Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

This is a good read for everyone:

The Mirage of a Growing Fuel Supply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is a good read for everyone:

The Mirage of a Growing Fuel Supply
True or not, the opinion piece doesn't justify governmental funding of the development of alternative fuels.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no reason whatsoever to utilize taxpayer money in the development of alternative fuels.
I hate to argue with Libertarians because they are always 'right'. But IMO energy is so closely linked to national success and security that I believe it to be in our national best interest to promote alternatives.

What about the use of funds other than taxpayer money? Or is it that you just don't want Gov't involved?

What about times of war?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I hate to argue with Libertarians because they are always 'right'. But IMO energy is so closely linked to national success and security that I believe it to be in our national best interest to promote alternatives.

What about the use of funds other than taxpayer money? Or is it that you just don't want Gov't involved?

What about times of war?
I don't think tenured bureaucrats and politicians can or should determine best technologies.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I don't think tenured bureaucrats and politicians can or should determine best technologies.
I don't think that they do. But they may have reasons to push for alternatives to conventional energy, among other things. Especially in times of economic stress, insecurity or war.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think that they do. But they may have reasons to push for alternatives to conventional energy, among other things. Especially in times of economic stress, insecurity or war.
That they are supplying taxpayer money to differing technologies indicates that they are.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to tax rebates, but rather cash subsidies, grants and loans all with taxpayer money.
The $7,500 federal tax rebate to buy an electric car like the Volt is just part of it, we hand out billions of taxpayer dollars to the all these green energy manufacturers, this cronyism just never ends.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That they are supplying taxpayer money to differing technologies indicates that they are.
Nudging and steering is not necessarily picking or choosing. e.g. like the ethanol push that has faded.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Sure they do. The feds pick winners and losers all the time. They are at war with coal-fired power plants, forcing them to close their plants. Then the feds pour our tax dollars into solar and wind, and freaking bio-fuels, neither of which are replacements for the loss of coal-fired electrical power.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
What a short sighted post. Do you really think a diminishing commodity will stay priced low? The lower demand in oil has helped drive their prices lower as well as lowered our emissions EV are a great product for a sustainable future. Oil is not, at any price.
Short sighted ? Really ?

Most people are keeping cars for 4-6 years, on average.

The gas prices were well below $4 for a couple years now and will likely stay that way for another 3-4 years.

So most people buying now would not see a financial benefit of an electric when comparing apples to apples.

And that's the key, apples to apples.

Look at Corolla - which is not the smallest or most fuel-economic car on the market, but is more spacious than a Volt or a Leaf. Assuming 50/50 city / highway driving, it has average fuel economy of 36mpg. An average American drives 15,000 miles per year. That's roughly 417 gallons of fuel. Even at $4 per gallon of gas it's $1,668 per year.

The basic Corolla is $16k cheaper than a basic Volt. So at $4 per gallon, it would take a Volt buyer who never uses any gas almost 10 years to break even vs buying a basic Corolla. Saving $1,668 every year, and it still takes 10 years to start actually saving any money over what he overpays from the very beginning.

Well, not everyone wants a basic car. Let's say between the tax subsidies and options the difference is only $10k. Still, it's 6 years of using no gas at all until he breaks even vs buying that optioned up Corolla.

So even at $4 per gallon, most people will never see any savings from buying an electric car vs buying an economical compact gasoline powered car of a similar or even bigger size.

10, 15 years from now, the situation will likely be different. But people are not buying cars today to be prepared for something 10 years down the road. They simply don't keep cars that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies