Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 05:04 AM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Best Pro Life argument? The baby being aborted could have been the one who would grow up to find the cure for cancer or AIDS......

Best Pro Choice argument. Women were doing it anyways and were dying in back alleys from being butchered. Best to keep it legal and keep them safe. Either way, sadly, most women I know end up regretting it and feeling guilty about what they done decades later.
Good post, can't argue with both those points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 05:06 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
#1 : Feel free to poll all the aborted fetuses and ask their opinion on losing the "right to live."
Oh, right, my bad.
OKAY, poll the folks around you and see if they'd prefer to never have been born...
Very few, eh?
Life must be something "valuable" for folks to cling to it, so hard.
As to #2 - respecting sentient and sapient life doesn't mean not consuming other lifeforms, like fungus, yeasts, vegetables, fruits, fishes, crustaceans, fowl, and even mammals.
- - -
Waxing philosophical, the meaning of life is life itself. Dead things have no meaning.
The goal of all life is more abundant life.
And life is an endless struggle against extinction by a hostile inanimate universe.
Don't help it along by killing immature beings, because of "inconvenience" or "privacy."
And if you think that there are other species that have a higher cognitive function than humans, please present your candidates.
Frankly, any society that kills its helpless immature members is not civilized, IMHO.
. . . . . .
Good advice : Try to be the kind of person you’d prefer to spend eternity with, rather than avoid. Either way, you make your own heaven or hell. And if there is a sovereign of the universe, in that realm of timeless eternal thought, your own intrinsic nature will determine if you can associate with or be denied access to that being. Since like attracts like, being dissimilar will exile one from the other.

I may be wrong, but feticide (intentional destruction of a human fetus) is still a crime, and it seems to me that in that realm, one may find oneself on the "Group W Bench."
(Obscure reference to "Alice's Restaurant.")

: : : : : : : : : : : : : :
"The Secret - There is no Secret"
Snippet from "The Martian Chronicles" mini-series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfypTnKYN5s

ANECDOTE:
I knew a woman who had three abortions and later bore two sons. She wept, when one of them wished he had more sisters and brothers.
Exactly. We have members here who claim paying taxes is the price of living in a civilized society. Well, clearly we're NOT a civilized society when we allow women to kill the most vulnerable members, at will, just for the sake of their own convenience.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No doubt alcohol is a huge factor in unwanted pregnancy, just like it is in other unwise decisions. Young women are binge drinking way more than they used to.

We’re talking a lot here about irresponsibility and how that plays into abortion rates. There are people that just can’t manage their lives no matter how much you threaten them with dire consequences. But there are also people who grow up ashamed about sex, ignorant of how to properly manage reproduction, and who would rather have unprotected sex and take the chance than go into a clinic and talk about sex with a stranger.

Regardless, I don’t know how one keeps irresponsible or naive or just straight up immature women responsible for the well being of the developing foetus if they’re being railroaded into carrying the pregnancy. It’s all good in theory, having them give the baby up for adoption, but how many of those babies are going to have been affected by drugs, alcohol, tobacco in the womb? If you don’t want the baby it doesn’t follow that you’re going to make all those sacrifices you have to make when you’re pregnant.

We have long term BC solutions that would solve a lot of theses issues, in a practical sense. If we dropped the stigma around young women getting implants, IUD’s - that kind of long term no drama BC, encouraged teenagers to get it, not assuming they’re going to have sex and not encouraging such, just being practical about it, and non judgmental - a lot of these issues wouldn’t even occur. You’d have to consciously make the decision to remove the BC to get pregnant.

If getting BC was a rite of passage like getting your license, and being open about sex and its consequences was the norm, and as a society we stopped judging people for being sexually active, many pregnancies wouldn’t happen in the first place.
That is how healthy families function, especially those with daughters.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Call it Pro Life Vs Pro Death......in this day and age no adult, baring rape, need never get pregnant. Birth control is too readily available, cheap and effective. Use a couple of them at the same time and it is almost impossible to get pregnant. Of course we have convinced too many generations that having any personal responsibility is just not necessary.
Very accurate description. That's exactly what it is.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Call it Pro Life Vs Pro Death......in this day and age no adult, baring rape, need never get pregnant. Birth control is too readily available, cheap and effective. Use a couple of them at the same time and it is almost impossible to get pregnant. Of course we have convinced too many generations that having any personal responsibility is just not necessary.
Call it pro choice vs pro-welfare.

If you think poor people having children constitutes personal responsibility, when in reality YOUR taxes will fund their upbringing, then you need to wake up. There would be a lot less criminals today if unwanted kids were not here.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Call it pro choice vs pro-welfare.

If you think poor people having children constitutes personal responsibility, when in reality YOUR taxes will fund their upbringing, then you need to wake up. There would be a lot less criminals today if unwanted kids were not here.
Stop paying people to breed. By doing that, it encourages the highest birth rates among the poor and illegal aliens. It's why our society is devolving.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:04 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,546 times
First of all, I'll state that abortion makes me sad. I'd favor giving a financial incentive from taxpayer dollars for women to keep the baby and then give it up for adoption.

I also don't care for the semantics of fetus is not a baby. Obviously, the fetus is a living human being, and sometime in its development has all the characteristics of a newborn. We can quibble where to draw the line (15 weeks, 16 weeks) but I think all of this misses the point ->

At the end of the day, it's the woman's body. She can do whatever she wants with her body. The fact the baby is growing inside her, and is its own human being is sadly inconsequential. We cannot force women to be slaves to another living being if they don't want to be. To me this is crystal clear. I support keeping abortion legal at all points in the pregnancy. Once it's born, that's different. She can no longer kill it, she can give it up for adoption if she doesn't want to take care of it.

I'm not concerned with blaming people either. Oh, you should have used BC etc etc. People make mistakes. These mistakes happen, and will happen. Forcing a woman to undergo hormonal changes and physical changes as well as discomfort for 9 months due to a small mistake does not fly with me.

But like I said, it does make me sad, and I'd be happy to give women financial incentives to keep the baby, but this has to be done in such a way to prevent fraud.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Stop paying people to breed. By doing that, it encourages the highest birth rates among the poor and illegal aliens. It's why our society is devolving.
Bingo.

When you pay poor people to breed, that's exactly what they're going to do. Tax credits, tax deductions, subsidies, SNAP, WIC, EBT, having kids is basically an ATM in America. Bonus points if you're a foreigner, now your kids will be U.S. citizens.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by informedconsent View Post
exactly. We have members here who claim paying taxes is the price of living in a civilized society. Well, clearly we're not a civilized society when we allow women to kill the most vulnerable members, at will, just for the sake of their own convenience.
bingo

Old 04-18-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
First of all, I'll state that abortion makes me sad. I'd favor giving a financial incentive from taxpayer dollars for women to keep the baby and then give it up for adoption.

I also don't care for the semantics of fetus is not a baby. Obviously, the fetus is a living human being, and sometime in its development has all the characteristics of a newborn. We can quibble where to draw the line (15 weeks, 16 weeks) but I think all of this misses the point ->

At the end of the day, it's the woman's body. She can do whatever she wants with her body. The fact the baby is growing inside her, and is its own human being is sadly inconsequential. We cannot force women to be slaves to another living being if they don't want to be. To me this is crystal clear. I support keeping abortion legal at all points in the pregnancy. Once it's born, that's different. She can no longer kill it, she can give it up for adoption if she doesn't want to take care of it.

I'm not concerned with blaming people either. Oh, you should have used BC etc etc. People make mistakes. These mistakes happen, and will happen. Forcing a woman to undergo hormonal changes and physical changes as well as discomfort for 9 months due to a small mistake does not fly with me.

But like I said, it does make me sad, and I'd be happy to give women financial incentives to keep the baby, but this has to be done in such a way to prevent fraud.
Again, 90% of the women seeking abortion VOLUNTARILY participated in unprotected sex. THAT'S when they made their choice, knowing full well pregnancy could result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies