Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Crazy. One year before it was still the 80 richest people, so the inequality is accelerating.

One reason for that exploding inequality they say is that 9 out of 10 big corporations make use of tax havens in order to avoid paying taxes. This costs developing countries where those companies are active more than 100 billion dollars per year.

Why doesn't anyone do anything about that? I don't get it, really. There are global trade and other organizations, which could simply rule that income has to be fully taxed where it is earned, no matter where, without exception.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
why do you and others care so much what other people own? they went out and EARNED their wealth. if you want to be wealthy, then you go out and EARN it yourself. if others want to be wealthy they can go out and EARN the money. do yourself a favor and stop stressing about what other people do, and take care of your own.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why do you and others care so much what other people own? they went out and EARNED their wealth. if you want to be wealthy, then you go out and EARN it yourself. if others want to be wealthy they can go out and EARN the money. do yourself a favor and stop stressing about what other people do, and take care of your own.

But..but...they should share. Boo hoo

Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 AM

If you don't realize things are going wrong, you have a problem.

Also, many rich people are rich because of crimes and immoral actions such as tax evasion.

Nobody on earth deserves to own hundreds of millions let alone billions of dollars or euros, not a single person, no matter what their work is.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If you don't realize things are going wrong, you have a problem.

Also, many rich people are rich because of crimes and immoral actions such as tax evasion.

Nobody on earth deserves to own hundreds of millions let alone billions of dollars or euros, not a single person, no matter what their work is.
do you have actual PROOF of this, or are you just making accusations in hopes that someone will side with you? as to what people deserve, that is not up to you now is it?

i have enough problems dealing with my own issues, without deal with the issues of others. if someone makes themselves rich, i am fine with that. one thing i learned many many years ago is that if you are a racer, someone is always faster than you are, or will be. if you are an athlete someone is better than you are. if you are rich, someone out there is richer than you are. if you are great at what you do, there is someone out there better than you.

the best thing you can do for yourself is stop fretting over what someone else is or does, and just deal with your own problems, wants, and needs.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM

Look at it this way. Say you earn a quarter of a million a year, which is already super much, imagine about 20k every month! That makes a million every 4 years, i.e. 10m during a working life of 40 years, assuming you earn so much all the time. I suppose some doctors earn that much.

But more than 10m per life? What are the ways to do that? Stocks (i.e. earning from other people's work, I don't call that "deserving"), interest (same thing), etc. And of course by trying to avoid paying taxes.

Sorry, but you are a fool if you think it doesn't matter to society how much other people earn, and how they do it. It is a human society, not millions of independent planets.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:41 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Look at it this way. Say you earn a quarter of a million a year, which is already super much, imagine about 20k every month! That makes a million every 4 years, i.e. 10m during a working life of 40 years, assuming you earn so much all the time. I suppose some doctors earn that much.

But more than 10m per life? What are the ways to do that? Stocks (i.e. earning from other people's work, I don't call that "deserving"), interest (same thing), etc. And of course by trying to avoid paying taxes.

Sorry, but you are a fool if you think it doesn't matter to society how much other people earn, and how they do it. It is a human society, not millions of independent planets.
Stocks are just a way to invest in a company. Without investment 99.9% of the technology you used to post that message would not exist.

Without interest, I would not put my money in a bank. Without deposits, banks could not make loans.

How do these rich people avoid paying taxes? If they break the law, they should be prosecuted. If they follow the law, no matter how badly it is written, then they are doing nothing wrong.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Or maybe that number is accelerating because the poorest people breed like rabbits so there is an ever increasing number of them. If the bottom of the population keeps doubling their population every 16 years it's hardly a surprise that the top most wealthy will continue to own more and more than the bottom.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:

there again you are stressing over what someone else is doing, and that does nothing but harm YOU. if you are making what you want to be making, and you are covering your nut doing that, and you are happy with what you have, then why are you stressing over what someone else does? i dont give a damn that bill gates, for instance, is worth $50 billion. it doesnt matter to me. i dont care if warren buffet is worth several billion either, again it doesnt matter to me, i just dont care about what they make, so why do you?

if i wanted to be rich, i could have been. i just didnt want the headaches that go along with getting there and maintaining the wealth. too many issues from people like you wanting some government to take away what i EARNED, because you are jealous of what i have, rather than trying to get what you want ofr yourself.

you are the typical self absorbed liberal that want to destroy the rich because they went out and EARNED what they have. you think that because they got rich, they must have been doing something nefarious to get that way. you cant stand others being extremely successful while you are not. and you think that somehow big government should step in and prevent everyone from getting richer than anyone else.

in the end what you want is equal outcomes, and that just wont happen, regardless of what you or some government agency wants. you have yet to learn that life isnt fair, that some people are just not motivated to make a lot of money, and some are. you also forget that at a certain point on the money making scale, that if you are going to be wealthy, you are going to have to spend a lot more time working with your money to just maintain the wealth, let alone increase it.

the fact is that you dont know what they did to get where they are, and what they need to do just to maintain what they have.

so stop stressing over what they do, and stress over what you do about your own situation.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 AM

Things have gotten out of hand. I am not against a small gain from investment, but things have gone way too far.
It would be possible to cap such gains, stop excessive speculation etc. if it happened on a global basis via one of those global trade or UN organizations.

Indeed, that is why I am saying there should be clear global laws without exception. Make companies pay full taxes locally wherever they earn money. No loopholes, no nationalist egoism, etc. So immoral acts would turn into crimes, which could be punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.