Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
show me one, just one, gun control law that has led to reduced gun violence. the problem is that you cant because it doesnt happen. all gun control laws do is keep them out of the hands law abiding citizens. ...
Y'know what's strange? Gun homicides in the US have been decreasing since the peak in 1993.

Quote:
Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Nearly all the decline in the firearm homicide rate took place in the 1990s; the downward trend stopped in 2001 and resumed slowly in 2007.

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center
Although I don't think it's as clear what factors are responsible for the decrease. If these factors were easily identified, I think most folks would be willing to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
You are the one splitting hairs not me.

No rights are completely unlimited. Can you quote anyone on this forum who has stated this?
Most everyone in this thread has. Fact is the whole premise of this thread is "Shall Not Be Infringed!!!!!" and stands for the concept that any restriction on any form of gun ownership and any current gun restriction on the books is unconstitutional. No restrictions of any kind, any where, for any reason, is really their agenda. You need to read the thread better and every pro gun thread ever started on CD.

They cloud the argument of mandatory background checks at gun shows proposed by Obama, by claiming it's against the meaning of the 2nd amendment and is really the federal government taking away everyone's firearms. Every law or reasonable restriction ever proposed is always twisted to "They are taking away everyone's guns."
Truth is, no law has ever been passed in America that proposed taking away everyone's guns.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:05 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Y'know what's strange? Gun homicides in the US have been decreasing since the peak in 1993.

Although I don't think it's as clear what factors are responsible for the decrease. If these factors were easily identified, I think most folks would be willing to consider.
Legislation was passed by the Republican congress expressly forbidding any studies of the causes of gun homicides.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
So then police should not be armed and the President should not have armed security because armed protection has failed at times.
Police should not be armed and by extension neither should the Secret Service. Not because armed protection has failed at times, but because armed protection fails all the time. When it hasn't failed, it hasn't been needed. That is about 99.9% of the time.

Quote:
What about the times where being armed has prevented a crime or saved someone's life.
What about them. It was very commonly thought that seat belts were dangerous because being thrown clear from a serious collision was better than being trapped in the wreckage. In the vast majority of situations that gun advocates claim are "self-defense" the attacker was armed with something other than a gun, or not even armed at all! That just should not be. Absolutely, having a gun in a country where a majority of everyone else including those predisposed to violent crime are unarmed, seems like a desirable state of affairs. If there was no collateral damage to innocents we would not be having this discussion. But that is not the case. The chances of doing something heroic with your gun are very, very small. There is a much greater (though still small) risk that your gun will end up doing something tragic, with or without you.

Quote:
If you don't want to defend your home or family with a gun that is your business, your choice. I choose to exercise my Constitutional right to bear arms. You don't have to like it, but there isn't anything you can do about it.
That is a smug, arrogant and insensitive POV, and sort of informs my opinion of why there is so much tragedy swirling around those who choose to exercise their Constitutional right to bear arms. You're right. I don't like it. You are right again, there is presently nothing that is being done about it. Have you not noticed, however, that that is changing? The very arrogance and insensitivity of gun owners and advocates, and their overly literal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment as some kind of mandate, is one of the factors motivating those who seek to revisit the Sacred Writ of the 2nd Amendment to The Constitution and drag it, kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 01-08-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 12:05 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Guess we can use the argument both ways.

Those for disarming citizens should be for disarming police. If you're going to claim that having guns doesn't help citizens protect themselves, then having guns doesn't help police protect themselves.

So, military only.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 PM

552 posts, read 314,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I can't help but notice that while there is a phrase 'shall not be infringed' in the 2nd Amendment, there's also no word such as 'ammunition' in said amendment.

See how strict interpretation works?
I notice that while there are laws that make the holder of a drivers license legally allowed to operate a motor vehicle, no mention is made that they may buy gasoline. See how strict interpretation works?

Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some research has looked at gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide, for example:

MMS: Error

Is that why doctors & nurses are now asking minor children, if there are guns in their house, during a private exam?

Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

Gun fetishism is as bad as any form of religious extremism, imo. It fosters a culture of tolerance for high levels of gun violence, and subsequently, any violence causes an even stronger belief that more guns are the answer.

Freedom is a very scary endeavor. Not meant for the weak.

It is the only thing, that keeps you free from total government enslavement.(where we are headed)
The US. Governments job 1, is to take the Constitution so they have all the power.
Like the Constitution even matters to them today. They have gotten away with so much in the past by stacking the supreme courts. Why stop now.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
I can't help but notice that while there is a phrase 'shall not be infringed' in the 2nd Amendment, there's also no word such as 'ammunition' in said amendment.

See how strict interpretation works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
I notice that while there are laws that make the holder of a drivers license legally allowed to operate a motor vehicle, no mention is made that they may buy gasoline. See how strict interpretation works?
Ohhhh, major burn!

Try reading the entire thread next time.

Quote:
I was doing so sarcastically, to make a point.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The problem is that 40% of guns are transferred without a background check. I know the follow up is "so what", but there is evidence to show that mandatory background checks for all transfers makes a difference:
  • Surrogate or straw purchases are illegal nationwide under federal law, they were more than six times as common in the comparison states as in California.20
  • There is some evidence that gun shows with restrictive regulations mandating background checks have less illegal activity than shows in states or jurisdictions without this requirement.”
  • "Investigators conducted “integrity tests” of 30 private-party sellers at seven gun shows in Nevada, Ohio, and Tennessee. An investigator then approached each seller and negotiated the purchase of a firearm, but during the negotiation said that he “probably could not pass a background check.” Of the 30 sellers, 19 completed the sales despite this clear indication that the buyer was a prohibited person"
I can't see any reason not to conduct a background check on every transfer of a gun that does not involve a spouse or family member.

Shall not be infringed by government.....
We the people still try and maintain a little tid bit of our freedom. You will never ever be able to regulate who I give, or sell my guns to. Again, to get it through your thick skull....... EVER!

You can only punish me after the fact... PERIOD. Your ass is still dead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies