Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

The SCOTUS ruling Obergefell vs Hodges was a great thing in that it brought full marriage equality in all 50 states. With that said, from my own experience, it stirred up a hornet's nest which has set back the overall attitude the public has towards the LGBT community. It may be because I live in the most conservative city in the nation in the reddest state, so this perspective might be out of line with a majority of the country, but here, the attitude towards LGBT people is the most hostile that I've seen it in my lifetime. When talking to religious people, there is a real sense of anger and panic that wasn't there before and they believe that reversing the ruling and enacting additional anti-LGBT laws should be the highest priority of state legislatures and the next President.

Has anybody else noticed a similar thing and do you think overall LGBT acceptance in this country has taken a step backwards since June 2015?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:39 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Look at abortion. SCOTUS stuffed Roe v Wade down the publics throat in 1973. That's 43 years ago and people are still fighting over it. Instead of going state by state for a consensus vote the LGBT crowd used the SCOTUS to shove gay marriage down the publics throat. I'll bet 43 years from now people will still be fighting over abortion and gay marriage. Especially if a sizable Muslim population develops in the US.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:41 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
No one in south Florida is making a fuss about it. Most of my friends and co-workers supported this long before the Supreme Court did.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
I'm in Mississippi and haven't noticed a change in attitudes.
Things are the same as before the ruling except I was able to go to city hall and get a marriage license. No overt hostility. Just life going on as before.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The SCOTUS ruling Obergefell vs Hodges was a great thing in that it brought full marriage equality in all 50 states. With that said, from my own experience, it stirred up a hornet's nest which has set back the overall attitude the public has towards the LGBT community. It may be because I live in the most conservative city in the nation in the reddest state, so this perspective might be out of line with a majority of the country, but here, the attitude towards LGBT people is the most hostile that I've seen it in my lifetime. When talking to religious people, there is a real sense of anger and panic that wasn't there before and they believe that reversing the ruling and enacting additional anti-LGBT laws should be the highest priority of state legislatures and the next President.

Has anybody else noticed a similar thing and do you think overall LGBT acceptance in this country has taken a step backwards since June 2015?

You talk to a lot of religious people about LGBTQIA issues? Interesting.

Do you attend church?
Where do you find all of these religious people?
Do you introduce yourself and then launch into an LGBTQIA questionnaire?
How is the topic broached?

How do you gauge the anger and panic?

What city do you live in?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
I would say that for about 80% of the country, LGBT acceptance is becoming a non-issue. I live in NC and it seems to have disappeared from the conversation. It reminds me of mixed-race marriages, something rare 40 years ago and now nobody thinks about it to any great extent. In another 10 years, it won't be talked about very much! It's a much "softer" dividing issue than say, abortion.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM

677 posts, read 653,386 times
The answer is both a yes and a no. Are hard-right "christians" upset and screaming in the wind? Sure, just like the racists did when the civil rights movement was taking place. Are they trying to pass new laws to subvert the rights of LGBTQ people? Yeah, that's happening as well.

However, the country has moved beyond the ignorant rubes, so in that respect, no I don't think it has taken a step back as far as acceptance. It is just the death throws of complaints from the ignorant.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Look at abortion. SCOTUS stuffed Roe v Wade down the publics throat in 1973. That's 43 years ago and people are still fighting over it. Instead of going state by state for a consensus vote the LGBT crowd used the SCOTUS to shove gay marriage down the publics throat. I'll bet 43 years from now people will still be fighting over abortion and gay marriage. Especially if a sizable Muslim population develops in the US.
the federal government had no authority to make a ruling on abortion, which had been illegal in this nation, since before the constitution was thought of.

No amendment, by the people was made.
same with gay marriage.

the courts have created amendments that were never there, because they feel it should be, when the actual text says it shouldn't.
Judicial emotions have created rights where they never existed, all on what should be, in their minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoLMW5AF4Y#t=86

Old 02-18-2016, 12:36 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
the federal government had no authority to make a ruling on abortion, which had been illegal in this nation, since before the constitution was thought of.

same with gay marriage.

the courts have created amendments that were never there, because they feel it should be, when the actual text says it shouldn't.
Judicial emotions have created rights where they never existed, all on what should be, in their minds.

the federal government does have authority to make sure our rights are given to all people in America even if there are other's who don't think certain people should have them.

we have the right to privacy...including women.
people have the right to marry....including LGBT

neither of these things take anything away from you.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

same with gay marriage.

Actually, the supreme court does have the authority to make rulings. See, that's their job. Remember?
Sounds like YOUR emotions are the problem here, not the supreme court. It's called.......equality. GASP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies