Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh I am sure you think millions of people who never owned guns are running out buying up guns. That isn't the case, but I know that isn't something you will ever accept.
At my local gunshop, every time I'm in there, there are at least 2 people shopping for their first firearm. One of my best friends teaches CCW classes, and 70% of his students (he keeps track) are new gun owners. Your narrative is dead in the water. The problem with relying on surveys is that you don't know if people are telling the truth. If someone calls the average gun owner on the phone and asks if they own a firearm, most will say no.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
At my local gunshop, every time I'm in there, there are at least 2 people shopping for their first firearm. One of my best friends teaches CCW classes, and 70% of his students (he keeps track) are new gun owners. Your narrative is dead in the water. The problem with relying on surveys is that you don't know if people are telling the truth. If someone calls the average gun owner on the phone and asks if they own a firearm, most will say no.
And when you are in your local gun shop, how many people are there that are not buying their first firearm? The problem with relying on hearsay and antidotes is you can't tell if the person telling them is telling the truth.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
And when you are in your local gun shop, how many people are there that are not buying their first firearm? The problem with relying on hearsay and antidotes is you can't tell if the person telling them is telling the truth.
Anecdotes....

That aside, it's about even as far as new owners vs. those who are buying another firearm. However, that doesn't change the fact that your narrative is dead. You are pushing the idea that new guns are only being purchased by those who already own firearms. That is, quite simply, a lie.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:26 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
Quote:
Sorry for the typo, I don't usually make that mistake.

Oh I don't know, why wouldn't you want to scare people? You seem to believe there is a reason for them to be scared to begin with, plus it is good for business, so why not make some money in the process.

Oh good, what can go wrong with elderly people with guns....

Sure you aren't the one scaring people, but I doubt you bother to correct them about no one is coming for their guns. Oh, and I love the no gun zone excuse, which has nothing to do with shootings.

And I am not blaming you, I support you making more money at the expense of idiots.

Sorry I forgot my new years resolution not to engage anti gun folks or argue in PC anymore, because my comments won't change anyone's mind, so I'll just correct your misnomers and accuzations and say g'night.

Yes, I believe there is reason to take reasonable precautions against crime, there have been numerous mostly drug related shootings within a mile of my home this summer, and I'm in rural america. Chicago has had thousands of gang attacks, as do most cities. People ARE afraid. I don't promote fear, I teach the people competance and confidence to NOT be victims.

What can go wrong with elderly people with guns? Well since old people are primary victims of thugs, and there are many accounts of granny with a gun shooting scumbags in the face after they were attacked in their own homes, I'd say old people with guns are pretty good shots!

Sorry I do believe anti gun people ARE coming for our guns, they have said as much, led by ignorant politicians like Obie and Hillary who have said they ARE coming for our guns. Why do you think 185,000 people bought guns in one day? Because they know Hillary and her anti gun crime partner Bill will ram a gun ban down our throats, they did it before.

Sorry, but people learning to shoot safely and improving their personal defense skills are not idiots. The idiots are those too ignorant to understand that law abiding gun owners are not a threat. An armed populous is a threat to leftist tyranny.

Finally, if you don't like guns, and don't want a gun don't buy one, but please stop trying to force your lifestyle choice on me and others.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Anecdotes....

That aside, it's about even as far as new owners vs. those who are buying another firearm. However, that doesn't change the fact that your narrative is dead. You are pushing the idea that new guns are only being purchased by those who already own firearms. That is, quite simply, a lie.
So this gun shop you speak of only gets about 4 people at a time? Sounds like business is slow there.....though without any studies to back up your claims, I am not really interested in believing someone on the internet. And you seem to think I am talking in absolutes, which I am not.

I am sure there are new gun owners every day, I am saying that most guns are being purchased by those that already own guns. I doubt you only own one gun.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Sorry I forgot my new years resolution not to engage anti gun folks or argue in PC anymore, because my comments won't change anyone's mind, so I'll just correct your misnomers and accuzations and say g'night.

Yes, I believe there is reason to take reasonable precautions against crime, there have been numerous mostly drug related shootings within a mile of my home this summer, and I'm in rural america. Chicago has had thousands of gang attacks, as do most cities. People ARE afraid. I don't promote fear, I teach the people competance and confidence to NOT be victims.

What can go wrong with elderly people with guns? Well since old people are primary victims of thugs, and there are many accounts of granny with a gun shooting scumbags in the face after they were attacked in their own homes, I'd say old people with guns are pretty good shots!

Sorry I do believe anti gun people ARE coming for our guns, they have said as much, led by ignorant politicians like Obie and Hillary who have said they ARE coming for our guns. Why do you think 185,000 people bought guns in one day? Because they know Hillary and her anti gun crime partner Bill will ram a gun ban down our throats, they did it before.

Sorry, but people learning to shoot safely and improving their personal defense skills are not idiots. The idiots are those too ignorant to understand that law abiding gun owners are not a threat. An armed populous is a threat to leftist tyranny.

Finally, if you don't like guns, and don't want a gun don't buy one, but please stop trying to force your lifestyle choice on me and others.
You assume I am anti-gun, that is quite the opposite, I am all for guns, guns are fun, I have shot a number of them over the years and always enjoy going with my buddies to the gun range.

I am just not buying this notion that most gun sales are going to first time buyers.

Well granny has a better chance of shooting her nephew than she does shooting any criminal....

So you don't believe anyone is coming for your guns, but do you inform those that you meet that are scared that the government isn't coming for their guns either?

We live in a country of 320+million people, 185K isn't that big of a number, and it is only 10K larger than last year. So this isn't really something to be alarmed about or assume that it means they are all or mostly first time buyers.

Finally, I am cool with guns, but I am all for tight background checks and making sure they don't get into the hands of those that shouldn't have a gun in the first place. Sorry that some of us are pro-gun safety, and sorry that you see that as trying to force something on you.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:48 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The Gun sales are just a reflection of the times.

More and more people are buying them.

With the greatest of all time firearms salesman occupying the White House.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:55 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Oh I am sure you think millions of people who never owned guns are running out buying up guns. That isn't the case, but I know that isn't something you will ever accept.

I've been an avid shooter for years and also acted as Rangemaster at my favorite Range for over 7 years.
People new to the sport/firearms would show up every week and many would become regulars and some would move to other ranges closer to home and continue.

You would also be surprised to see how many they also got interested in turn.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I've been an avid shooter for years and also acted as Rangemaster at my favorite Range for over 7 years.
People new to the sport/firearms would show up every week and many would become regulars and some would move to other ranges closer to home and continue.

You would also be surprised to see how many they also got interested in turn.
And I am not saying first time buyers aren't happening, I am saying first time buyers aren't the majority of guns purchased.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
So this gun shop you speak of only gets about 4 people at a time? Sounds like business is slow there.....though without any studies to back up your claims, I am not really interested in believing someone on the internet. And you seem to think I am talking in absolutes, which I am not.

I am sure there are new gun owners every day, I am saying that most guns are being purchased by those that already own guns. I doubt you only own one gun.
I own one, my wife owns one. Haven't had a reason to buy more lately, although I used to have more. Sold those along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies