Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

At its core an excuse is essentially a lie. It’s a false reason given why something did or did not happen that is meant to mask or deflect from the real reason that it did or did not happen. Thus, when people say that blacks are using other things as excuses for their failure, leaves out what is the true cause of their failure, as believed by those who dissent against the reasons given.

Dissenters never mention what the root cause of “black failure is”. When I say the root cause, I do not mean superficial things like being more personally responsible, better choice making or working harder, because those things are not the root. In other words, if those things are the argument of why blacks are “failing” relative to whites, then that implies that whites are superior at being responsible, working hard, making good choices, etc., than blacks are. No? The root is what makes whites more responsible, harder workers and better choice makers than blacks?

Essentially, non-instinctive actions by humans are the product of mental cognitions. Hence, if blacks are acting and or performing inferior to whites, for no external reason (our excuses), then the only realm left to explain the failure is the internal realm of being black. In other words, the only explanation is that the black mind is inferior to the white mind and hence this inferiority causes blacks to make inferior choices, to be less responsible, to not realize the benefit of hard work, etc.

On the flip side, if you eliminate the racial or cultural inferiority as a cause for the relative failure of blacks in America…what else explains the failure other than the centuries of treating blacks and white differently in this nation?

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-28-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 12:19 PM

552 posts, read 314,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
perhaps we have differing views on the word "racist." I've always viewed it as someone who believed they belonged to a superior race.
A racist is someone who knows who they are.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Does La'Shiqua sound more white or more black?
Does Emily sound more white or more black?
Hmm. Emily has been around for 2000 years and common in all English speaking countries. I'm willing to bet there have been far more Black women named Emily than those named La'Shiqua.

Only someone who sees skin color before they see anything else would think that Emily is just a "White" name.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I do understand what white privilege is, I can't help you if you wish not to educate yourself rather than waste your time trolling. Good bye.
Yet your only response when asked about it, is to insult the party as you just did. That speaks highly to whether it exists or not. IMO, there isn't such a thing and certainly no proof has been presented in this topic.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

On the flip side, if you eliminate the racial or cultural inferiority as a cause for the relative failure of blacks in America…what else explains the failure other than the centuries of treating blacks and white different in this nation?
Easy answer.
  • The choices that one makes with their life determines failure & success. Period.
  • A Black man is the President of the USA. The majority of people who voted for him were White. He didn't get there by complaining about "White Privilege".
  • Your point is disproved.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I didn't say it mattered to me. I'm just saying that this is how the market works.

Of course, and it's "female" privilege (in the case of a male author changing his name to be more feminine). And it's "Posh" privilege (changing their name to sound less poor white trash). Stamp out female privilege and posh privilege! How these male authors and poor white trash people have suffered...

Would you lament over Billy Bob having to change his name to get ahead with quite the same passion as you do with black-sounding names? Somehow I doubt it.

Until we have several generations come and go, that isn't going to happen, and Heinrich needs to eat today. So Heinrich must deal with how things are now.

You're misunderstanding. I don't care either way, I'm saying that the market for romance books is this way. Typically, female romance readers don't buy romance novels written by men. (There are few exceptions, but it's not the norm.) That's the conventional wisdom. That's what Heinrich is dealing with. So, what do you suggest he do?

Maybe one shouldn't "have" to, but if they want to succeed in the here and now, they may have to. Just like Heinrich needs to decide, if he's going to fight sexism in romance writing, or if he's going to actually make a living. Maybe if he starts out by making a living, he can work for gradual change. But if he is stubborn and refuses to change his name, he fails as a romance author. Does he get to blame those evil sexist women who wouldn't read his books?

But I wonder, how often do they spend time complaining about it, rather than working hard to educate themselves, and not naming their kids Laquisha?

A lot of anecdotes about "white privilege" cannot be verified either. Some people claiming that something happened to them is not the same as it being verified as facts. People can give their perception of why others treat them a certain way, but is that proof? Is a perception the same as fact? Two can play this game. "White privilege" could be, at least in part, in the imaginations of those who claim to suffer from it. They assign motives to why others treat them a certain way and label it "white privilege."

I'm not actually suggesting that there is never such a thing, and that no prejudices have ever occured against black people. YOU, however, are suggesting that never has a white person lost a job to a minority (since you said you doubted that my gay white male friend actually lost a job to a minority). You assume that he was not telling me the truth about that, because such things don't happen. Interesting . . .
I don't know what to tell you, we seem to be at an impasse and I am tired of repeating myself because it seems to me you just aren't getting it. Maybe someone else can better explain it to you.....

Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
That is called racism and is what white privilege means.
White privilege is racism? Aha! We finally got the definition of WP, it boils down to all white people are racist.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Inheridated? -- I'm sure Mr. Chandler wouldn't know what to make of your choice of words.
It must be a cross between "inherited" and "dated". Blacks have inherited the dated legacy of slavery and are privileged to carry this baggage around to get free stuff from whites. That is white privilege.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
White privilege is racism? Aha! We finally got the definition of WP, it boils down to all white people are racist.
Exactly.

"White Privilege" = "New Way to call Whitey Racist Without having to Admit It"

Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Exactly.

"White Privilege" = "New Way to call Whitey Racist Without having to Admit It"
Both races can be racist, and there is no need to be a coward about it anymore. Own up to it and keep it moving. I have more privileges as an employed individual compared to someone that is depending upon the government for their livelihood.

Employed Individual Privilege= New Way to call Government Dependent folks "Lazy Leeches" Without having to Admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies