Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times

Advertisements

If you or your relatives benefited from the Affirmative Action, are you/they proud of it? Or do you/they feel slightly inferior to those who got the same job/opportunity without the help of Affirmative Action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
If I'd benefitted from AA (and I don't know for sure, nor have I ever asked), I'd feel no differently than I do now. I'd be just as proud of myself regardless. And I wouldn't feel the least bit inferior to a person that didn't benefit.

Basically, I'd be unfazed.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 AM

296 posts, read 319,238 times
How would anyone know if they benefited from affirmative action? Are hiring managers stamping offer letters with a big red "AA" to notify applicants that they are an AA hire? Any normal person would believe they got hired for their credentials.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Don't know, don't care. My parents are immigrants who worked hard as ever to be successful as did I. I was an A student all through grade school and grew up with much less, without complaint.

I credit God, my family and those close to me who helped mold me. After that, I mainly credit those African-Americans whose struggle opened the doors for my family to come here.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
If you or your relatives benefited from the Affirmative Action, are you/they proud of it? Or do you/they feel slightly inferior to those who got the same job/opportunity without the help of Affirmative Action?
Ask the idiot in the WH.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I was the top student in my high school graduating class in the early 70s. I was a National Merit Scholarship finalist and a National Negro Achievement winner. I kicked total butt on the SAT and ACT.

And it still took Affirmative Action to get me into the university of my choice...and that was just a state university.

The problem is--yet for the Boomer Generation, not nearly so much for Millennials--that when there are 10 openings and 15 equally qualified candidates, 2 of which happen to be black, it's very easy for people who intend to shut out blacks to do so forever and claim to be "color blind."

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was the top student in my high school graduating class in the early 70s. I was a National Merit Scholarship finalist and a National Negro Achievement winner. I kicked total butt on the SAT and ACT.

And it still took Affirmative Action to get me into the university of my choice...and that was just a state university.
And white right-wingers think I'm full of crap when I say without affirmative action, a good old boy white will get ahead of the ad,missions lime over a better qualified minority. White males stand to benefit the most from dismantling affirmative action. This isn't some idea that was born out of concern for those poor Asian students. Your average person is not going to act on the best interests for someone else. People look out for number 1, and that's why most Asians support affirmative action even though right-wingers think they shouldn't. That's also why I don't believe minorities who are Republican represent my interests. They don't.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Along the same lines, if anyone got AA preferential treatment, most likely someone who was better qualified was rejected. Is that right?

How does that person feel (if they know that happened)?

Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I'm white, but I worked for an African-American business for a few years. He used his minority status to get more business as part of a minority supplier preference program in the industry he was in. He also gave preference to hiring (and not firing or disciplining) minorities. One white guy took advantage of this by listing membership in a black club on his resume. The boss hired him over the phone based on his experience. I wish I could have seen the shock on the boss' face when the guy walked in the door.

I also worked for a Pakistani who claimed minority status to get contracts under the same program, even though Pakistanis were not considered minorities. It didn't matter though as the industry was so desperate for minority-owned suppliers, they overlooked this.

I also worked for a woman. I don't know if she claimed minority status, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did.

So yeah, I'm all for Affirmative-Action.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Along the same lines, if anyone got AA preferential treatment, most likely someone who was better qualified was rejected. Is that right?

That is not at all "most likely."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies