Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

I see no reason that a privately owned market based health insurance system is needed. A system supported by a progressive income tax and administered by the government would provide greater care with less cost, as the private system’s executive costs and profit would be eliminated.

I would not loose any sleep if private insurance companies went out of business. Teh stock markets would find another way to raise capital.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Why do you want to pay the insurance companies anything they want when you can regain your bargaining power and stop them ripping you off. Do you earn sooo much that you love throwing money away. Your total spend with UHC and stil using your Private "insurance" will be much much lower than what you pay now, and you know that if for any reason you fall on hard times you and your loved ones will still get great healthcare.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post
I see no reason that a privately owned market based health insurance system is needed. A system supported by a progressive income tax and administered by the government would provide greater care with less cost as the private system’s executive costs and profit would be eliminated.
Not true in Canada - it is a major financial drain with waiting lines.

Not true in England

Not true in France (in fact, many French are shunning the national system )

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 AM

We have a UHC system and we have private health care too. The private insurance companies are doing very well here but they do not make the huge profits that your health insurance companies make. No one here would stand for it. The private health care companies cannot dictate to people here because they would go out of business. They have to charge a reasonable amount for health care and not the extremely high premiums that are in the USA. SEE..Even the SNOBS here can get private health and not pay a fortune (LOL)

Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
We have a UHC system and we have private health care too. The private insurance companies are doing very well here but they do not make the huge profits that your health insurance companies make. No one here would stand for it. The private health care companies cannot dictate to people here because they would go out of business. They have to charge a reasonable amount for health care and not the extremely high premiums that are in the USA. SEE..Even the SNOBS here can get private health and not pay a fortune (LOL)
I'm sorry but, trying to compare the UK business models to the United States is ridiculous.

And again, the sheer difference in size of the two countries - population and geographics - makes such comparisions impossible

Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 AM

You quote Canada, France, UK . Yet in these countries there may be queues but no one is dying or watching their children extremely sick with no hope. But you can quote the USA on that one. Our health service is NOT a drain on the country. The assylum seekers and the illegals are. They cost us billions.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 AM

Again - no one is answering questions I posed:

What if someone does not sign on to the UHC? What do you do with them? Hilary says she will garnish their bank accounts?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 AM

I was in France last year and the health service is very good there. I had to go to a hospital for a allergic reaction. I was seen in 20 minutes. Is that Long? DON'T THINK SO

Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
You quote Canada, France, UK . Yet in these countries there may be queues but no one is dying or watching their children extremely sick with no hope.
Not true in Canada - A friend of mine is leaving this morning to travel to Toronto. She will be bringing a cousin back to the United States for cancer treatment. Seems the Canadian system will not provide this person "extraordinary" treatment - a fancy way of saying, they have written them off.

The Canadian system will provide drugs to "keep them comfortable" - but no further treatment or surgery.

Yet, there is treatment for this persons cancer - potentially life saving treatment it seems.

This Canadian is coming to the United States in hope of staying alive.

Great system in Canada 'eh??

Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 AM

YES all the cheap B*****s get to pay just like everyone else. It is a UNIVERSAL healthcare system. Paid like any other tax. Hey maybe people with smaller cars should pay less for petrol ? OR People should refuse to pay Home Association fees because they only have a two bed without a pool and everyone else has more. You still pay the same fees. Maybe the people with bigger houses should pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies