Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
YES all the cheap B*****s get to pay just like everyone else. It is a UNIVERSAL healthcare system. Paid like any other tax. Hey maybe people with smaller cars should pay less for petrol ? OR People should refuse to pay Home Association fees because they only have a two bed without a pool and everyone else has more. You still pay the same fees. Maybe the people with bigger houses should pay more.
What would you do with those who do not want to "buy into" UHI?

Would you incarcerate them?

Seize their property?

What?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
My mother had cancer here in the UK. We wnt to our NHS hospital and they told her that they could do nothing but give her pastoral care. We took her to the top Cancer hospital in the UK which is in London. My frriend is a top doctor there. He looked at my mom and told us the same prognosis. They did try treatment on her but all that did was prolong her agony. Don't blame the health srvice for not being able to do anything. I hope your friends cousin can get the treatment she wants and it helps her. Don't blame the system for doing what they believe to be the best. They see these cases everyday and they normally only stop or do not give treatment if they see it is not going to help. Obviously there may be new groundbreaking drugs that might help your friends cousin and i truly truly do hope she recovers. I watched my mom die of cancer and it is heartbreaking.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
My mother had cancer here in the UK. We wnt to our NHS hospital and they told her that they could do nothing but give her pastoral care. We took her to the top Cancer hospital in the UK which is in London. My frriend is a top doctor there. He looked at my mom and told us the same prognosis. They did try treatment on her but all that did was prolong her agony. Don't blame the health srvice for not being able to do anything. I hope your friends cousin can get the treatment she wants and it helps her. Don't blame the system for doing what they believe to be the best. They see these cases everyday and they normally only stop or do not give treatment if they see it is not going to help. Obviously there may be new groundbreaking drugs that might help your friends cousin and i truly truly do hope she recovers. I watched my mom die of cancer and it is heartbreaking.

No - the prognosis here is positive - not negative. And, it is not drugs - it is surgery that can save her. Canada thinks, that because of her age - she is not "worth it" -

Canada has "written her off" - pure and simple

Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM

That is a call made by the doctors NOT because its a UHC system. ALL healthcare has its bad decissions. I was a medic in a hospital in London. It was a NHS hospital. We had a young french girl come ionto our hospital with severe brain damage. She had gone to a private clinic for surgery on her nose. They messed up her drug dosage and she came into us virtually a cabbage. She recieved months of great care and a great medical tem. She walked out of the Hospital. Does that mean that NHS is better than private? NO it means that the only difference is one costs much more than the other.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,014,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Those that have insurance keep their current insurance - the plans they choose - the one that works best for them

Those who lack the financial resources to purchase insurance can get a grant, from the government - on a sliding scale. This grant would then be used to purchase insurance, from a carrier of the persons choosing.

The only government "involvement" would be the application and funding of the grant - no new government agency needed - the process (would need some tweaking) is alreading in place.
And exactly WHERE do you think that "grand money" will magically appear from?
It would be underfunded and still funded by taxpayers.

That, and the middle class would also again slip through the cracks.. because only the "poor" recieve ANY help from the government. Middle Class, may, on paper appear to afford it, but they really can't... then you'll still have people who will have to chose to give up one neccesity or sacrafice saving for retirement to fund their health insurance...
it also wouldn't cover everyone and you'll have people falling through the cracks taht will continue to put a strain on hospitals that end up passing the cost of those that can't pay their bills to the rest of us..

No. EVERYONE puts in EVERYONE is covered.. yes there will be some illegals that will not put into the system *(which we need to fix that problem ) and those that are inbetween work , etc.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
That is a call made by the doctors NOT because its a UHC system. ALL healthcare has its bad decissions. .
No - it was because it was what the NHC protocol called for. And the doctors have to follow the protocol.

The protocol says, make her comfortable - but, let her die

Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
What would you do with those who do not want to "buy into" UHI?

Would you incarcerate them?

Seize their property?

What?

What's the penalty for not pyaing your income taxes? This is simply going to be a tax automatically removed from you paycheck..

What happens if you don't pay taxes.. property is levy and siezed.

What happens if you don't pay property taxes? Your property is siezed!

This would be NO DIFFERENT!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Not true.

We even have areas where property owners are exempt from paying school taxes as part of their real property taxes
There may be areas that are like that, but I'd wonder how that public school system is fairing..

Here on LI.. you pay not matter if you have kids, don't have kids or choose private school. As it should be (and i don't have a school age kid either.. )

Education is considered somethign that should be available to all regardless of economic status.. the same should be available to all on a health insurance level and it currently IS NOT!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
And exactly WHERE do you think that "grand money" will magically appear from?
It would be underfunded and still funded by taxpayers.
Yes - the taxpayers will have to fund it. No question. BUT, the cost to the taxpayers would be far, far, far, far less than your scheme.

PLUS, there would be no need for a whole new government bureaucracy - people would get health insurance - of their choosing - the very care you want would be given -

And remember - this would be coupled with a provision that all pre existing conditions would be covered - exactly what your entire argument is built around.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 AM

The protocol can be harsh. But sometimes the Private sector will give treatments that they say are hopeful but you are paying for it so they don't have ANY protocols to protect patients from unnecessary and sometimes pauinful treatments. Surgery can sometimes do the trick and normally after surgery a course of chemo. This age thing today is so annoying. So if America starts a UHC then the protocols should be looked at closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies