Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:28 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,749,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
OP why do you keep posting these threads here when you know it will just result in the same tired comments over and over?

Here, let me save you the trouble:

1. Al Gore is rich. Or just Al Gore in general.
2. Liberals are hysterical.
3. Tax grab.
4. Conspiracy by scientists.
5. AGW has been debunked.
6. It's natural, or we don't know... but whatever the cause, it's NOT human activity.
Is the converse:

1. Halliburton
2. 'Conservatards' are flat earthers
3. Multinational corps preventing a carbon market they can't control
4. Conspiracy by scientists
5. AGW (that is anthropogenic, correct?) the debate is over (I think that one is from the Inconvenient Truth)
6. Hanson worked for NASA, everyone else is a lackey

I actually like your number 6, except the Human part which is still in question to what degree. There is a reasonable middle ground but that one doesn't offer all the opportunities to make fun or mock the other side.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,068,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
To me this is the strongest evidence of global warming....

Sea levels on Earth are rising several times faster than they have in the past 2,800 years and are accelerating because of man-made global warming, according to new studies.

Sea levels are rising faster than they have in 2,800 years - Technology & Science - CBC News

Until the 1880s and the world's industrialization, the fastest seas rose was about three to four centimetres (1 to 1.5 inches) a century, but today the rate of rise is more than a foot per century.

That is already causing problems, which will only get worse in the future.
Do you have any skepticism as to how they could accurately measure sea level rise in the past 2,800 years?
How much has the sea level risen in the past century?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,702,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
To me this is the strongest evidence of global warming....

Sea levels on Earth are rising several times faster than they have in the past 2,800 years and are accelerating because of man-made global warming, according to new studies.

Sea levels are rising faster than they have in 2,800 years - Technology & Science - CBC News

Until the 1880s and the world's industrialization, the fastest seas rose was about three to four centimetres (1 to 1.5 inches) a century, but today the rate of rise is more than a foot per century.

That is already causing problems, which will only get worse in the future.
So tell us, is the planet supposed to head into a cooling phase to slow the rise? Is a cooler planet, or one that takes the day you were born and freezes it in time, the earth climate normal now?

The hubris of you people, trying to tell the planet what climate it should have, and then demanding that it maintain that climate for all eternity. Yup, the day you were born, THAT is climate normal, anything else is a freaking climate crisis.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:01 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,068,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post

I actually like your number 6, except the Human part which is still in question to what degree. There is a reasonable middle ground but that one doesn't offer all the opportunities to make fun or mock the other side.
Excellent!

Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 AM

45,763 posts, read 27,388,717 times
It's encouraging to see most people see this for what it is... a big hoax.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So tell us, is the planet supposed to head into a cooling phase to slow the rise? Is a cooler planet, or one that takes the day you were born and freezes it in time, the earth climate normal now?

The hubris of you people, trying to tell the planet what climate it should have, and then demanding that it maintain that climate for all eternity. Yup, the day you were born, THAT is climate normal, anything else is a freaking climate crisis.
Not to bely the point of the OP but, didn't industrialization begin in the mid 1700's or is my history being skewed by Halliburton? Ok, the last part was mean and I'll retract it, but I can't undo the carbon exchange process from the oxidative phosphorylation of actually typing it....

Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Is the converse:

1. Halliburton
5. AGW (that is anthropogenic, correct?) the debate is over (I think that one is from the Inconvenient Truth)

CO2 is a minor greenhouse gas, it's a trace gas, which only makes up 0.04% of our planet's total atmosphere. Water vapor and methane are the major greenhouse gases and are significantly more influential than CO2.

Humans are responsible for about 3% of of that 0.04%, in the atmosphere. The natural functions of planet earth make up the other 97% of CO2.

People like the OP want to try to scare us all to death. Trying to convince us that a 3% increase to the 0.04% of CO2, is not only causing the planet to warm up, but that minuscule percent increase is catastrophically warming the planet.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM

572 posts, read 280,889 times
Quote:
Is the converse:

1. Halliburton

The 'conspiracy by scientists' is on your side... it goes something like 'If scientists don't find evidence of AGW then they won't get paid', therefore thousands of climatologists around the world are fudging their data so that they can earn 90k/year and help Al Gore get rich. There are always liberal coverups going on in NASA and at the IPCC and all around the world.

I don't see anyone using the word 'conservatards' here. They do say 'deniers', though.

Also, my #6 is mostly about the 'climate change is natural' people who would easily believe that all climate change is caused by angry unicorns before they would ever consider the possibility that a known greenhouse gas could ever be responsible, and will offer up any number of outlandish theories as if they're credible.

There really isn't so much debate about whether or not global warming is natural or to what extent humans are influencing the climate. We know that the warming is remarkably fast, we know that CO2 is a heat-trapping gas, we know that the CO2 content of the atmosphere has increased, we know the extra carbon does not have the low-carbon 14 signature that comes from natural sources... so there really is no other explanation.

Human Caused Global Warming — OSS Foundation

Of course, CO2 isn't the only greenhouse gas, but it is the main driver of the greenhouse effect. It's not complicated, the evidence is overwhelming, and there really is no mystery at all.

This is why these threads are so frustrating-- it's impossible to get past the same talking points with anyone because all they see is the liberal plot to steal their money, 'it is cold today' and/or 'this guy from the Cato institute thinks AGW is a scam... LOL liberals'.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Not to bely the point of the OP but, didn't industrialization begin in the mid 1700's or is my history being skewed by Halliburton? Ok, the last part was mean and I'll retract it, but I can't undo the carbon exchange process from the oxidative phosphorylation of actually typing it....
People have been burning wood and coal to stay warm for centuries, and the planet's natural production of CO2 has always dwarfed anything humans have done, then or now.

Throughout the 1700s, humans produced what percent of the total 0.04% of CO2 in the atmosphere?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
People have been burning wood and coal to stay warm for centuries, and the planet's natural production of CO2 has always dwarfed anything humans have done, then or now.

Throughout the 1700s, humans produced what percent of the total 0.04% of CO2 in the atmosphere?
Umm.... my response was to the obvious 'industrialization of the 1880's' vs. the 1700's when it started in England, parts of Europe, and exponetionally here, and more recently in China and India.

Or, in short, it was a humorous response to the original contention of the OP, and the article cited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies