Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed that anyone with any intelligence would support the legal sale of assault weapons. Yet, the NRA continues to do so, as do many pro gun types. They'll split hairs with defining assault weapons in order to muddy the waters on the issue. Yes I realize criminals will get them anyway, but legalizing them does not protect anyone. When is the last time a thug was killed with an assault weapon by someone defending their home?! Why does a law abiding citizen need or want one?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
That is basically an UZI. Again, under what circumstance does someone need something like that for self defense?

That is NOT an UZI. An UZI is a sub-machine gun. This is a Glock PISTOL.

This is an UZI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J08B5J0b0JU

Old 12-17-2015, 07:24 AM

756 posts, read 424,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Uh-huh.
Yeah. "Uh-huh"
Try reading next time before you make assumptions . I referenced the poll itself.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Yeah. "Uh-huh"
Try reading next time before you make assumptions . I referenced the poll itself.
And then you failed to qualify the forty-seven percent. My point stands.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So much for the liberals claims that the country is 'moving left'. Liberals are moving further left but the rest of the country isn't following them.

Most Now Oppose an Assault Weapons Ban; Doubts About Stopping a Lone Wolf Run High (POLL) - ABC News

53% now oppose an "assault weapon" ban, the highest number in 20 years. Best news for the future the poll says nearly 6 in 10 young adults oppose the ban.

Wonder why people keep saying liberals are the ones trying to ban guns?

And there are, naturally, sharp political and ideological divisions. Sixty-seven percent of liberals and 61 percent of Democrats favor banning assault weapons. Opposition, on the other hand, takes in 52 percent of moderates, 55 percent of independents, 69 percent of conservatives and 70 percent of Republicans. Opposition peaks, at 79 percent, among strong conservatives.

Seems like the general opinion of the best way to deal with lone wolf terrorism is the same thing police chiefs have been suggesting - armed citizens.

Indeed, while the division is a close one, Americans by 47-42 percent think that encouraging more people to carry guns legally is a better response to terrorism than enacting stricter gun control laws.

Of course that's hardly a surprise considering few people think government can deal with it. Coincidence that the number that think government can is about the same who think Obama is trustworthy?

There’s lopsided agreement on another concern: Just 22 percent express confidence in the government’s ability to prevent lone-wolf terrorist attacks, with 77 percent skeptical about it.
"Wonder why people keep saying liberals are the ones trying to ban guns?"

MOST people saying that are dem politicians and the small amount of anti-gunners who are mostly dems.

For a little history you might want to do some research on why the Clinton so-called Assault Weapons Ban was allowed to expire and why Obama's attempt to renew it failed.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And then you failed to qualify the forty-seven percent. My point stands.
No it doesn't.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
That is NOT an UZI. An UZI is a sub-machine gun. This is a Glock PISTOL.

This is an UZI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J08B5J0b0JU

Quote:
Notice that they clearly sell a metal part that can render a glock into full-auto. It's not like those device that use recoil type full-auto ( one round per pull on trigger), it is a truly automatic machine gun ( full-auto one trigger pull!!)
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-against-...like-class-III

Old 12-17-2015, 07:32 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I can almost guarantee that no one here owns an assault rife that is designed for combat.

That's not what they say on MSNBC! :smirk:

Old 12-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You can't get 10 people to agree on the definition of an assault weapon.
There ALREADY IS a clear definition.

It would be better stated, "Why don't the anti-gunners LEARN what a REAL "assault weapon" actually is and USE the term ONLY when it applies to the real thing"?

I can tell you why. because they have an agenda and want to use emotion to sway those that don't know one form the other.

The term "assault weapon" puts a (false) picture in some peoples minds and the anti gunners use that emotion to attempt to ban weapons that "look" like a "REAL" military gun capable of firing on full automatic.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I support gun rights but I really have a hard time seeing why assault weapons should be legal. There is no scenario that I can think of where someone needs one of these.
Self defense? Against what, a zombie horde? Just to own it because you can? I don't see where the risk of the weapon falling into the wrong hands because it wasn't secured
well or the owner has a mental breakdown or something is worth it. These weapons are, by design, exponentially more lethal than a handgun or a rifle.
"but I really have a hard time seeing why assault weapons should be legal."

Even though it has been explained THOUSANDS of times, people like you DON'T KNOW what an "assault " weapon is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies