Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 AM

314 posts, read 400,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
It is actually in the best interest of conservatives to simply let these killers in and blame Obama for it.
You might be right. It's not best interest of all conservatives. It's in the best interest of XENOPHOBIC conservatives as real christian conservatives support Syrian refugees.

Unless you think those christian groups hates America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:32 AM

13,691 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I am starting to change my mind about USA involvement in defeating ISIS.

Previously, I was all for those countries adjacent to Iraq and Syria sending in ground troops to fight ISIS, while we (USA, Russia, France, etc.) safely bomb them from above.

However, a slight problem has arisen. Said adjacent countries seem to be unwilling to send in ground troops. I was listening to some general (I forget who) talk the other day about how a war was never won by airstrikes (citing, for instance, Vietnam), but that you must have 'boots on the ground' to kill the enemy that survive such bombings.

Save for the Kurds and some scattered militias, there is little other prospect of fighting ISIS on the ground. A few weeks ago I had high hopes that Turkey would take up the fight, but my hope has faded. It seems that if Turkey did send in significant ground troops, it would be for the main purpose of defeating the Kurds, so they do not form an independent nation. I have long given up on the Saudi's doing anything.

Of course, sending our own troops in is distasteful to me. More lives lost, more wounded vets, more heartbreak. Yet, it perhaps must be done. Other risks include even more nutters joining ISIS if the West truly invades the ISIS-held territory. On the other hand, maybe those nutters willing to travel to Syria and Iraq to fight the West will all be killed: one can only hope. This is not a situation where taking prisoners would be encouraged.

If we do send in troops, it must be total commitment, not just a few thousand. Hopefully, we can forge an alliance with other countries (western) and send in several hundred of thousands to root out ISIS once and for all. What will befall Iraq and Syria after ISIS falls is unknown. Based on history, I imagine it will be bordering on the disastrous. I can easily imagine a full-blown war erupting throughout the Middle East.

Such is life.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most of the Paris attackers were EU nationals with French or Belgium passports. Most of them could have easily hopped a flight to JFK with intentions of executing a similar plan in the US. They would require US based assistance. There is no shortage of whack jobs in the US living in their mamas' basements with easy access to weapons , who might be open to the idea. Hmmm shoot up a school or a stadium of people.

70 million unvetted foreigners from all over the world enter the US legally each year. Once admitted, all are free to travel. We are living in a " fool's paradise" to think that 10,000 vetted Syrian refugees pose a greater risk than occurs every day. No doubt some here might prefer a N Korean approach of no one gets in or out of the US.

Right now, I am opposed to accepting any/ all refugees from anywhere until such time that the US resolves the 30 year challenge of illegal immigration.

Repped! You're using logic in your last statement, and I totally agree! We have to get a lid on our current issues with illegal immigration, and be a little more careful right now on just who we let in this country. Not to mention as you've alluded to that we have our fair share of our own nutjobs in this country that we have to deal with.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Repped! You're using logic in your last statement, and I totally agree! We have to get a lid on our current issues with illegal immigration, and be a little more careful right now on just who we let in this country. Not to mention as you've alluded to that we have our fair share of our own nutjobs in this country that we have to deal with.
Not really. How could somebody using logic when they use ILLEGAL immigration to justify LEGAL immigration?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Not really. How could somebody using logic when they use ILLEGAL immigration to justify LEGAL immigration?

How could someone be using logic by supporting letting these "refugees" in, none of which we know nothing about, and it has already been proven that the vetting process isn't 100%? BTW, since you do support it, how many are you personally putting up and feeding? If one of them commits a terrorist act under your watch, are you willing to hold yourself accountable for their actions?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
How could someone be using logic by supporting letting these "refugees" in, none of which we know nothing about, and it has already been proven that the vetting process isn't 100%? BTW, since you do support it, how many are you personally putting up and feeding? If one of them commits a terrorist act under your watch, are you willing to hold yourself accountable for their actions?
Any other fallacies you want to invoke?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Any other fallacies you want to invoke?

In other words you have your head in the sand, and are willing to put American lives at risk and think that it couldn't happen here? All under the guise of "diversity and tolerance?" Got it!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
In other words you have your head in the sand, and are willing to put American lives at risk and think that it couldn't happen here? All under the guise of "diversity and tolerance?" Got it!
Well, either my head is in the sand or you are locked up in your panic room.

Let's just say there's no absolute 100% risk free i anything in life. That doesn't stop me from getting out of the house and enjoy life. What about you? Enjoy your panic room view?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Quote:
What many dont know is many countries worldwide dont allow foreigners to buy or own property. Here we not only allow outsiders in indiscriminatly but have allowed them to own many businesses and live anywhere and remain unaccounted for. The blame for this is our leaders in the white house,congress,senate,house whether reps. dems. They lost control of the country in trying to garner votes for their parties, and now its too late to pull on the reins and we are feeling the negatives of their decisions. Its cost us money, lives and our safety and we have become a country where our govt has given financially to those in foreign aid to buy favor from them. Just curious if someone might know, does any other nation pay foreign aid to other nations or do we receive aid from other nations?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Well, either my head is in the sand or you are locked up in your panic room.

Let's just say there's no absolute 100% risk free i anything in life. That doesn't stop me from getting out of the house and enjoy life. What about you?

Wow, such regard for your fellow Americans that you're willing to buy into the guilt trip PC nonsense just to prove a point! Oh looky "see how tolerant we are?" Yeah, tell that to France. Tell that to other European countries where these so-called refugees are causing problems, and raping their women! Yeah that "tolerance" thing is working out great, ain't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies