Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hold up there; the Sikh religion dictates that their hair cannot be shorn or cut. The turban is merely a traditional method of keeping all that hair contained. The turban is NOT a part of their religion. Various Sikh sects use different designs of turbans to contain their hair.

The most familiar Sikh presence to the north American continent is the Turban that evolved from their historical prevalence in the fabric dying trade. With long hair and beards they were ending their work day with what you could imagine as technicolour facial and scalp hair unless they found some way of containing their beards and hair to keep it out of the dye vats.

The trimmed off irregular ends of the dyed fabric bolts of cloth, when wound a certain way around their scalp contained their hair successfully for the long work day......hence the traditional aspect of what has come to be deemed 'religious' in nature when in fact it is merely tradition in the same way a pair of sandals has been deemed regular garb for Jesus.

Sikh's know this and will readily admit it when questioned about the religious versus traditional aspect of the Turban with some of them able to doff the thing because they've carefully wound it and fixed together with hairpins so it can be removed like a hat and replaced just as easily.

Way back in the early 60's, dockyard commissioners (security guards) at Esquimalt RCN naval base in Canada were Sikhs and they would join us in the Tudor House pup for a couple of draft beers and in those days it was a requirement hats be removed when entering any restaurant or pub, they would enter and take off their turban to put it on a shelf just inside the door with all the other hats to then sit and drink an alcoholic beverage with the rest of us military personnel and later, when leaving, put their turban back on just like any other hat.

Now that they've managed to access the political correctness of their host countries to convince them the turban is religious in nature... voila ....they are now able to wear them as RCMP officers, motorcycle cops and any number of instances in contradiction to OUR traditions and laws.
I go to a lot of baseball games. At many, I must remove my ball cap when entering to show that I am not hiding something up there.

Now what it is that I could be hiding there that would not also fit elsewhere on my body in places that are not inspected; under my waist band, in the small of my back and under my baseball jersey, or any of a number of places mystifies me.

To me, this is just another example of rules made to make people "think" you are doing something about security - when really, the gesture of removing the hat to get past the gate really means squat.

As for the Sikh, my understanding too is that it is a tradition to wear the turban - and not to remove it in public because (a) it is a PITA to remove and replace (for those who chose not cut their hair [not all do]) and/or (b) many Sikh do not wish to expose their hair to the public.

I always feel put out when asked to remove my hat at the gate because I know it is non-sense. But I also know that if I want to get into the stadium, this is a silly ritual I need to tolerate. Sikhs who go to many games will also know that this is something required of them, and if they chose to go to a game, this is just something they need to tolerate too.

Sometimes, I think, it might be a good idea to provide a "turban" room for those who do not want to expose their hair in public - but then who is going to pay for this?

Basically, it comes down to this for me... You are welcome to practice your religion and your customs as you please in this country - enjoy. But if it going to become bothersome to do so - without intruding on others (i.e. the expense of a "turban"room), you need to forgo the ball game experience, or adapt to the local custom. At one time, some Skih were insulted because they could not carry their kirpan - then many adapted by making the kirpans miniature (or carrying one that is permanently bonded into it's sheath) and is therefore non-lethal. (Here is an article which explains that a kirpan is not a weapon because it is not used as a weapon. But to me, this is the same as saying I can carry my loaded Glock because I do not intend to use it as a gun - but only as a religious symbol.)

Anyway, however they do it, it is up to the Sikhs (and every other group) to adapt to US custom, not the other way around.

As for the "security custom" of removing your "hat", it is as silly and pointless for both Sihk and everyone else - just as silly as not carrying more than 3 oz. of shampoo or toothpaste and not being able to go through security without taking off your shoes at the airport; but if everyone has to play by the same rules - then no one should take offense.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 12-15-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 07:49 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times
One big surprise is that the Chargers have fans. Who knew! The other big surprise is the Sikhs would be American football fans. I'd have guessed soccer and maybe cricket. These gentleman would have looked out of place, and sense we're all a little paranoid these days, things unraveled a bit.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 12-15-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
How about we say some Muslims so as not incriminate over a billion people?
How about we learn the difference between "there" and "their" so as not look even more ignorant?
So, I take it you don't like the Sikh?

So as not look even more ignorant? Auto correct is a beach, especially if you type fast but what's your excuse?

Angry liberals do not help anyone.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Something I'd point out from reading some of the comments of the article:

This was not a case of "profiling." It was a case of ignorant bigotry.

Profiling is imminently useful, but "profiling" encompasses much more than observation of a single characteristic. "He looked like he came from the Middle East" is not profiling, it's just bigotry.
Agreed.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Sikhs would be breaking their religious "commandments" by removing their turbans.
It is not a fashion it is a religion.
They can wear a tight, thin black stocking to adhere to their faith. People have to make choices, black stocking and game, turban and no game.
I also have to make choices. Tattoo showing and no job, or cover up tattoo and have a job. Nobody is going to bend over backwards for you just because you cry religion, or individual right.

As I mentioned earlier people might be suspicious of Sikhs because Osama wore a turban. But, if we publicly educate, like the Sikhs did after 911, people will be more relaxed and there will be less profiling.
I don't know why that's so hard to grip, but people seem to be less understanding these days in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:55 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed.

Bigotry and incompetent idiocy go hand in hand.

Recall the wave of violence against Sikhs and others who looked vaguely Middle Eastern (to some people - "OMG! A beard and a turban! Must be an A-rab!" - who were and probably remain happily clueless) after September 11, 2001.

Sikh killed, others are targeted; Arizona man held - seattlepi.com
The Sikhs who owned a store near me got rid of their turbans after 9-11. They could see how the wind was blowing. It sucks big time that it just takes a few a-holes to ruin things for everybody.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Sikhs who owned a store near me got rid of their turbans after 9-11. They could see how the wind was blowing. It sucks big time that it just takes a few a-holes to ruin things for everybody.
It's a shame you see it that way. I saw it as the Sikh's are very open and understanding. They knew people were afraid after 911. They opened their doors to everyone, they had service with food and open talks about who they are and where they stand. It did a lot to see that, and people quickly got over their fear of them because of it.
After some time passed they resumed their normal activities. All faiths could learn something from this group, especially Muslims. In this environment, shortly after attacks, people are concerned about safety first and therefore put most other thoughts behind that, right or wrong, it's human nature. The Sikh's are very understanding people. Therefore they gain respect.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:31 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
If they were actually told they can't wear them into the stadium that is bad. I'm always curious about one's interpretation of an event. I went to a KC Chiefs game last year and they made me take off my hat and frisked me when I was walking in. Would a Sikh be against taking off the turban in an effort to enter the stadium and then being able to put it back on? Is that potentially what happened? If they were truly told to go put them back in the car or that they couldn't wear them when so many have hats on that is bad. If on the other hand they were told to remove them like any person wearing a hat so they could make sure you weren't carrying anything in it and they considered that to mean they couldn't wear them that's a different story.
You may want to look at some online videos about the turban as worn by Sikhs. Putting one on is complicated. It's not a hat.

Two Sikh men removed their turbans to rescue a group of drowning boys in Punjab | Metro News

Old 12-15-2015, 09:40 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
Terrible, Sikh's are not Muslim. Even if they were, they should not be denied access to a football game. Ignorant people.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You may want to look at some online videos about the turban as worn by Sikhs. Putting one on is complicated. It's not a hat.

Two Sikh men removed their turbans to rescue a group of drowning boys in Punjab | Metro News
True, it's not a hat but they can wear a ready made slim turban or a stocking cap which are both easy to take on and off but are sheer enough to see they have no weapon under there. For security purposes they are allowed to remove it. From what I've learned I don't think they would have as much of a problem with this as the onlookers are having. Just like the article you posted, if it's for security or saving a life that comes first.

They wear swim caps when swimming.
The Sikh Swim Cap
Some just wear a top knot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies