Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Federal government ban offensive speech against minorities?
Yes 4 10.26%
No 35 89.74%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:35 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times

Advertisements

I saw this in the news and believe it to some extent but want to take a poll of the millennials
on this board.

Should offensive speech against any minority be banned by the federal government and why?
and how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 07:39 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
I'm not a Millennial so I didn't vote but isn't offensive speech already categorized as "hate speech"?

Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm not a Millennial so I didn't vote but isn't offensive speech already categorized as "hate speech"?
yes depending on who you are aiming it at.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Describe offensive. Sometimes the truth is offensive. Should we stifle the truth?

Old 11-22-2015, 07:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Perhaps you are confusing hate speech with hate crimes?

Hate speech is legal in the United States, and the first amendment has held up against challenge several times in the Supreme Court.

In the US, hate speech only has meaning when applied to the internal rules of private institutions.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Describe offensive. Sometimes the truth is offensive. Should we stifle the truth?
Good point!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So if I said that most crime in a certain city is committed by African Americans that would be the truth, but to Millennials that would be offensive so therefore would be against the law.

I'm afraid that is what this means. They are already practicing this in Minneapolis in the major newspaper. For years they refuse to print the Washington "Redskins" team name. When the Vikings play the Redskins they call it "Washington's NFL team"

When a minority follows a student into a secured building on the U of M campus and rapes an 18 year old woman they refuse to give a description of the assailant unless they are white. If they are a minority they just don't give a description.

So in their world, it's more important to be progressive than to ask the public for help finding a dangerous criminal who could rape again. They don't care about our children and their safety. Probably because most of them are too selfish to actually have children of their own or they like the same flavor they were made of.

This is why we need morality laws to keep nuts like this from getting into positions of authority over normal people...or they have to sign an agreement to at least make their decisions in the interest of people with FAMILIES and people who care about right and wrong.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:56 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
"Trigger words", "micro-aggression" and anything at all that "hurts my feelings" ..... are now deemed by these whiny kids as "hate speech". THEY want to be able to decided what is "hate speech" and make it "illegal".

Scary bunch of whiners and their Enablers - The colleges and universities of the USA.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
"Trigger words", "micro-aggression" and anything at all that "hurts my feelings" ..... are now deemed by these whiny kids as "hate speech". THEY want to be able to decided what is "hate speech" and make it "illegal".

Scary bunch of whiners and their Enablers - The colleges and universities of the USA.
Agreed. They need to grow up. Universities need to stop putting up with that nonsense. Parents need to stop raising little monsters who get offended about everything.

How are these people supposed to function in the real world where you don't get a trophy just for showing up?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 AM

My first hint of this was when my oldest child, my daughter was in elementary school. It was a typical Catholic school, just like the one I went to. We were walking through the playground (I was volunteering for something that day in her class) and these boys were working out their problems in the way boys do...wrestling and other boys were watching. No big deal. My daughter says "those two need a peer mediator" to me. I busted out laughing and asked her what the h*ll that is? They've been taught from very young age to think differently than us. I thought at the time it was good. Who doesn't want their kids to be smarter and kinder than they are? I know how these fights went when I was a kid, after you got your butt kicked on the playground the nun would give you another after. Now it's peer mediators.

But this is the generation. I think in many ways it may be better...but our enemies didn't teach their children this way. They taught them to kill first and ask questions later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies