Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Federal government ban offensive speech against minorities?
Yes 4 10.26%
No 35 89.74%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
"Trigger words", "micro-aggression" and anything at all that "hurts my feelings" ..... are now deemed by these whiny kids as "hate speech". THEY want to be able to decided what is "hate speech" and make it "illegal".

Scary bunch of whiners and their Enablers - The colleges and universities of the USA.
Private colleges and universities can make whatever rules against speech that they want, as long as it is applied equally. If you don't like the rules, you can go to a different college.

That said, the scary part is that limiting speech goes directly against the core values upon which higher education was founded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:09 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
No, I am an immigrant to the US and wouldn't want to live in tyranny again where speech gets you prison.

The Left and Islam have so much in common.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Private colleges and universities can make whatever rules against speech that they want, as long as it is applied equally. If you don't like the rules, you can go to a different college.

That said, the scary part is that limiting speech goes directly against the core values upon which higher education was founded.
At the U of M in Minneapolis, they do not allow speakers on subjects some committee of ultra liberal students have formed if they don't approve of the message. So if someone wants to discuss gun ownership rights and the history of gun ownership in America in a respectful manner...they would not be allowed.

This is the danger. And it is happening now. Is a State University private? I didn't think it was.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
I can only see a convincing case for this if "offensive speech" ONLY refers to the degrading of minorities with ethnic slurs or phrases in public like "death to all Group X". I don't know why any moral person would want to do those things anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem if you're a sane person.
Well, there are already laws against incitement to riot, or any speech that leads to imminent danger, like yelling "fire" in a movie theater. But, at least until this point in time, the court has been very strict on their interpretation. Both liberal and conservative judges have something to lose if we go down this slippery slope, so hopefully they continue to strictly interpret imminent danger in the future.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 11-22-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I saw this in the news and believe it to some extent but want to take a poll of the millennials
on this board.

Should offensive speech against any minority be banned by the federal government and why?
and how?
Hey... why not... we don't need a 1st amendment right?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
John Milton, the author of Areopagitica said in his book "Complete freedom of speech is unattainable unless all men in their degree are capable of reason and moral responsibility."

This said, he did not believe in government censorship of a "word" "speech" or "expression." There are fundamental differences between hate speech and offensive speech.

Example, I learned in college that there are certain things others can say, a mixed Japanese/German just cannot say. Let's not pretend freedom of speech is equal for everybody else. If others say certain things, they were just talking about "history." If I said the same thing, people might have to look at me differently.

On the other hand, telling me German or Japanese culture is ugly culture is way more offensive than telling me "Kill the japs". In hawaii, we still have "kill a ***" day. Many people don't take it in an offensive way. It is kind of funny because the words have really lost its true meaning.

I don't mind offensive speech as long as they are not personal. Offensive speech against minorities should not be banned because different people have different definition of "offensive" really means.

I think the relevant question–which is invariably overlooked–isn’t whether or not you are “for” or “against” censorship. The relevant question is, What do you want to censor? Or, how much censorship do you want?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
At the U of M in Minneapolis, they do not allow speakers on subjects some committee of ultra liberal students have formed if they don't approve of the message. So if someone wants to discuss gun ownership rights and the history of gun ownership in America in a respectful manner...they would not be allowed.

This is the danger. And it is happening now. Is a State University private? I didn't think it was.
First, I want to say that I'm not a lawyer. I come from a family of lawyers going back 3 generations, so I have listened to these arguments at the dinner table and at family holidays my entire life, so it is a subject that interests me.

I think it would depend on whether or not this "committee" has a direct affiliation with the school. Also, is this a guest speaker, or is it someone being denied access to join the committee based on their political beliefs? If an official committee at a state school were to deny a person access based on political beliefs, I think the person would have a case. If you are talking about guest speakers, the committee can vote to allow whoever the like to speak or not speak. Also, is the subject matter relevant to what the committee was designed to accomplish? If not, nothing else really matters.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
The problem, as usual is the question of who gets to decide what's offensive and what's not? And how to keep the people making those decisions from doing so based on their own personal bias and agendas.

I've asked the same question of the Left for decades now.....

Please point out to me the exact part of the Constitution or Bill of Rights that says that you have a right to never be exposed to anything that you find offensive.

Still waiting for one to answer me.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
It's part of being an American, learning how to handle listening to opinions different than your own. It's says something about YOU how you handle it. Apparently, they cannot handle it at all.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:37 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Absolutely not. People need to have complete and unabashed freedom to express themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies