Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

It didn't take long. After the people in Great Britain voted the Brit elites are looking for technicalities to overturn the people's wishes, just like here with Trump, the Republican elites and the US primaries to the convention.

Sound familiar?

Quote:
"Former London mayor Boris Johnson, whose support for the leave camp galvanized the "Out" campaign, is favorite to replace Cameron but media have reported that there is a group of pro-Cameron lawmakers looking for 'anyone but Boris'."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/eu-vote-tr...122438902.html
In the "must be going to lose money, control and/or power" category just like the Republican elites:

Quote:
"Nicola Sturgeon has warned she would consider asking Holyrood to block the UK's departure from Europe if MSPs are required to give formal backing for Brexit."

Nicola sturgeon: scottish parliament could block brexit | Daily Mail Online
Pitchforks and torches, anyone?

Quote:
"The referendum vote to leave the EU is not binding––the decision must be officially ratified by Parliament, following any legal challenges. This gives the Members of Parliament, who mostly oppose the Brexit, an opportunity to vote to stay in the EU."
Then there is, just keep voting until you get your way which is how many US School Districts handle a vote that doesn't go their way: A re-do referendum

Or try to get the EU to concede on immigration (so the Elites can throw the UK people a bone and still the Brit Elites get what they want) with the UK but which the EU won't do.

Or this one: Get Scotland and Northern Ireland veto the decision even though there is no law that says they can.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/britain-r...081452041.html

And then there is the voter shaming tactic: Sound like what we Trump voters put up with? Only old people want to leave. Only stupid people voted to leave and my favorite from OMIGOD The Washington Post. Who would have thunk it?

I kid you not:

Quote:
"The uncomfortable question: Was the Brexit vote based on racism?

As the world tries to make sense of Britain's vote to leave the European Union, an uncomfortable question keeps coming up: Is there a link between racist and intolerant attitudes in Britain and Britons' animosity toward the E.U.?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sed-on-racism/

Old 06-26-2016, 10:29 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You are right we are fed up. If you look at the voting map of Britain for the EU referendum, the vast majority of England and Wales voted to leave the EU. Scotland and parts of London voted to remain.

We have been talked down to, and told to shut up for decades. Racists has been a favourite word used. If we expressed concern for our towns and cities being invaded by foreigners, for our schools being overwhelmed with immigrants children unable to speak English, worries for lack of housing, and soaring rents, fighting for minimum wage jobs, we were were called backward, and racist.

Well the brave new world seems just fine for the elite, for the working class, not so much. Well, we got a vote, and told them we don't want this situation to continue. The rottenness of the system has been revealed for all to see. A government frozen, not knowing what to do, and the opposition, supposing to be ready to form a government if necessary, in turmoil. So far today, Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour party leader, has had eight resignations from his shadow cabinet. They refuse to work with him any more, but he humself refuses to resign. The whole political system of England has practically collapsed. The whole stinking system has been revealed for what it is.

Now, I feel an attempt is going to be made to refuse to accept the result of the referendum. A vote by the people, won by a majority of one and a half million votes. Well, the political elite is going to be in for a shock if they try this.

This is the map showing the overwhelming victory for the leave vote in England.......

https://ig.ft.com/sites/elections/20...eu-referendum/
I heard on our news yesterday that the leftist elitists in your country are attempting to call the referendum a non binding vote. I can only imagine the uproar this will cause, to be cheated out of what the people have legally voted for simply because the losing side doesn't like it.
Your description of how you are treated by the left isn't very different here in the States at all. In fact, the liberals here use the word "racist" so often in describing anyone that doesn't think like they do, that the word virtually has no meaning any longer, and no one cares anymore. Besides being a racist, if you disagree with the lefts agenda here they label you as a fascist, Hitler, redneck, and uneducated.
The agenda on the left here is to have open borders for everyone and those currently here illegally given amnesty. These people who have crossed our borders without any concern for any laws are given everything they want including subsidized housing, free education, welfare, free healthcare and still demand more. If you dare stand up to them as Trump has done, they become violent and riot in the streets, throwing rocks, bloodying people that attend Trump rallies, blocking roadways and burning the American flag while waving their Mexican flags. This is what our country has become and the liberals come to their defense including Obama and Clinton. What makes it worse is the fact that these illegals come here and have "anchor babies", children that are American citizens simply because they were born within our borders even though their parents are illegal. No other country in the world could be this stupid.
You sir are most fortunate that you were able to have a national referendum where the peoples voices are heard. We are not so fortunate here. We have no such national referendums and the vast majority of the media is bought and paid for by liberals that tell people how to vote, think and behave.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:05 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I heard on our news yesterday that the leftist elitists in your country are attempting to call the referendum a non binding vote. I can only imagine the uproar this will cause, to be cheated out of what the people have legally voted for simply because the losing side doesn't like it.
Your description of how you are treated by the left isn't very different here in the States at all. In fact, the liberals here use the word "racist" so often in describing anyone that doesn't think like they do, that the word virtually has no meaning any longer, and no one cares anymore. Besides being a racist, if you disagree with the lefts agenda here they label you as a fascist, Hitler, redneck, and uneducated.
The agenda on the left here is to have open borders for everyone and those currently here illegally given amnesty. These people who have crossed our borders without any concern for any laws are given everything they want including subsidized housing, free education, welfare, free healthcare and still demand more. If you dare stand up to them as Trump has done, they become violent and riot in the streets, throwing rocks, bloodying people that attend Trump rallies, blocking roadways and burning the American flag while waving their Mexican flags. This is what our country has become and the liberals come to their defense including Obama and Clinton. What makes it worse is the fact that these illegals come here and have "anchor babies", children that are American citizens simply because they were born within our borders even though their parents are illegal. No other country in the world could be this stupid.
You sir are most fortunate that you were able to have a national referendum where the peoples voices are heard. We are not so fortunate here. We have no such national referendums and the vast majority of the media is bought and paid for by liberals that tell people how to vote, think and behave.
I recognize the similarities with the American situation. Our leaders seem hell bent on destruction of the ordinary working class folks. We have been cowed for decades by our so called leaders.

To us, it doesn't make any sense. Why do we get the same old spiel........ to be told how lucky we are to have 'diversity' and the benefits of 'multiculturalism.' Well, I've watched my country change till its unrecognizable from my youth. I don't see the benefits, and neither do millions of my countrymen. All we see are parallel societies. Previous immigrants from the 60s and 70s still have little to do with the white English people, and seem to quietly despise us.

In recent years we have had an influx of immigrants from eastern Europe. Out of a total of 85,000 in our jails, 11,000 are foreigners. Most immigrants are hard working folks, but we also get some real hard core criminals, and we can't even seem to deport many of them when their sentences are completed.

All we want is to regain control of our borders, and of course recognizing that we need educated immigrants in some cases. But we don't need unemployable people coming here, and Europe's criminals, like gangs of pickpockets.

We finally get a vote, and our leaders seem to be plotting to find a way to overturn the result. There is growing anger, and god help those politicians in London if they don't accept the will of the majority of the voting public.

Poland tops league for foreign inmates in UK jails ahead of Ireland and Jamaica | Daily Mail Online

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anti...ice-london-045

Old 06-26-2016, 11:13 AM

299 posts, read 187,259 times
Quote:
I recognize the similarities with the American situation. Our leaders seem hell bent on destruction of the ordinary working class folks. We have been cowed for decades by our so called leaders.

To us, it doesn't make any sense. Why do we get the same old spiel........ to be told how lucky we are to have 'diversity' and the benefits of 'multiculturalism.' Well, I've watched my country change till its unrecognizable from my youth. I don't see the benefits, and neither do millions of my countrymen. All we see are parallel societies. Previous immigrants from the 60s and 70s still have little to do with the white English people, and seem to quietly despise us.

In recent years we have had an influx of immigrants from eastern Europe. Out of a total of 85,000 in our jails, 11,000 are foreigners. Most immigrants are hard working folks, but we also get some real hard core criminals, and we can't even seem to deport many of them when their sentences are completed.

All we want is to regain control of our borders, and of course recognizing that we need educated immigrants in some cases. But we don't need unemployable people coming here, and Europe's criminals, like gangs of pickpockets.

We finally get a vote, and our leaders seem to be plotting to find a way to overturn the result. There is growing anger, and god help those politicians in London if they don't accept the will of the majority of the voting public.

Poland tops league for foreign inmates in UK jails ahead of Ireland and Jamaica | Daily Mail Online

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anti...ice-london-045
Everything you say is correct. It is quite different from my childhood as well. To add to your post. This is a good read as well for those who want to know more

How Labour has turned London into a foreign city | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by GritsCode; 06-26-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 11:35 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well your statement that white British make up 45% of the population in London, are non-white also considered British citizens.

Scotland isn't important, it sure seemed so when they voted last year on exiting GB. So is N. Ireland important.
If Scotland was truly important, they would not even allowed the vote. You will never see the US allow a state to vote to leave the US, and the US has and will go to war if any tried.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
If Scotland was truly important, they would not even allowed the vote. You will never see the US allow a state to vote to leave the US, and the US has and will go to war if any tried.
If things don't change we may get to find out what will happen.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:51 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Most states would lack the standing of a Scotland. But sure a state could hold a vote to leave the union and then petition the Congress to approve it. And if the congress approved they could leave.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:59 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
This is the map showing the overwhelming victory for the leave vote in England.......

https://ig.ft.com/sites/elections/20...eu-referendum/
That is a map of the disenfranchised.

The Left here in the US could learn a thing or two, but I doubt they ever will.

Quote:
So you admit the US government is not a benevolent entity. Great.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:14 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Thanks to English Dave I begin the understand what this is about. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
It does not appear obscure. Immigration was the issue that did it. And it was EU immigration not the refugees.
The young however did not agree. The aggregate vote of all those under 50 was remain with much stronger support for remain in the 18-24 group.

Much the same thing exists in the US. See the House. But they cannot get to anything above about 35 or 40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies