no state income tax. We pay high property tax rates, but most of our homes are very inexpensive for the size, quality, etc. so even though the rate may be high, the tax dollars are often less than in other states.

Overall, it's a balancing act.

Or a shell game.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:16 AM

89,322 posts, read 45,051,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The only freeloaders in this country are Wall Street CEOs, and they overwhelmingly vote R.
Guess what happens without those CEOs...

American workers and retirees can kiss the $24.7 trillion they have invested in their pension plans and retirement accounts goodbye. You're good with that, right? American workers and retirees don't need their retirement investments, do they?

ICI Measures Retirement Assets at $24.7 Trillion

Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 AM

89,322 posts, read 45,051,012 times
Quote:
Right -and the people he is assuming are stupid or confused are actually SUCCESSFUL people, people who own and operate their own businesses, people who know what it takes to make a good living for themselves and their families. I find that very ironic.
That's typical liberal logic. You see exactly the same in many of their posts. Makes no sense, but they run with it.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,419,399 times
53 pages of statists arguing over which theft scheme (usually falling in the D v. R paradigm) is better.

This forum at its finest...

Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,297,811 times
Quote:
I think it's more complex than just hospital costs. Certainly hospital costs for uninsured people are still increasing the rates hospitals charge, but probably not as much as before, but one thing that I found interesting is that the rate of increase in health insurance rates seems to have a whole lot to do with what state you are in and how aggressively the state deals with insurers who want to raise rates, here's an example:

The Iowa insurance commissioner, Nick Gerhart, approved rate increases averaging 29 percent for Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, the state’s dominant health insurer, and 20 percent for Coventry Health Care. The higher rates, he said, were justified based on the plans’ experience.

Rates will rise next year by an average of 4 percent in California, one of the few states that actively negotiate prices, state officials said. In New York, state officials said rates would rise by an average of 7 percent. In Florida, consumers will see increases averaging 9.5 percent, the state said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us...ases.html?_r=0

Rising 10%, not 4%.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:35 AM

54 posts, read 51,392 times
I went to a urgent care center and only paid $75 for my services. The bill said that if I did not have insurance the cost would have been over $800. I paid the insurance approved reasonable and customary negotiated rate. The health insurance company did not pay a dime but the fact that I had insurance and got the negotiated rate saved me over $700.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies