Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 01:50 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Lee was called to duty by his country, and he turned his back on that call and instead led a rebellion against it. What he believed personally doesn't matter in light of that choice.
You are mistaken, the country was set up as individual states banding together for a few minor mutual advantages. His citizenship of Virginia took precedence over the fact Virginia was a part of the USA and he opposed the state leaving the Union. All power not specifically enumerated to the Federal Government rests with the states.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:10 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
To deny your history is to deny yourselves.

This is what you get with Nagin saying he will keep NOLA chocolate.
1) Refusing to honor Confederate soldiers is not denying history. Denying history is saying "it never happened ". Taking down those monuments to traitorous men is an act of "when you know better, do better".

2) The mayor of New Orleans is White.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:17 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
they want to erase history, it is no different from those in the middle easst that been bulldozing all the shrines and historic sites. the leftest political correct has won, 100 years from now, they will be no written history of the civil war or slavery, it be wipe from the surface. You might not like it but it doesnt give you the right to hide it

Old 12-17-2015, 02:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'm torn on this. On one hand it's a terrible mistake to think you can correct history by removing visual reminders of it. But on the other hand, most of these monuments were not erected until the 1930 and later in an effort to romanticize the Antebellum South and rewrite history about the Civil War.

If anything, I think we should keep these monuments in place but add new plaques telling the unvarnished truth about who these supposed heros of the South were.
Quote:
I agree, it's stupid to try to erase history. On the other hand, those Confederate "heroes" were actually traitors as defined by the U.S. Constitution. And those monuments should reflect that as well, since we're all about historical truth here.
Def a hot mess here for the reasons you 2 posters said.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:26 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they want to erase history, it is no different from those in the middle easst that been bulldozing all the shrines and historic sites. the leftest political correct has won, 100 years from now, they will be no written history of the civil war or slavery, it be wipe from the surface. You might not like it but it doesnt give you the right to hide it
Wrong, we have museums. Want to see hostory about the Confederate cause? See it in museums. That is where it belongs. Those statues need to come down. It is the equivalent of honoring traitors. This has noth8ng to do with political correctness. This is about common sense . It is irrational to honor traitors. It is irrational to honor a cause that was heavily invested in maintaining slavery. The Articles of Secession is proof of it.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
New Orleans is now and has always been a sinful cesspool. I will not aid you in dishonoring our honorable ancestors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planne..._Sanger_Awards

Yes we lost the war to those who glory in their sinful endeavors. American by birth and Southern by the grace of God.

The party who honors this person also booed God in their last convention. Yeah, you really want to be a part of that bunch!
If New Orleans has always been sinful, arent you contradicting your own argument.

Further more, Democrats did not boo God, we booed the media meddling in party affairs, arguing that we had to mention the word god in our party platform, which is in an of itself stupid since this is a nation of laws where even republicans have argued that your religious beliefs should not guide your governance of individuals who do not believe the same as you.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:27 PM

461 posts, read 333,146 times
Quote:
The mayor of New Orleans, with the support of the majority of the City Council, appears ready to take down four monuments, including a towering statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. If approved, this would be one of the most sweeping gestures yet by an American city to sever ties with Confederate history.

I'm not sure I agree with removing all of these monuments. I think the suggestion of a compromise of turning Lee Circle into Generals Circle and adding a statue of Sherman, and making Jefferson Davis Parkway into Presidents Avenue and adding a statue of Abraham Lincoln, is a better idea. Instead of removing historical monuments, add context that gives a broader overall view of history.

New Orleans Poised To Remove Its Confederate Monuments

But I'm not sure many southerners would agree with a statue of Sherman or Lincoln next to their Confederate heroes.
Cultural Genocide.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
So sad that people can't view history for what it is..history.
Put all those statues in some back room where they will gather dust because of PC.

Putting those statues away won't change history.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have spoken to American Civil War historians. And no, these were not "revisionist" types. These were people who are well-educated on this subject. I brought up the Articles of Secession. One man admitted that the desire to keep slavery was a major reason for secession. In fact, this is mentioned in the Articles of Secession, which has been posted on city-data many times.

The Reasons for Secession

http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...moved-210.html

States' Rights

Slavery was a large part in this. States rights might have been part of it. However, it goes back to slavery, and the fear that it would have been abolished under Lincoln.

That is why I have no respect for anything related to the Confederacy. It is natural to hate a cause that is inherently detrimental to you. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, I look at the Confederate cause from that perspective.
Before the Civil War, when did Lincoln ever want to abolish slavery? It was not even abolished during his time as president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wrong, we have museums. Want to see hostory about the Confederate cause? See it in museums. That is where it belongs. Those statues need to come down. It is the equivalent of honoring traitors. This has noth8ng to do with political correctness. This is about common sense . It is irrational to honor traitors. It is irrational to honor a cause that was heavily invested in maintaining slavery. The Articles of Secession is proof of it.
Name one person from the Civil War convicted of treason.

There is absolutely zero provision for charging anyone with treason, name the law they broke as there was no law against succession from the US.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:41 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
More PC crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies