Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Hahaha - pure NRA fantasies - who is going to go to a Christmas party where everyone is armed, unless it's being held at the firing range ?

Does your little brain really think that one of the diners in that Paris cafe or concert goers would have been able stop the carnage with their handgun ? Think about what your saying.
Ok, suppose an off duty armed police officer was at that party. Suppose that one person was a crack shot? At the minimum he/she could have shot one of the muslim terrorist.

Paris has very strict gun control. Lets say it was not in Paris but Atlanta, Georgia instead? Even if one armed citizen knocks down only one terrorist, how many lives would have been saved?

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,149,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The problem is the Far Left has an All or None view - you take everyone or you're a racist. An sorting (aka common sense filtering) is evil.

All Muslims have a Holy Book that says "Kill the Infidel" but I'm unaware of an Shiites or Sunni Kurds committing acts of terror against Americans in our homeland. We've had a large Shiite community in Detroit for decades and no terrorism. Saudi funded Wahabis and Salafis are 99% of the trouble makers. Every Islamic terrorist attack on American soil has been committed by someone of Saudi, Pakistani, Palestinian, or Egyptian ancestry. Somalis have a bad reputation for crime and many have joined ISIS.
If the US is smart, it'll adopt that "evil" common sense filtering procedure. People who are not citizens or permanent residents have no entitlement to access the US at all, let alone be granted visas of any sort. With that in mind, as well as the fact that the origin of nearly all foreign terrorists can be isolated to very specific countries/sects, we have a lot of ability to prevent similar attacks should we choose to do so. Ban anyone who's ever lived/visited those countries from entering the US.

But that'll not happen. Instead, they'll punish everyday Americans and take away their rights instead - que the swabbing of babies for bombs, and government agencies more focused on reading our texts to our spouses about what kind of noodles we want to cook tonight.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
" Obama's FBI" reports Farooq's wife previously posted her support of ISIS on FB, under an alias account.
I think she may have played a much larger role than many think. She could be a ring leader of a larger group that may still be out there. Her being a mother, wife is more likely to be under the radar than a male.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
"Can't waste a good crisis" - Rahm Emanuel

No, what is priceless is that if this were GWB in office you'd be calling for his head. We see you for what you are, nothing more than an Obama cheer leader. What once rang plausible has now become tarnished and rusted, only the shell of a failed ideology is left.

It's the notion that ignorance is bliss. If they don't call a Muslim terrorist a terrorist, they'll be protected as if my some magic spell.

The fact is; these Islamic terrorists made several trips to the middle-east in the last 2 years. The parents said "he was becoming devout" which is just a misuse of the term, and another way of saying "radicalized."

They were trained. There is no way they could build the bombs without training. The progressives in here will say "they read Inspire" and then by some miracle they didn't blow themselves up? Not even possible. Just like anything else, you follow the instructions and something always goes wrong. Somebody had to have trained them to do it right.
Also follow the money....

Old 12-04-2015, 09:37 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,798,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn
Isn't a straw purchase really someone legally buying a gun and privately selling it? What is the problem with a private sale of guns/riffles?
No, a straw purchase is acting as an agent to purchase a gun for a person who cannot legally own and/or purchase a gun.

I believe private sales, the gun show clause you dearly cling to, have become regulated in most states. Even private sales require going through an FFL now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm not an expert on firearms law but I would think that even a private sale between two parties would require some kind of paperwork that needed to be filed with local police or authorities. And if not then this is a loophole I'd be in favor of closing. I'm a gun owner, have a concealed carry permit, and am strongly pro second amendment. But I think there are some things that can be done to make it harder for psychos and would-be terrorists to acquire firearms. Cracking down on straw sales would be a good step.
See above.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I think she may have played a much larger role than many think. She could be a ring leader of a larger group that may still be out there. Her being a mother, wife is more likely to be under the radar than a male.
Ring leader?

I don't know about that. Seems a tad inconsistent for a bunch of radicalized men to follow a woman's lead.

Was she the radicalized chicken or egg of the husband/ wife team? We'll likely never know.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If the US is smart, it'll adopt that "evil" common sense filtering procedure. People who are not citizens or permanent residents have no entitlement to access the US at all, let alone be granted visas of any sort. With that in mind, as well as the fact that the origin of nearly all foreign terrorists can be isolated to very specific countries/sects, we have a lot of ability to prevent similar attacks should we choose to do so. Ban anyone who's ever lived/visited those countries from entering the US.

But that'll not happen. Instead, they'll punish everyday Americans and take away their rights instead - que the swabbing of babies for bombs, and government agencies more focused on reading our texts to our spouses about what kind of noodles we want to cook tonight.
There are 70 million legal foreign visitors to the US each year.

The 9/11 hijackers all entered the US legally.

The Boston bombing brothers came to the US as young children and were US citizens. Should that ban on travel include Russia which has the greatest concentration of Muslims, in Europe.

Most of those involved in the Paris attack were citizens of France and Belgium. Should the US prevent visitors from those countries?

And then there's Germany.......

I, like tens of millions in the US, have traveled to some Muslim majority countries. Should I / we be tossed , just in case we became radicalized?

Farooq was born and raised in the US.

Maybe the US could shred the Constitution and simply ban all Muslims. What prevents anyone from putting a crucifix around their neck and reciting a Hail Mary?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
CNN:

San Bernardino shooting: Attacker pledged allegiance to ISIS, officials say

Quote:
Investigators think that as the San Bernardino, California, attack was happening, female shooter Tashfeen Malik posted a pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Facebook, three U.S. officials familiar with the investigation told CNN.

Malik's post was made on an account with a different name, one U.S. official said. The officials did not explain how they knew Malik made the post.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:40 AM

46,322 posts, read 27,145,187 times
It's amazing how the news is still saying they are not sure this is a terroist plan....absolutely freaking amazing....

Loyalty to isis.....well.....we are still not sure...

Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm not an expert on firearms law but I would think that even a private sale between two parties would require some kind of paperwork that needed to be filed with local police or authorities. And if not then this is a loophole I'd be in favor of closing. I'm a gun owner, have a concealed carry permit, and am strongly pro second amendment. But I think there are some things that can be done to make it harder for psychos and would-be terrorists to acquire firearms. Cracking down on straw sales would be a good step.
If you sold your gun to me, who, besides the two of us, would know?

If you sold your gun to me and then reported it stolen, who would know differently?

I am unaware of reasonable objective criteria that could be used to determine if someone was mentally fit enough to buy a gun.

I am unaware of reasonable objective criteria that could be used to determine who is a would- be terrorist.

Straw purchasers have a tendency to report the gun was stolen or otherwise had gone missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies