Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:13 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times

Advertisements

Any guesses?

I actually think Medicare could make money by insuring young healthy people. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:17 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Why not? Young people are already picking up the tab for the retirement of said "old"

Old 02-03-2016, 06:28 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Interesting thought experiment, but the private medical insurance companies are spending millions to make sure something like that never, ever happens.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Isn't that what Bernie Sanders and Mr. Trump would implement, i.e., a single-payer health care system.

Mick

Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why not? Young people are already picking up the tab for the retirement of said "old"

I guess we have to know what you mean by young, and if you mean a 26 year old is young (because parents can now keep their 26 year old child on their policy) you maybe wrong....

Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Isn't that what Bernie Sanders and Mr. Trump would implement, i.e., a single-payer health care system.

Mick
I am talking about giving young people the chance of choosing medicare versus private health insurance.

99% of old people choose medicare when they turn 65 and dop private health insurance like a hot potato.

I think young folks would likely choose medicare over private health insurance. Why not? The docs, nurses, and hospitals are the same. Old and young people go to the same docs and hospitals.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I guess we have to know what you mean by young, and if you mean a 26 year old is young (because parents can now keep their 26 year old child on their policy) you maybe wrong....
What if you as head of a family could buy a medicare policy for your whole fam?

I simply would like to see the private folks compete with medicare.

Medicare only insures old sick people. From an actuary point of view that is very bad business. However, if medicare also insured young healthy people they could actually make money. We all know private health insurance is a gold mine. And they make billions because they do not have to insure the OLD and the sick.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Interesting thought experiment, but the private medical insurance companies are spending millions to make sure something like that never, ever happens.
You are correct! The private health insurance lobby lines the pockets of everybody in Washington to make sure Medicare is not extended to the young and healthy.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are correct! The private health insurance lobby lines the pockets of everybody in Washington to make sure Medicare is not extended to the young and healthy.
Insurance lobbyists actually created ACA..as during negotiation attempting to get HC for all..THEY rammed down the thoughts of Politicians..necessity to make it a "Free Market" HC Industry..tho they did have to swallow certain parameters...

But in all fairness..Medicare for ALL means that ALL citizens pay into the system..even tho not all feel they need it ( young/invincible folks)..But this is how it works..When totality pays into a system..means it's affordable..as means NO body has worry about an illness/accident/losing their assets due to unforeseen demands..

As above..That's how it's been for us guys north of 49th Parallel for decades..and yes American's love to mock it..BUT no one up here ends up bankrupt experiencing a child suffering from some expensive HC issue//nor some young person without coverages..have liens put on his wages for debts to HC costs..or whats really despicable..millions never seek HC ( can't afford it) and end up in some ER...and Taxpayer's end up PAYING ...WHY?? Why not spread it around??

USA has 318 million+..So if payments gets spread across the board..Individual costs/payments are minimal compared to Insurance premiums..which if and when you claim gets a pittance coverage..and still gets charged/held responsible.....

Insurance Companies are not your friend..Profit Margin will never allow users to profit....in fact often they will send investigators to prove a claimant as fraudulent..LOL Sure some do..But more often than not..the fraudulent make out like bandits..compared to true claimants..IMO!!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What if you as head of a family could buy a medicare policy for your whole fam?

I simply would like to see the private folks compete with medicare.

Medicare only insures old sick people. From an actuary point of view that is very bad business. However, if medicare also insured young healthy people they could actually make money. We all know private health insurance is a gold mine. And they make billions because they do not have to insure the OLD and the sick.
You obviously know very little about 'private insurance', how small companies profit margins are, the push by the government to give traditional Medicare to private companies under Medicare advantage, the disgust...

That's why I left the industry. Even most inside it have little idea how it all ties together.

Btw people, de facto, it already is a single payor system in that aspect that all utilization (private, Medicare, Medicaid) gets sent, every year, for rate computation (under huge penalties if late) which is then factored out by wage indices.

Oh, one more: traditional Medicare, known as MAC's, that administer part a and b, are PRIVATE companies. Know how they get the contrAct? Lowest cost to adjudicate a claim. Only rule is, the private (say bcbs) must keep its FISS separate from non government entities.

But, yeah, it's all ER based and everyone denies claims because it saves money. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies