Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
It's not a "cause". I am expressing my opinion on a subject raised in a public forum.
How's that working out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Just why is it that the people in these gun threads always speak of criminals as if they were some alien species from another planet who just appear out of nowhere and shoot people? Criminals were at some point average human beings. Conversely, you never know which of the decent, law abiding folks who own guns decide to kill someone with one tomorrow. All those people who shoot up workplaces and movie theaters are not gang members or ex-convicts. They are ordinary folks like yourself who have been pushed past their breaking point or in whose head something came unhinged. How do you know if that neighbor of yours you go to the gun range with, will not shoot you in your back with his assault rifle some day? How do you know what will happen if you one day come to your gun-loving spouse and say you want to divorce him? It may very well be the last words in your life. How do you know if you yourself will not one day be overcome with such total rage and hatred for the world that you will think it a good idea to shoot some of those POS at your workplace? The more "decent law-abiding" people own guns, the more of them ever get an idea to use it on someone.

Personally, I would not trust anybody around a gun for long periods of time. That includes myself.
Dude, take your meds!

Old 12-17-2015, 02:20 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I own 3 semi automatic hunting rifles. One is a 3o8 winchester, one is a 270 Marlin and the other is a 243.
All three of these rifles are more lethal than any of the rifles being discussed. I could easily go out in my shop and engineer comparable magazines and could even put a scary black stock on them. They would be more lethal and would be legal.
The rifles you are discussing are ideal for hunting feral pigs. ( basically a rodent) They are also valuable for home defense.
That you think they are scary to look at doesn't make them more dangerous. That you don't see why someone else would want one doesn't mean no-one should. I don't think there is a need for you to have a sports car or a SUV. Should that be taken from you? None of these weapons are military grade weapons. They don't even come close. To say they are is ill informed and disingenuous.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:23 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,339,730 times
We already have an AWB here, been in place for decades

Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Exactly! All you have to do is look at how most "law abiding citizens" behave on the roads. Most of them don't even have the self control to drive safely or the anger management to avoid getting into road rage confrontations.

But yeah.. criminals can absolutely come from previously law abiding people as well.
I don't support taking guns away but we need more sensible laws and I don't buy into this notion that "more guns keep people safe" for the same reasons you mentioned.
Funny you should mention how "law abiding citizens" can become criminals. Cities like Baltimore or Ferguson were destroyed because of lack of anger management.
All that looting and burning. What a mess.
I'm like you; none of those fine citizens that took part in the destruction should ever have access to a gun.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:32 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:

The video you initially showed is FPS Russia. He was using a GLock 18. This is a pistol that has NEVER been available for public purchase in the US, and will never be available for public purchase in the US. There's a pesky law, something-something 1986. Essentially, no machine guns can be imported or sold to civilians if they are manufactured after 1986. The Glock 18 was manufactured after the cutoff date. They are attainable for LEO demos and a very small amount of other reasons.

A DIAS will not make a pistol fully automatic. Any attempt, as mentioned in your own link, will instantly make you a felon and subject you to up to 10 years in prison and a very hefty fine. BATFE does not take these incidents lightly. I highly doubt they're into plea bargaining, either.

These fully automatic firearms are what are closer to being an actual assault weapon, per the definition of some anti-gun folk. The difference is similar to a real Ferrari and a Fiero Ferrari kit car. They may look similar, but they are nothing alike.

Let's go a little further. Civilian AR receivers will not convert to automatic with the simple addition of a few, very expensive, parts. Most recent production models will not even allow a selector switch to move to what would be the full auto position. This is by design. An actual automatic M-16 receiver will run you in the $10,000 range, and only after you go through the mess of paperwork and background checks and getting a permission slip from your local CLEO. You just ain't getting automatic weapons LEGALLY without a LOT of work and even more money.

Further still, the simple possession of some parts is considered either possession of a machine gun or constructive intent. Both of them will have the BATFE clean up your tail, turning your life inside out...then sending you off to prison. You don't even have to have a complete gun!

Machine guns aren't as easy to get as some would have you believe.

***AS a bonus, the BATFE actually classified a rubber band as a machine gun at one point. Look up that opinion letter and related conversations to see bureaucracy at work.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM

756 posts, read 424,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
How's that working out?
Just fine. My opinion on the subject isn't decided by consensus (or lack thereof) in this forum.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
It's not a "cause". I am expressing my opinion on a subject raised in a public forum.

So what are some sensible restrictions?

Old 12-17-2015, 02:56 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Just fine. My opinion on the subject isn't decided by consensus (or lack thereof) in this forum.
Nor is it based on fact or knowledge, but don't let that stop you..

Old 12-17-2015, 03:08 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
I support gun rights but I really have a hard time seeing why assault weapons should be legal. There is no scenario that I can think of where someone needs one of these.
Self defense? Against what, a zombie horde? Just to own it because you can? I don't see where the risk of the weapon falling into the wrong hands because it wasn't secured
well or the owner has a mental breakdown or something is worth it. These weapons are, by design, exponentially more lethal than a handgun or a rifle.
The AR15 is the weapon of choice for controlling wild hog populations in places like Texas and Oklahoma.

A Ruger Ranch rifle looks like a traditional, wood stock rifle. But it fires the same caliber as the AR15 and it is also semi-automatic. Nobody says a word about banning these and similar rifles.

And there is nothing "more lethal" about these guns. In fact, the .223 round is fairly small as rifle rounds go. You want lethal?... Try a 12 gauge shotgun. In a confined area it will do far more damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies