Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 07:32 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,618,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I defend the rights of fundamentalist Christians and orthodox Jews too. What is so confusing about it?
So if orthodox Jews were blowing up homes in your neighborhood, and one came to your door, you'd let them in out of respect? You'd risk them blowing up your home to be p.c.? Wow, I'd like to say that's admirable but I'd be lying.

I would refuse them entry until the attacks from orthodox Jews stopped and I felt safe. My families safety over rides religious freedom that includes bombs and guns.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 AM

4,204 posts, read 2,346,801 times
The constitution does not apply to these Muslims. They hate freedom. Look how these Muslims treat their women. Ask Muslims what they think about gay rights or a woman's right to income inequality.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:35 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,342,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Really? I don't. If a Christian man treats the women in their church badly he should be removed pronto!
Why would you accept that from anyone? Freedoms stop at the line of abuse. Then we take your freedoms away. Period.
Living in a way I don't agree with =/= abuse.

For example, a friend who is a fundamentalist Christian, insists that her daughters wear long skirts, long hair and raises them to understand they are not the head of their households. I abhor this line of thought. I do not agree with any of it.

But I don't think its abusive.

Take a look at the Amish. Their way of life is, in almost every way, something I don't agree with, spiritually speaking.

I don't have to agree with something to support someone's right to do it.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's only because conservative also tend to not like islam. They feel the need to defend anything that the "other side" is against. Many people on the right and left have no real principles.

What makes you say that? Because we don't agree with you so therefore we can't possible have morals or principles?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:44 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,596,758 times
We probably won't see too many ISIS sting arrests anymore. It seems to only help Trump. The US already has committed air support and ground troops to the rebels in Iraq/Syria. There's not much more to gain for the establishment, and gains by Trump come at their expense.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm united with others who say "We know most Muslims are not terrorists and we will not give in to the hate that ISIS so wants the Western world to turn to."
Many of us agree that most Muslims are not terrorists. So? Most young people are unlikely to become seriously ill. Are they misguided for getting insurance? Most of us live in places that are safe. Should we leave our doors unlocked when we leave?

Let's pretend you live in a beautiful neighborhood filled with friendly dogs. And you and your neighbors have gotten in the habit of leaving your gates open so all your furry friends can play together. But up in the hills are some wild dogs who have been waiting for an opportunity like this.

A lot of you would do more to protect your dogs than you would consider doing to protect fellow citizens.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Living in a way I don't agree with =/= abuse.

For example, a friend who is a fundamentalist Christian, insists that her daughters wear long skirts, long hair and raises them to understand they are not the head of their households. I abhor this line of thought. I do not agree with any of it.

Take a look at the Amish. Their way of life is, in almost every way, something I don't agree with, spiritually speaking.

I don't have to agree with something to support someone's right to do it.
When they start arming themselves and trying to take your freedoms away I think you'd change your tune. Although, maybe you wouldn't. Maybe your respect goes the distance.

So far they just preach religious morals and if one leaves their church they don't get hunted down and beheaded for all to see. If and when they don't want to allow me to wear a short skirt or cut my hair then we'll have a fair conversation about it. If and when they blow up my work place to enforce it then we will talk about it.

A lone shooter, a nut who is delusional about what a Christian church wants him to do is sad but wouldn't be enough to shake my respect of others. A recruited shooter with financial backing from their church and 30 million followers who agree to him killing me and others I have a problem with. They've lost all respect from me.
Right now we can't tell the difference between radical and non radical Muslims. I will proceed with caution until they fix our immigration and visa policies. I want to feel secure about who we let in. If it means some non radical Muslims might have to delay their trip for 6 months, a year, then so be it.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Many of us agree that most Muslims are not terrorists. So? Most young people are unlikely to become seriously ill. Are they misguided for getting insurance? Most of us live in places that are safe. Should we leave our doors unlocked when we leave?

Let's pretend you live in a beautiful neighborhood filled with friendly dogs. And you and your neighbors have gotten in the habit of leaving your gates open so all your furry friends can play together. But up in the hills are some wild dogs who have been waiting for an opportunity like this.

A lot of you would do more to protect your dogs than you would consider doing to protect fellow citizens.
Really poor analogies. None of them work at even a basic level.

We are talking about human beings and human rights. We are discussing being totally and completely anti-American, spitting on our constitution and giving in to terrorists - both abroad and domestic.

NO THANK YOU.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
When they start arming themselves and trying to take your freedoms away I think you'd change your tune. Although, maybe you wouldn't. Maybe your respect goes the distance.
Right. Because dressing a certain way is the same exact thing as arming themselves! Makes sense.

Quote:
So far they just preach religious morals and if one leaves their church they don't get hunted down and beheaded for all to see. If and when they don't want to allow me to wear a short skirt or cut my hair then we'll have a fair conversation about it. If and when they blow up my work place to enforce it then we will talk about it.

A lone shooter, a nut who is delusional about what a Christian church wants him to do is sad but wouldn't be enough to shake my respect of others. A recruited shooter with financial backing from their church and 30 million followers who agree to him killing me and others I have a problem with. They've lost all respect from me.
Right now we can't tell the difference between radical and non radical Muslims. I will proceed with caution until they fix our immigration and visa policies. I want to feel secure about who we let in. If it means some non radical Muslims might have to delay their trip for 6 months, a year, then so be it.
I disagree with every word you wrote. I think you are moving the goal posts for the religion you feel more comfortable and familiar with.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Really poor analogies. None of them work at even a basic level.

We are talking about human beings and human rights. We are discussing being totally and completely anti-American, spitting on our constitution and giving in to terrorists - both abroad and domestic.

NO THANK YOU.
You are the one giving into the bully. You know what's happening right now while congress is rushing in a visa fix? Hoards of radicals are trying to get in here before they tighten up the visa restrictions. Way to go!
Thank you! We wouldn't want to spoil someones vacation to America just to save a life. I mean we have plenty of people here right, and terrorism only kills such a small amount. I'm so sick of this bail of straw argument. BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies