Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 06:40 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
UK will be going to recession and those labor guys will wonder where the next pay check comes from, I understand the dole is not so good.

The large currency issue will affect the entire UK and not nicely.

the Brits will invade the USA and take it back -- not forcefully by migrating

Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
First of all we were talking about London citizens, not Australia, not Pakistan but London voters.

I am probably wasting my time at this point but let me ask you again, where are the statistics that most of those in London voting to stay were foreigners.

Can you just read this link?

EU referendum: England's most pro and anti-EU boroughs - BBC News

Some relevant information...

Quote:
Boston in south Lincolnshire recorded the highest leave vote in the UK, with 75.6% backing Brexit.
The borough of Lambeth in south London saw almost the reverse result, with 78.6% of voters supporting Remain.

At the scene in Boston. The vote comes against the backdrop of local concerns over the number of migrant workers in the town, and the increased pressure on local services... In one of the UK's most extreme examples of a town affected by recent EU immigration.

The last census in 2011 showed the population increased by 15.9% between 2001 and 2011 - twice the national rate

At the scene in Lambeth. Finding anyone who backed Brexit in an area where four out of five people supported the Remain campaign was almost impossible.

Many shoppers, stallholders and residents in this ethnically diverse, but increasingly gentrified area of south London, expressed frustration that despite overwhelmingly voting to stay in the European Union, immigration concerns elsewhere in the UK meant they would be removed from the EU.

Lambeth is one of the most densely populated places in the country with a complex social and ethnic mix, with large African and Portuguese populations. A destination for young working-age people rather than families.

Basically, the UK referendum was about the British people telling the rest of the world to bugger off.

What effect do you honestly think that would have on people who are foreign-born? Since in most cases, their families still live in another country.

Why would anyone in their right mind believe that the foreign-born didn't vote overwhelmingly to remain in the EU? It is quite obvious that it was the native-born who voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. Which should be unsurprising why London voted for remain, since it has more foreign-born than anywhere else in the entire country.

Why are you even arguing about it? Have nothing better to do?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-24-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 06:45 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

Who can vote in the EU referendum?

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens who live in the UK, along with Britons who have lived abroad for less than 15 years, are eligible to vote.
As with other elections, only people aged 18 and over can cast their vote in the nationwide referendum today.
Young Scots aged 16 and 17 can vote in Scottish elections but they cannot vote in the EU referendum because voters must be at least 18.
Which Commonwealth citizens can vote?

Commonwealth migrants from 54 states - including *Australia, Canada, India, Pakistan and Nigeria - could join the electoral roll as long are they are residents in the UK.

Unlike in general elections, Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar are allowed to vote and have gone to the polls in the EU referendum.

Do you have trouble understanding this? They are citizens from their own (non-EU) country. They are not British citizens.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:45 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
All those EU "Rules" that members of the EU must follow is loss of Sovereignty.
The 2 Main issues for Exit were Immigration & Sovereignty. Every Law in the UK must have a clause in it saying it is subject to EU Law & Approval. Think about that for a minute.
Why would you expect different, do you want the 26 members going their own way, if so it is no loner a union.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
UK will be going to recession and those labor guys will wonder where the next pay check comes from, I understand the dole is not so good.

The large currency issue will affect the entire UK and not nicely.
Funny the DAX and CAC did much worst today than the FTSI 100, Wonder why.

bill

Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Well...The only regretful statements are coming from those who voted for exit..Those who wanted to remain voted for it because THEY knew some of the consequences..NOT all by any means..However, Detaching from a very complex relationship will not be easily facilitated..in fact will take YEATS..STarting at 2 years and could very well go many years down the road.. Meanwhile?? What..Multinational Corporations, who have base in UK have no idea what will happen much less how to conduct their investments ..Thus..confusion for Corporate as well as Investors...Consequences are totally unknown right now..

My evidence as of today is Look at what sectors were directly affected today? Dow, was basically selling off what they could..buying up Gold Bullion Stocks ( safe haven)..meanwhile Nothing other than referendum vote to remove themselves from EU Pact has occurred. SO anybody with investments or with 401K's will see just today the consequences..While it's only on paper..but is realized for those who actually use those investments as am "Income Generation Vehicle"..Thus it hurts monthly ..and losses of value that may get extended for years..WILL DEPLETE those funds...

Puleeze..calling me uneducated is nothing more than silly really..I am not in my position now from being uneducated as I've been thru many recessions, market crashes..and learned with each one..how to perceive consequences and how to handle it..All Investment Advisors have asked HOW I managed it..ALL I could say is BE AWARE..watch everything..and be strategic...SO Hey..Good luck with your stategy You will learn ..the hardly by turing your head in the sand..So Good luck
Basing your evidence on stock market performance alone is faulty and just not an accurate assessment of the entire situation. Just like you can't prove that these google searches were done by people who voted no because its literally impossible, you also cant assume that just because the expectation was that the market would drop that people would let that deter their vote. Peoples voting motivation can't be solely tied to just their expectation for short term (3-5 year) stock market performance. Many MANY people have claimed (right or wrong) that this vote had everything to do with immigration policy and the general concept of feeling as if they were being governed from afar. Again, those motivations alone could far outweigh the economic impact for SO many voters, so your chest thumping about what a great investment advisory you are has zero to do with some psychic ability you claim to have regarding SEO knowledge that just doesn't even exist.

I'm quite content with my situation thank you though, I'm sure I'm not getting the amazing returns of someone like you since everyone is always asking "Oh my god how do you do it?" but I always have cash on the side for situations like this...but again, none of this has anything to do with you being able to predict or correlate that the majority of these searches were coming from exit voters with regret.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
So the Britsh Pound that just dropped to a 30 year low will have no impact on trade? That won't seem like a bargain relative to US dollars.

Yes it will take 2 years and all 26 members need to come to agreement on the GB treaties and other policies, should be easy.
A one day drop is meaningless.

95% of the treaties will be agreed upon within a few months, many on the first day of negotiations.
Both sides known how much money is on the line.

Your doom and gloom fantasy is only in your head.

bill

Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
They are all British citizens regardless of their background, they are not foreigners. What is the definition of a foreigner.

I would love to see a break down by age or education level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishReaper View Post
They are not all British citizens. Most are foreigners. They don't have to be a British citizen to have voted. A lot of them can't even speak the official language(English) of the UK
Quote:
The ground rules are British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens who live in the UK, along with Britons who have lived abroad for less than 15 years, are eligible to vote.

I would expect that an overwhelming percentage are presently citizens unless you have some facts to back up your opinion.
Quote:
First of all we were talking about London citizens, not Australia, not Pakistan but London voters.
We were talking about London voters. You posted part of who is allowed to vote and claimed they are all British citizens.

I posted British citizens, Irish citizens and citizens from non-EU (Commonwealth) countries voted in Brexit. Commonwealth citizen is someone from a non-EU country(including Australia, Pakistan etc..) who lives in the UK either temporary or long-term A lot of the voters from last night in London are Commonwealth citizens here to go to school or whatever. How do you not understand this.

Quote:
I am probably wasting my time at this point but let me ask you again, where are the statistics that most of those in London voting to stay were foreigners.
I didn't make such claim. You asked someone else that

Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Forget what the polls said, forget what the vote results were. You had( again) the magic 52 to 48 number, the result that whatever the desired outcome coincidentally becomes. Look at those making a killing financially and that's who control things.
They're the same ones who wanted Bush and Obama in office and pulled their strings and now want Hillary.
They'll trash economies and start wars to get what they want a decade down the road. ISIS, the Global Warming scam, banking collapses, illegal immigration and refugees, gun control, its all orchestrated towards a desired goal. Keep the population scared and confused and weaken them to the point where they demand somebody step in and take control.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Immigration and regulation by unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats that weren't even their own countrymen drove the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies