Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I support gun rights but I really have a hard time seeing why assault weapons should be legal. There is no scenario that I can think of where someone needs one of these.
Self defense? Against what, a zombie horde? Just to own it because you can? I don't see where the risk of the weapon falling into the wrong hands because it wasn't secured
well or the owner has a mental breakdown or something is worth it. These weapons are, by design, exponentially more lethal than a handgun or a rifle.
You couldn't be more wrong. You have bought the kool aid that the government propaganda is trying to sell you.
An AR 15 is not any more lethal than any other semi auto hunting rifle. In fact the .223 round that it shoots is not even powerful enough for large animal such as deer. It is more suitable for coyote and feral hogs.

It is not a machine gun. It expels on bullet for each time the trigger is pulled, just like and other semi auto hunting rifle.

Because is resembles a military rifle, the government hopes it can convince the unknowing public that is is more dangerous than your grampas hunting rifle.

The administration wants to ban all guns but they know they can't get the public support. But if they can convince those that don't know enough to distinguish the functional differences between traditional hunting rifles and AR 15s, into believing these are actual military rifles, then maybe they will get public support.

The most recent report by the FBI is 2013. It shows that only 285 people were killed with all rifles combined, not just "assault rifles". They don't distinguish between different types of rifles, so we don't know how many of the 285 were killed with the rifles targeted by this administration.

So you have to ask, why is the government targeting these rifles, when Knives were used to kill 1500 people and handguns were used to kill 5700 people?

The answer is simple. The government is convincing people that these rifles are military machine guns and they can get the public to support their effort to ban. This is the first step in eventually disarming all law abiding citizens.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc..._2009-2013.xls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

in this country we have the freedom to carry, or not, in most places. we also have the freedom to speak as we wish, and we have the right to privacy as well. can you say the same thing about your country?

Do we really?
We the People have been told since the civil war, what weapons we can have, and how we can carry by government, the very thing the 2nd amendment chained the government away from.

The freedom to speak, is no longer applicable. You will be punished by government for what you say and if you worship openly and freely. The right to petition, is even curbed today and you have to ask permission from the government to protest the government.

The right to privacy has been violated just as much, if not more than the other 2 rights. Investigating you by the government(fed, state, local) has no bounds and never has. Today, government has free reign to invade your privacy at will. They don't even hide it.
They want to break encryption now, don't they... encryption, is just one way the people have found to keep their privacy from everyone, including government breaking our right to privacy..

Old 12-18-2015, 08:24 AM

756 posts, read 424,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I simply expressed an opinion" and was shortly informed where your "opinion" was NOT based on FACT and was informed what the facts and yet, you continue to post the SAME thing over and over.

"I dared to question the need of an assault weapon for self defense"

Maybe we misconstrued what you were asking.

So, clear it up for ALL of us. What do you consider is an "assault weapon".

The dictionary definition of them...

Quote:
any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle
Assault Weapon | Definition of Assault weapon by Merriam-Webster

Quote:
any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use
Assault Rifle | Definition of Assault rifle by Merriam-Webster

Old 12-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I support gun rights but I really have a hard time seeing why assault weapons should be legal. There is no scenario that I can think of where someone needs one of these.

I hunt with an AR.

I have one with the scary military looking stock and my daughter has the same rifle, in a traditional wood stock. Both have FLIR night vision scopes and 30 round capacity.
Get out of your box and you would not be so ignorant, to give other peoples rights away, along with yours.

When 100 hogs are rooting up the pastures and killing new born calves and fawns, a single shot muzzle loader is not my go to in the arsenal.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
That is what I consider an assault weapon and while I support gun rights I don't support or see the possible need for automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use for self-defense.
I do, and I'd venture to say that if assault rifles were around in the late 1700's, so would the founding fathers. They didn't add the 2nd for hunting.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Both have FLIR night vision scopes.
Night vision or thermal?

I've watched videos of people hunting hogs and recording through thermal scopes, and it looks pretty bad to the bone.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Night vision or thermal?

I've watched videos of people hunting hogs and recording through thermal scopes, and it looks pretty bad to the bone.

Well, I didn't need the one with video recording capabilities. The one on my daughters mini 14 is an older gen 2.

Mine is a newer gen 3, but not the latest bad to the bone stuff. It gets the job done and meat in the freezer, for me and many not so fortunate to have enough money to eat.

I wish I had the guts to drill the old BAR, for a scope. A fully auto 30.06 round would be a hog eradicator.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The mistake made by the would be firearms takers is they believe, without any facts to back up the belief, that eliminating guns would make them safe from criminals, terrorists and the police. Their belief is a faith and not amenable to mere fact. It is a religion to these people. They believe society would be safe and secure if there were no guns.

I also have a belief that without our own firearms most of us would soon become victims of the knife, stone and club wielding criminals infesting our society. As I am too old and heavy to survive a fist fight with a criminals let alone a knife fight and have no intention of dying by someone else's choice I will be armed with a gun whenever I choose.

Bent Bow - You actually have a BAR. Nice gun. I think, but as I do not hunt feral hogs or much else anymore, a Springfield Armory M-14 clone would do almost as well and can be bought with a scope mount from the factory. The 7.65 x 63 NATO round has almost as much power as the 30-06.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Well, I didn't need the one with video recording capabilities. The one on my daughters mini 14 is an older gen 2.

Mine is a newer gen 3, but not the latest bad to the bone stuff. It gets the job done and meat in the freezer, for me and many not so fortunate to have enough money to eat.

I wish I had the guts to drill the old BAR, for a scope. A fully auto 30.06 round would be a hog eradicator.
yeah, but then you lose a lot of good meat that way.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

You can still get an old 740 for cheap brother. My old 06 has already got 5 Deer in 3 years. It's picky on mags though.

I've noticed a few posters are now not saying AR-15s but have changed the topic to "semi-auto" rifles.

At least once in a while when we throw everything at the wall something sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies