Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

The Confederacy happened, but it's not really anything to take pride in. And if the people in New Orleans have no desire to see monuments praising their forefathers' folly, good on them for having them removed. It's their city.
New Orleans is now and has always been a sinful cesspool. I will not aid you in dishonoring our honorable ancestors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planne..._Sanger_Awards

Yes we lost the war to those who glory in their sinful endeavors. American by birth and Southern by the grace of God.

The party who honors this person also booed God in their last convention. Yeah, you really want to be a part of that bunch!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-18-2015 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Fine with me. I don't see an issue.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree, it's stupid to try to erase history. On the other hand, those Confederate "heroes" were actually traitors as defined by the U.S. Constitution. And those monuments should reflect that as well, since we're all about historical truth here.
One reason I don't get upset at the removal of Confederate monuments in New Orleans is because of what you said. The Confederates were traitors. That isn't the only reason.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-18-2015 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It takes a lot of hatred to remove a statue that was put there by the love and honor of those doing it.

Hate on and see where it takes you. Good people build up. Trashy people trash. History happened. Get over it.

Have you noticed most of this historical trashing is happening in areas with extremely high crime rates? Maybe they should change their focus to try and wipe out crime.

We visited New Orleans and got away still alive. No need to ever go back there.
I have spoken to American Civil War historians. And no, these were not "revisionist" types. These were people who are well-educated on this subject. I brought up the Articles of Secession. One man admitted that the desire to keep slavery was a major reason for secession. In fact, this is mentioned in the Articles of Secession, which has been posted on city-data many times.

The Reasons for Secession

http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...moved-210.html

States' Rights

Slavery was a large part in this. States rights might have been part of it. However, it goes back to slavery, and the fear that it would have been abolished under Lincoln.

That is why I have no respect for anything related to the Confederacy. It is natural to hate a cause that is inherently detrimental to you. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, I look at the Confederate cause from that perspective.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
New Orleans is now and has always been a sinful cesspool. I will not aid you in dishonoring our honorable ancestors.
Honorable is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I for one do not see where the inhabitants of New Orleans owe the Confederate generals anything.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Honorable is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I for one do not see where the inhabitants of New Orleans owe the Confederate generals anything.
Agreed. Those soldiers did nothing that was beneficial for New Orleans.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
To deny your history is to deny yourselves.

This is what you get with Nagin saying he will keep NOLA chocolate.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:12 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The mayor of New Orleans, with the support of the majority of the City Council, appears ready to take down four monuments, including a towering statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. If approved, this would be one of the most sweeping gestures yet by an American city to sever ties with Confederate history.

I'm not sure I agree with removing all of these monuments. I think the suggestion of a compromise of turning Lee Circle into Generals Circle and adding a statue of Sherman, and making Jefferson Davis Parkway into Presidents Avenue and adding a statue of Abraham Lincoln, is a better idea. Instead of removing historical monuments, add context that gives a broader overall view of history.

New Orleans Poised To Remove Its Confederate Monuments

But I'm not sure many southerners would agree with a statue of Sherman or Lincoln next to their Confederate heroes.
As one who grew up in New Orleans, I understand how the black majority is sensitive to symbols of the Confederacy. But an understanding of history (which unfortunately political correctness stops the education process and reverses it), would reveal Robert E Lee considered slavery evil, freed his slaves before the Emancipation Proclamation, and was against Virginia leaving the Union and joining the Confederacy but he was called to duty and responded. Lincoln was also no paragon of virtue. But I'm sure none of that will matter and they will do what they will do. Quote from Lee in 1856 in commending Abe Lincoln's hope to end slavery.

" There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa"

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 12-17-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 01:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As one who grew up in New Orleans, I understand how the black majority is sensitive to symbols of the Confederacy. But an understanding of history (which unfortunately political correctness stops the education process and reverses it), would reveal Robert E Lee considered slavery evil, freed his slaves before the Emancipation Proclamation, and was against Virginia leaving the Union and joining the Confederacy but he was called to duty and responded. Lincoln was also no paragon of virtue. But I'm sure none of that will matter and they will do what they will do. Quote from Lee in 1856 in commending Abe Lincoln's hope to end slavery.

" There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa"
Lee was called to duty by his country, and he turned his back on that call and instead led a rebellion against it. What he believed personally doesn't matter in light of that choice.

Last edited by JAMS14; 12-17-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 01:49 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Like I always say "it didn't happen if I don't remember".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies